Opportunistic Charging in Parallel Mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tipper said:
Kim said:
gwatpe said:
Those times in EV mode, when you accelerate just a tad fast and the ICE starts and then stops a short time later = at least 50ml with possibly no work done at all.
Gahww, yea, to my feeling that always stings like a bee. :)
It accidently happens about two times per month..

And when it does I think ouch!...a stone cold engine start/stop...not good for the moving parts at all!
(I wonder if that's why the oil in my PHEV with only 8k miles on the clock is so grubby compared to that in my old MG with many more miles driven. I'm seriously considering an interim oil/filter change before the next service just to clean it up a bit.)

Mitsubishi must have factored in the fact that the engine will not be in constant use and used the appropriate lubricant. It will be interesting to see if there are any problems come the 3 - 4 year point. :)

Mitsubishi must have factored in the fact that the engine will not be in constant use and used the appropriate lubricant. It will be interesting to see if there are any problems come the 3 - 4 year point. :)

The oil recommendation is nothing special, just ordinary mineral stuff, minimum SG rating.
I did notice in the technical description where it compares the 4B11 engine with the one used in standard cars.
The bearings in the PHEV have a resin coating, which may assist in greater durability with many stop-starts.
It also has asymmetric piston skirts to minimize friction.

HHL said:

The oil recommendation is nothing special, just ordinary mineral stuff, minimum SG rating.
I did notice in the technical description where it compares the 4B11 engine with the one used in standard cars.
The bearings in the PHEV have a resin coating, which may assist in greater durability with many stop-starts.
It also has asymmetric piston skirts to minimize friction.

You have to think that the lead time on your model and the existing technology on our model are pretty close. There will be some overlap as Mitsubishi use up old parts from the previous models - I am interested to see the differences properly shown between the different model years.

Back