One week in update

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel188

Took delivery of my car on Monday morning and now 500 miles later have a few points / questions.

I am a BIK driver, but I am buying into the alternative fuel and plan to use EV mode as much as possible.

Am loving the view out of the windscreen, and find all round visibility excellent aided by the fabulous headlights. Even my children have noticed how much better they are than my previous car (Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 2.0 CDTi Auto)

At 6'2" I'm glad that my car doesn't have a sunroof as this leaves loads of headroom, however, even though I have the driver's seat right back and as far down as it will go, my left leg still presses against the centre tunnel. I'm have to re learn the way I position that leg, it will come

Fuel economy is so so; I'm getting used to the vagaries of the various settings but my best mpg was over 200 following a motorway top up charge, but the same trip ended with a mid 20's average.

As mentioned by me, and others, in a previous post the thing that really surprises me, for such an expensive car is the lack of button illumination and the lack of auto lock when starting off. Also, having used them a few times this week, the heated seat switches are very badly positioned right under the lip of the armrest. There is a whole row of blank buttons in the console in front of the drive selector, why not put them there where you can see them. Equally, just like all the buttons on all the doors, they should be fully illuminated so all text or icons are clearly visible all the time.

For such a clever car, this is such a glaring omission that I can feel a letter to Mitsubishi UK coming on.

I am yet to set up the app to control charging and heating, but as the key fob has an 'end' switch for the climate, shouldn't it have 'start' on the other side? Or if only one button, surely 'start' would be the more useful one. A quick press from inside the house to turn the climate on 10 minutes before going outside has to be better, because you can always over-ride it when you get in the car to drive off anyway.

All in all, fantastic car let down by attention to details that should be second nature.

Don't know if I am extra dim this morning. What is a BlK driver??
You have obviously bought a new one as the headlights (high beam only) on my 15 reg are absolute cr@p. As I have said elsewhere why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar*. HID low beams & tungsten high beams. What moron dreamt that up?
I don't understand your difficulty with your seating comfort.
I am 6'2" WITH a sun roof. (not me, the car :lol: ) My seat is RIGHT UP as high as it will go and I am sitting perfectly (as far as I am concerned) Do you have an electric driver's seat? Perhaps that is the difference?
Fuel economy. I am mainly on EV but when I do an 80 mile round trip with no charging facilities at the turnround point I come home on hybrid (cross country A road and a bit of A35 dual carriageway) and return 40.1mpg. My overall mpg mainly on leccy is showing 75.1 at the moment.
If you have not been taught how to use the paddles properly, I suggest you go back to the dealer and tell him you wand a demo drive with him showing you how they should be used. By so doing I actually managed an electric mile equal to a real mile, which is quite an achievement I find!!
* I could not agree with you more! As I have bored others previously. I came from owning 2 Yeti's (one after the other) . 4 one touch windows with illuminated buttons. Sun roof close-able from the key fob (not on the PHEV as I learnt to my cost the other day!)
heated seat buttons in a similar position but with nothing obscuring them as in PHEV where, as you say, you have to grope around for them.
You can add my name to your letter! I think Mitsu have spoilt a jolly good car due to concentrating on all the electronic gizmos and leaving out things that would improve it . The SatNav for example is a TOTAL JOKE! the handbook is almost as thick as the one for the whole car. I can't remember the last time I needed a satnav and this bl@@dy thing is there all the time want it or not and is simply FAR TOO COMPLICATED and last decade tech to be bothered to use.
I carry a Garmin in the glove box and IF I ever need to find my way I shall use that! I would actually PAY to have the in car system ripped out it gets RIGHT UP MY NOSE!
Don't understand your key fob, Perhaps that, again, is a 16 model thing. All mine has is lock/unlock doors and open/close bootlid??
I totally agree with your last line. HERE HERE!!

I'm getting my new Gx4h on Monday, and to be honest if the only complaint I have is that the buttons for the windows don't light up then I'll be pretty pleased !! :D

I think I've read before that this is a Japanses thing - I currently have a top of the range Nissan Qashqai Tekna, and the buttons in that don't light up in the door. Hardly a big deal though, even if they were lit up I don't think I'd need to be taking my eyes off the road to look down and see where the switch is, its not difficult to put your hand onto the arm rest and find the switch !

Oh, and BIK = Benefit in Kind, so essentially someone getting the car on a company car scheme but having to pay additional tax as its seen as a benefit provided by your employer. The tax level is based on Co2 emmissions, and the Outlander currently qualifies for a 5% tax on the value of the car (7% from April) whereas my diesel Qashqai is around 21%. Makes it a very attractive purchase for someone getting the car on a company car scheme. The total net cost to me (including the tax) is about £100 per month cheaper than taking another Qashqai, and thats without factoring in any additonal savings from lower running costs.

geoffshep69 said:
I'm getting my new Gx4h on Monday, and to be honest if the only complaint I have is that the buttons for the windows don't light up then I'll be pretty pleased !! :D

I think I've read before that this is a Japanses thing - I currently have a top of the range Nissan Qashqai Tekna, and the buttons in that don't light up in the door. Hardly a big deal though, even if they were lit up I don't think I'd need to be taking my eyes off the road to look down and see where the switch is, its not difficult to put your hand onto the arm rest and find the switch !

Ok this lack of light is not a big deal, but it's a lack anyway ;)
My previous Japanese car (Auris) had these lights, as did all my recent (and not luxurious) cars...

And when you are stopped at a motorway toll or at park entrance, you are authorized to take your eyes off the road to see where is your windows switch (and not the rear windows one :D )
In the dark I open the rear window almost in half the cases !

Grigou said:

And when you are stopped at a motorway toll or at park entrance, you are authorized to take your eyes off the road to see where is your windows switch (and not the rear windows one :D )
In the dark I open the rear window almost in half the cases !

which is strange really since the switch for the driver's door window is illuminated in the PHEV!

