Power Consumption on Preheating

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffshep69

Just doing some calculations to work out my combined mpg when factoring in electricity costs, and I was wondering what it costs me for 10 minutes of pre-heating each morning ? Can anyone tell me what power the system draws to run the electric heater in the car ? I have a vague recollection that it is in the range of 3-4 KW, but can anyone confirm ?

The maximum power drain of the heater is about 4kW. It will reduce as the temperature in the vehicle increases, but I guess that on a cold morning it would be running close to full power for the full 10 minutes of pre-heat

Thanks all, thats pretty much in line with what I thought, had estimated it to be about 6p for 10 mins. By running the preheating I can pretty much do my 26 mile commute (13 miles each way) on full EV, but if I don't preheat then I struggle to get more than 20 miles at the moment.

Pre-heating is very good - at least if you have a dedicated 16A fast charger at home because that can (almost) keep up with the power demands of the pre-heater. It's a bit less clear if you are using the slower charging box that plugs into a 13A socket - that cannot meet the demand of the heater by a moderate margin and you will get in the car to find that your battery has lost a noticeable amount of charge - which could translate to lost EV range.

maby said:
It will reduce as the temperature in the vehicle increases, ...
Will it indeed? Never noticed this. And if you pre-heat for 30 minutes at moderate temperatures,, the car will turn into an oven. No signs of taking it a step down ....

anko said:
maby said:
It will reduce as the temperature in the vehicle increases, ...
Will it indeed? Never noticed this. And if you pre-heat for 30 minutes at moderate temperatures,, the car will turn into an oven. No signs of taking it a step down ....

You are probably correct where pre-heating is concerned - mine still runs for a maximum of 10 minutes, so I cannot test, but it does seem that pre-heating ignores the thermostat setting. I was thinking more in terms of the behaviour of the electrical heater in general terms - that is controlled by the thermostat and will turn itself down once the cabin comes up to temperature.

maby said:
The maximum power drain of the heater is about 4kW. It will reduce as the temperature in the vehicle increases, but I guess that on a cold morning it would be running close to full power for the full 10 minutes of pre-heat

It doesn't. The heater runs on full power for the period selected.

JimB

Initially it draws 4.5 kW
but when the heating elements are hot, it "drops" down to 3.8 kW for the rest of the heating periode.
The charger can compensate a max. of 3.3 kW

en31n0nfaq8j_t.jpg

Back