OSRAM LED DRL

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tun

To all experts out there, is this something that we can and replace it as if as those supplied by the original parts from Mitsubishi?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newest-9W-Round-Osram-Offroad-LED-Fog-Light-12V-24V-DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-/251786521795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9fa56cc3

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell, it is only a single light source, whereas our Phev's have two - one fog lamp and one DRL.
The wiring connectors are certainly different as well.

Even if the mounting centres are the same and you joined the wires somehow, you would have to lose the use of the fog lamps, which turn off power to the DRL bulb when turned on.

Stvtech said:
I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell, it is only a single light source, whereas our Phev's have two - one fog lamp and one DRL.

Even if the mounting centres are the same and you joined the wires somehow, you would have to lose the use of the fog lamps, which turn off power to the DRL bulb when turned on.

See.. this is why I posted it here before I do any purchase ;)

Thanks! Does that means that if I wired it to the fog lamp I can technically use this as a fog lamp and leave it on all the time?

tun said:
Does that means that if I wired it to the fog lamp I can technically use this as a fog lamp and leave it on all the time?
I'm afraid not, because the fog lamps will only work when the dipped beam is turned on, so unless you want to drive everywhere with headlamps on, that will not be an option.

You could wire it to the DRL connector, and not ever use the fog light switch. What I do not know, is if the Canbus will detect that there is no bulb in the foglamp circuit and start moaning at you!

But all that is moot if the mounts are the wrong distances. I am more than happy to check that against my original lamp units later this evening.

Stvtech said:
tun said:
Does that means that if I wired it to the fog lamp I can technically use this as a fog lamp and leave it on all the time?
I'm afraid not, because the fog lamps will only work when the dipped beam is turned on, so unless you want to drive everywhere with headlamps on, that will not be an option.

You could wire it to the DRL connector, and not ever use the fog light switch. What I do not know, is if the Canbus will detect that there is no bulb in the foglamp circuit and start moaning at you!

But all that is moot if the mounts are the wrong distances. I am more than happy to check that against my original lamp units later this evening.

Wow.. you sounds very knowledgeable :)

Thanks a lot!

tun said:
Stvtech said:

See.. this is why I posted it here before I do any purchase ;)

Thanks! Does that means that if I wired it to the fog lamp I can technically use this as a fog lamp and leave it on all the time?
Fog lights may,by law, only be used in combination with other lights and during errrmmm...fog in most countries.

Stvtech said:
tun said:

Stvtech... IF... I use a wire splitter to split the wires from this fog light to both the fog light and the DRL on the PHEV, do you reckon it will work? Which means (if it connects correctly) whichever light we turns on, it will light up as well :)

Just thinking out of the box and you can clearly see that I am a noob...

But daylight lights don't count, as they do not activate the rear lights, and cannot be used in combination with fog lights. (And must be switchable)
Not my idea, but most autorities are pretty anal about things like this.

The GX5H comes with LED DRL's why not switch with that part? Does anybody know the Mitsubishi part number?

tun said:
Stvtech said:
Stvtech... IF... I use a wire splitter to split the wires from this fog light to both the fog light and the DRL on the PHEV, do you reckon it will work? Which means (if it connects correctly) whichever light we turns on, it will light up as well :)

Wouldn't recommend that at all. You will essentially be feeding voltage in to an electronically controlled voltage output. The word "poof!" comes to mind ;)

mcelvis said:
The GX5H comes with LED DRL's why not switch with that part? Does anybody know the Mitsubishi part number?

Might have something to do with the near £300 price tag for a pair of genuine Mitsubishi units. :eek:

Mitsubishi part number SP290638, but take a squizz on fleabay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mitsubishi-Outlander-LED-Foglamp-Daytime-Running-Light-Kit-SP290638-/161161488221

Back