Thanks all for the comments.

Carnut
Although I'm 6'2", according to the man who fitted me for my bicycle, I have the leg length of someone who is 6'5", and no, my 3 only has manual seats. Also, it's a lease car, my local dealer isn't interested in teaching me anything.

Grigou
Exactly right, the light in the drivers window switch is so dim, it may as well not be there.

Some have suggested feeling in the dark rather than looking for the various switches on the door, there are 9, so having them lit helps you to sense where they are because you pick them up I your periffary vision.

Talking about the heated seat switches, looking at the dash today, the Eco button and others in that row are so big, they could easily be moved up there.

I don't care if it's a Japenese thing, it's unacceptable.

Carnut said:
Don't know if I am extra dim this morning. What is a BlK driver??
You have obviously bought a new one as the headlights (high beam only) on my 15 reg are absolute cr@p. As I have said elsewhere why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar*. HID low beams & tungsten high beams. What moron dreamt that up?
I don't understand your difficulty with your seating comfort.
I am 6'2" WITH a sun roof. (not me, the car :lol: ) My seat is RIGHT UP as high as it will go and I am sitting perfectly (as far as I am concerned) Do you have an electric driver's seat? Perhaps that is the difference?
Fuel economy. I am mainly on EV but when I do an 80 mile round trip with no charging facilities at the turnround point I come home on hybrid (cross country A road and a bit of A35 dual carriageway) and return 40.1mpg. My overall mpg mainly on leccy is showing 75.1 at the moment.
If you have not been taught how to use the paddles properly, I suggest you go back to the dealer and tell him you wand a demo drive with him showing you how they should be used. By so doing I actually managed an electric mile equal to a real mile, which is quite an achievement I find!!
* I could not agree with you more! As I have bored others previously. I came from owning 2 Yeti's (one after the other) . 4 one touch windows with illuminated buttons. Sun roof close-able from the key fob (not on the PHEV as I learnt to my cost the other day!)
heated seat buttons in a similar position but with nothing obscuring them as in PHEV where, as you say, you have to grope around for them.
You can add my name to your letter! I think Mitsu have spoilt a jolly good car due to concentrating on all the electronic gizmos and leaving out things that would improve it . The SatNav for example is a TOTAL JOKE! the handbook is almost as thick as the one for the whole car. I can't remember the last time I needed a satnav and this bl@@dy thing is there all the time want it or not and is simply FAR TOO COMPLICATED and last decade tech to be bothered to use.
I carry a Garmin in the glove box and IF I ever need to find my way I shall use that! I would actually PAY to have the in car system ripped out it gets RIGHT UP MY NOSE!
Don't understand your key fob, Perhaps that, again, is a 16 model thing. All mine has is lock/unlock doors and open/close bootlid??
I totally agree with your last line. HERE HERE!!
The MMCS can be replaced by a Pioneer system if so desired.
Anyway, once one gets used to the interface, the Satnav it pretty good, a lot better than the one in my Jaguar before. The traffic jam warning is very reliable, it does not send me in concentric circles, and it does not have the idiosyncrasy of systematically losing its way in he UK.

Jaapv

As it's a Company Car acquired on lease, my local dealer granted me a 10 minute test drive as part of an allocated 30 minute business user slot, as he knew his garage would not be supplying the car. Therefore, driving in the dark and spotting the lack of switch illumination wasn't an option. Even if I had, there is nothing else within my company's budget that meets the needs my job imposes on a car. My MD has a BMW X5 phev.

My comment about this being unacceptable are aimed more at the Mitsubishi Product Planners as it is a fabulous car spoiled by things that, with a little forethought, couldn't happen.

Jaapv's right - "unacceptable" is rather OTT, disappointed, inconvenient perhaps, seem more appropriate for a feature that is used infrequently and only at night (or underground). Unless you have an only nocturnal usage lighting the switches is of no benefit in daylight.

greendwarf said:
Jaapv's right - "unacceptable" is rather OTT, disappointed, inconvenient perhaps, seem more appropriate for a feature that is used infrequently and only at night (or underground). Unless you have an only nocturnal usage lighting the switches is of no benefit in daylight.

Definitely a "first world" issue.... Gee, what have we come to, dudes complaints about backlighting on Windows buttons... Get real!

Steel188 said:
Jaapv

As it's a Company Car acquired on lease, my local dealer granted me a 10 minute test drive as part of an allocated 30 minute business user slot, as he knew his garage would not be supplying the car. Therefore, driving in the dark and spotting the lack of switch illumination wasn't an option. Even if I had, there is nothing else within my company's budget that meets the needs my job imposes on a car. My MD has a BMW X5 phev.

My comment about this being unacceptable are aimed more at the Mitsubishi Product Planners as it is a fabulous car spoiled by things that, with a little forethought, couldn't happen.
Yes, that happened to a friend of mine. He walked out and into a dealership that did not have this box-pushing mentality and got a proper customer treatment. His complaint to the lease company prompted them to switch suppliers.

Not all dealers act in that way though.

I have always found Lexus great when it comes to service and customer care.

I get my PHEV on Monday, and the dealer delivering it has texted me to say they will stay with me as long as I need to really understand the car

Barnfather said:
I get my PHEV on Monday, and the dealer delivering it has texted me to say they will stay with me as long as I need to really understand the car

I hope the dealer is patient. I've had mine 18 months now - I'm not sure I really understand the car yet.... :shock:

jdsx said:
Barnfather said:

I hope the dealer is patient. I've had mine 18 months now - I'm not sure I really understand the car yet.... :shock:
As did Poole Mitsubishi with mine. Very helpful.

Back