Range indicator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkShelley

Why does the range indicator tick down gradually until it gets to about 30 miles then suddenly just displays a load of dashes?
Basically, the time when you most need to know the situation, you can`t see it.
Really annoying.

Yes it is.
But every single one of the cars I owned that had a trip computer did exactly the same thing.
So the shame isn't on Mitsubishi..... That's how bord computers work in (suppose) all cars....?!

MarkShelley said:
Why does the range indicator tick down gradually until it gets to about 30 miles then suddenly just displays a load of dashes?
Really annoying.

And you have substantially more than 30 miles left as well..... I havent been brave enough to run it empty yet.

MarkShelley said:
Really annoying.
It's basically so that you can't blame (sue?) Mitsubishi for running out of fuel when the indicator still says you have '3 miles range' left....

Because it will run the battery down to "zero" AKA 23% before starting on the rest of the fuel (approx 5 liters), meaning there is no real combined range. When that is finished it will run the battery down to 13% in Turtle mode. Then you will coast to a halt.When the dashes appear you will have between an estimated 75 to 100 Km left, depending on battery level and driving style/conditions.

Kim said:
Yes it is.
But every single one of the cars I owned that had a trip computer did exactly the same thing.
So the shame isn't on Mitsubishi..... That's how bord computers work in (suppose) all cars....?!

Not at all : it is my first car to do that ... (I've had Toyota, Honda, VW, Citroën, Opel/Vauxhall etc ...).

Hey, as my previous car only had a (very temperamental) fuel gauge, that seemed to stick fastidiously at 'full' before plummeting to 'empty', I'm grateful for small mercies. ;)

jaapv said:
Because it will run the battery down to "zero" AKA 23% before starting on the rest of the fuel (approx 5 liters), meaning there is no real combined range. When that is finished it will run the battery down to 13% in Turtle mode. Then you will coast to a halt.When the dashes appear you will have between an estimated 75 to 100 Km left, depending on battery level and driving style/conditions.

As I have stated elsewhere on the forum, my AUS shipped PHEV stopped driving in save mode when the petrol indicated "--" for total range and had no blue in the petrol gauge, and continued on the battery until it was completely down to the last bar. The car then ran in series hybrid mode only for over 100km until the petrol ran out and ICE stopped. Could have still driven on the battery for a bit, but chose to just put some petrol back in the tank from a "Jerry Can" and find a refuel station. Did put 45L in total back in the tank so confirmed its capacity. Really conservative, so on an outback trip, will carry spare fuel and refuel from that if the car runs out a bit before the destination, but a least try and get there on the fuel in the tank.

I must say that the car did not stop at any time until I chose to put the "JerryCan" of fuel in. I left the ignition ON and the ICE came to life in "CHARGE mode" when about 9L of the total 10L was put in the tank.

Back