on a positive note!!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codriver

The probable reason why most of us have bought a Phev (apart from the obvious BIK for company cars) is for fuel savings. I'm a predominantly short trip user and I filled up the car over 2 weeks ago, I've done 255 miles since and the fuel tank is still full!! not sure what mileage i'll have done by the time the tank is empty but it will work out at shed loads to the gallon by the time it is!

You're deluding yourselves. You may be getting loads of miles per gallon of fuel ...but what about all the 'leccy' you've stuffed into the battery!

I did a 120 mile return motorway trip at motorway speeds (not exceeding 70mph) yesterday and watched the economy slide down to 30 mpg! A far more realistic figure for a car that is used on mixed journeys.
My wife said we should get rid of it as she prefers >50mpg diesels with large fuel tanks so you can go more than 300 miles on a tank( inc. battery)!

And cold weather is a killer:

Morning start of car range 24 miles
Heater on (it's cold) range now 20 miles
AirCon on (steamy windows!) range now 18 miles
Drive 1 mile up hill (I live at the bottom) range now 14 miles...

Lucky I never believed 148mpg but a third of that would have been nice!

..and if £1 of said leccy get's me about 25 miles that is still only the price of 1 litre of fuel!

Tipper said:
You're deluding yourselves. You may be getting loads of miles per gallon of fuel ...but what about all the 'leccy' you've stuffed into the battery!

I did a 120 mile return motorway trip at motorway speeds (not exceeding 70mph) yesterday and watched the economy slide down to 30 mpg! A far more realistic figure for a car that is used on mixed journeys.
My wife said we should get rid of it as she prefers >50mpg diesels with large fuel tanks so you can go more than 300 miles on a tank( inc. battery)!

And cold weather is a killer:

Morning start of car range 24 miles
Heater on (it's cold) range now 20 miles
AirCon on (steamy windows!) range now 18 miles
Drive 1 mile up hill (I live at the bottom) range now 14 miles...

Lucky I never believed 148mpg but a third of that would have been nice!

Of course you will have to factor in DPF issues and clogged up intakes if your diesel is predominantly used on short journeys.
Horses for courses...

Codriver said:
..and if £1 of said leccy get's me about 25 miles that is still only the price of 1 litre of fuel!

It's certainly cheaper on electricity, but unless you have a large solar array, it is not free - bout one third to one quarter of the petrol running cost typically

Tipper said:

I dont think people are deluding themselves just choosing the cheaper fuel option. Even at your lowest EV estimate its still a cheaper option. Its certainly not the right car for long journeys but if you / or wife fits the profile of short journeys its a no brainer. But the biggest thing about the Outlander PHEV is its put this technology on the map As more are sold potentially the cheaper they will get and the faster the improvements in battery range. Consider yourself an ambassador ;-)

Mitssupplier said:
Tipper said:

I dont think people are deluding themselves just choosing the cheaper fuel option. Even at your lowest EV estimate its still a cheaper option. Its certainly not the right car for long journeys but if you / or wife fits the profile of short journeys its a no brainer. But the biggest thing about the Outlander PHEV is its put this technology on the map As more are sold potentially the cheaper they will get and the faster the improvements in battery range. Consider yourself an ambassador ;-)

Cheaper fuel yes but only for less than 20 miles at this time of year in the UK! It's either petrol or stop at every motorway services to gain another 15 miles.

And don't you think it would be nice if Mitsubishi treated their 'ambassadors' to a free software upgrade to match the latest spec PHEVs? As far as I know there are no hardware changes between the 2014 and 2016 cars so should be really easy for 'you' to do. (Not that I'm expecting 156mpg either!)

I'll second that comment from Tipper. Also I am sure we could all come up with a list of improvements that might not be in the latest model but could be in future versions.

If you drive in London, then you can "save" the congestion charge. With other cities now considering similar charging . . . .

Also, there is talk of EV being able to use bus lanes, do not know if this includes PHEV, but it is still in early discussions.

Now nudging 1855miles with a 121mpg / 3.2miles per KW average. MPG dropped with a 400mile round trip to Wales one weekend much to the Wife's anguish. Average for that run was 40mpg.

The car replaced an X5 diesel which averaged about 28mpg and around 0.06p a mile for tyres (£1200 to £1350 for a set of four tyres per 20,000 miles).

Tipper said:
Cheaper fuel yes but only for less than 20 miles at this time of year in the UK! It's either petrol or stop at every motorway services to gain another 15 miles.

But most drivers in the UK (and other urbanised countries) drive less than that each day :p

Tipper said:

The 'leccy' I stuffed into the battery was either off the 5kw solar array I have on the roof, or the free charge stations we have dotted around Melbourne. I had to pay for the tank of fuel though. :evil: \

The car is not perfect, but it certainly works financially for me 90% of the time. I also on occasions have to go for long trips mostly on petrol, it still costs me less than my previous (Rover 75) car.

I am really unhappy with my mpg on Outlander PHEV

I am also unsure how best to include the Elec input. Searching has suggested that 40kW = 1 gallon - any views?

I have travelled 1520 miles, used £149.00 petrol, £41.80 Elec, £190,80 Total Input - this gives 12.54pence per mile

Current petrol at £4.60 gives 37.7 mpg Which I think is totally unacceptable when my XTrail gave 38-40mpg

If this is not mis-selling I don't know what is!

bazza31 said:

I am also unsure how best to include the Elec input. Searching has suggested that 40kW = 1 gallon - any views?

I have travelled 1520 miles, used £149.00 petrol, £41.80 Elec, £190,80 Total Input - this gives 12.54pence per mile

Current petrol at £4.60 gives 37.7 mpg Which I think is totally unacceptable when my XTrail gave 38-40mpg

Unless your driving pattern is almost exclusively short journeys, a figure between 40mpg and about 45mpg is to be expected. This is completely predictable given the data on the Mitsubishi web site. Manufacturers are constrained to quote the figures calculated by the official tests - these are particularly favourable to plugin hybrids, so Mitsubishi are very pleased to stick to the letter of the law. The PHEV used as a general purpose large 4WD estate is not particularly fuel efficient or environmentally friendly, but it is very tax efficient.

If you are getting less than 38mpg, you must have a rather heavy right foot - our PHEV is effectively run as a petrol car and I don't drive particularly gently, but have a lifetime average of about 44mpg.

bazza31 said:

P.S. it's probably more like 15 to 20kWh per gallon. A full charge is about 10kWh and will take you somewhere between 20 and 30 miles depending on your driving style. A gallon should take you about 40 miles - do the sums...

I've got economy 7 here and a full charge costs me about 60 pence. If I only got 20 miles per charge, at 4.75 per gallon round here, thats equivalent to about 160 mpg.

I get about 35 mpg on petrol, or sometimes 30 at motorway speeds if no charge is available. Its a decent large car with running costs better than half of any other I've owned.

I wouldnt have one if I had a long commute though.

Back