Random high charge readings

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazMan

I connect my car to my Polar charger every night, normally with a flat battery as I commute about 20 miles each way and don't have a charging point at work (yet ;) )
My charging is set to kick in at 02:00 - 07:00 on the timer app. I logged into chargevision3.com and noticed a couple of strange things ...

1. The charge times & duration bear no relevance to when I actually connect the car - apparently I can be connected for as much as 27 hours overnight!!
2. Although I usually show between 10 - 12 kWh (as you would expect for a full charge) I am also getting a few randomly high readings of over 50kWh :shock:

Any ideas guys? Should I accuse my neighbor of building a Hadron Collider in his shed??

RazMan said:
I connect my car to my Polar charger every night, normally with a flat battery as I commute about 20 miles each way and don't have a charging point at work (yet ;) )
My charging is set to kick in at 02:00 - 07:00 on the timer app. I logged into chargevision3.com and noticed a couple of strange things ...

1. The charge times & duration bear no relevance to when I actually connect the car - apparently I can be connected for as much as 27 hours overnight!!
2. Although I usually show between 10 - 12 kWh (as you would expect for a full charge) I am also getting a few randomly high readings of over 50kWh :shock:

Any ideas guys? Should I accuse my neighbor of building a Hadron Collider in his shed??

Pretty sure you reported this only a week or so ago, I remember the name! And I commented then that in my experience the timing duration record is absolute garbage, despite some saying it's a function of connecting and disconnecting in the right sequence. But so far the energy use per charge has been consistent and hopefully reliable for me, around 11-12 kWh per charge.

DrSlackBladder said:
Pretty sure you reported this only a week or so ago, I remember the name! And I commented then that in my experience the timing duration record is absolute garbage, despite some saying it's a function of connecting and disconnecting in the right sequence. But so far the energy use per charge has been consistent and hopefully reliable for me, around 11-12 kWh per charge.

I did indeed Doctor - I just thought I would see if anyone had any fixes (software updates etc) as I am not getting much support from Chargemaster

As for the 'right sequence' I am not sure how I can get it wrong really as there is no manual switching involved. I drive up, connect the car and leave overnight to charge. In the morning I disconnect and then go to work. Rinse and repeat :lol:

I spoke to ChargeMaster about not getting any results and they stated the correct order is:

Switch charge unit on
Plug in car
Disconnect car
Switch charge unit off

The times I get are extremely random but the charged units seems to be reasonably accurate.

I think the random times are specifically related to the time I plug in and disconnect, if on the same day times seem reasonably accurate however if I connect and disconnect on different days get stupid times like 34 hours etc.

Ozukus said:
I spoke to ChargeMaster about not getting any results and they stated the correct order is:

Switch charge unit on
Plug in car
Disconnect car
Switch charge unit off

So have you got a separate power switch fitted to physically turn the unit off?

*edit* Ahhh you mean the key switch - I am such a plonker :oops:

Any fix will have to come from Chargemaster - the software in the car is not involved in these calculations. You look at the charge costs displayed on the MMCS - they are pretty consistent.

Ozukus said:

Switch charge unit on
Plug in car
Disconnect car
Switch charge unit off

Hmmm, that sequence is certainly not what the Chargemaster engineer who installed it told me to do and I'm pretty sure that it is not what the instruction book says either!

Back