Outlander PHEV drive review

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyboy

Here is a indepth drive review from autoweek that everybody who is interested in the Mitsubishi Outlander should read:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130318/CARREVIEWS/130319820

the part I find the most interesting is the driving/steering part of the article that sheds a new light on the capabilities of the Outlander

Much of the 2014 Outlander's solid driving dynamics can be traced to a high-tensile steel diet, resulting in 220 lbs shed from last year's model, and a three-row crossover that weighs less than competitive two-row models like the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. From behind the wheel, improved chassis stiffness and a decent electric power steering system actually make the weight loss feel even more pronounced.

Lightness is crucial, though, considering the base 2014 Outlander powertrain is a 2.4-liter I-4 engine coupled to a CVT transmission. It's the same configuration found in the 2013 model, but valvetrain machinations squeeze more fuel economy from the design, and the CVT has been re-engineered to be less offensive. While the economy improvements are unmistakable, expected to be on the order of 2 mpg each city and highway, a hard stab at the throttle still results in unimpressive acceleration and loads of droning engine noise.

That said, it's not out of line with the experience found on many I-4 CVT vehicles these days from competitors such as Subaru and Nissan, so we suspect our objections aren't noticed by most of the crossover-buying public; in fact, during the kind of driving the average commuter experiences, the four-cylinder Outlander was perfectly adequate.

max said:
I like the features of Outlander PEHV. Besides it is quite cheap.

For an SUV the Outlander is incredibly cheap in my opinion, plus you can save a ton of doe on oil and a ton of time on gas stations.

Dannyboy said:
Here is a indepth drive review from autoweek that everybody who is interested in the Mitsubishi Outlander should read:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130318/CARREVIEWS/130319820

the part I find the most interesting is the driving/steering part of the article that sheds a new light on the capabilities of the Outlander

Much of the 2014 Outlander's solid driving dynamics can be traced to a high-tensile steel diet, resulting in 220 lbs shed from last year's model, and a three-row crossover that weighs less than competitive two-row models like the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. From behind the wheel, improved chassis stiffness and a decent electric power steering system actually make the weight loss feel even more pronounced.

Lightness is crucial, though, considering the base 2014 Outlander powertrain is a 2.4-liter I-4 engine coupled to a CVT transmission. It's the same configuration found in the 2013 model, but valvetrain machinations squeeze more fuel economy from the design, and the CVT has been re-engineered to be less offensive. While the economy improvements are unmistakable, expected to be on the order of 2 mpg each city and highway, a hard stab at the throttle still results in unimpressive acceleration and loads of droning engine noise.

That said, it's not out of line with the experience found on many I-4 CVT vehicles these days from competitors such as Subaru and Nissan, so we suspect our objections aren't noticed by most of the crossover-buying public; in fact, during the kind of driving the average commuter experiences, the four-cylinder Outlander was perfectly adequate.

I'm really pleased to see these stellar reports on the performances and characteristics of the Mitsubishi Outlander, it means a lot to have a good representation in the media, especially the internet.

They didn't test the PHEV; they tested the regular Outlander. What's interesting here is that they contradict what Consumer Reports said, which was that the new Outlander does not handle very well. Autoweek says that it's as fun to drive as the new Mazda CX-5. I'll reserve judgment until I can obtain the skid pad score.

Dannyboy said:
max said:
I like the features of Outlander PEHV. Besides it is quite cheap.

For an SUV the Outlander is incredibly cheap in my opinion, plus you can save a ton of doe on oil and a ton of time on gas stations.

I agree with you guys. Practically Outlander PEHV is perfect.

Back