Phantom Unlocking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulu67MP

Hi All, Have had my first PHEV (67 5hs) a month now and wondering when the head-scratching’s gonna stop! So much to learn about and old habits to overcome! Then there’s this puzzling problem that has me stumped, so any advice gratefully received… the alarm’s gone off three times this week and the car’s unlocked itself (quiet location, no wind, no cats spotted, nothing inside that could move on its own, charger not connected). Is there a known system issue or other likely reason for this happening, please?

Hiya.

You may have more than one issue.

The alarm can be triggered by any air movement inside the car, so ventilation could be an issue, i.e. don't park it with anything left open.
(Or if you do, use the button inside to put that alarm into 'pet mode' to stop monitoring internal air movement.)

Small animals could also trigger it, so probably worth searching the car carefully for any sign of an uninvited guest.

Phantom unlocking is a different kettle of fish.

My first thought is to check where and how you're storing the key fob.

If it is just staying in your pocket, there's a chance that it is 'pocket dialing' i.e. the buttons being pushed by folds in the fabric of your clothes etc.

If you share your home, or have regular visitors, I'd be careful of them having access to your key fobs. The internet is full of 'friends' playing tricks on people.

In my case, I was sure that my car was unlocking by itself, but when I decided to make a routine of checking the car before I left it, by lifting the door handle and then manually folding the driver's side mirror to show that I'd checked the lock, the mysterious 'unlocking' stopped.

So in my case, I'm pretty sure it was me, not locking the car or worse, locking it, then unlocking it again by using the tailgate.

Thanks Andy for taking the time for such a comprehensive reply. I've now read the Manual section on security too (head still spinning!), which you've so succinctly summarised and added to. Who'd have thought they'd use the wiper switch etc, to cancel security functions?!

I've no concerns over draughts, pests or other incidental causes as far as I can see, so am content to wait till the next time the alarm goes off, when I'll investigate more closely.

The unlocking is indeed more worrying. The last time it happened (yesterday) my wife watched from inside the house as the alarm sounded and the mirrors unfolded - nothing else moving and no-one in sight. I guess it may be possible that someone else's key fob could be unlocking our car, though there are no other Mitsubishi's locally, the nearest neighbours having MG's - but then that wouldn't explain the alarm. As for the keys/fobs, we keep them both in a metal box (bread-maker) at the rear of the house, so at least 10 meters from the car.

If I glean more, I'll post it.

If all else fails, I'll seek a dealer who can check out the system.

If you also happen to be Andy the YouTube Guru, grateful thanks for such a brilliant resource ... and if you're not, many thanks to him anyway :D .

Back