Reclaiming tax on the electricity to charge the PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvaghela

Hi
Apologies if this has been asked somewhere on the forum - but a search hasn't brought up an answer.
In brief - I am self employed and using the pHEV for business use as well as personal. I complete a personal expenses and mileage form that I give to my accountant to claim the business portion of the tax back. I've asked a question to my accountant who doesn't know the answer and wonders if anyone on the forum can help.
Essentially - on AVERAGE what is the cost per mile of electricity on the battery only? - only looking at a ballpark figure here - is it 5p per mile or 10p or 20p.

Thanks

I'm paying approx 10p/kwh and getting approx 3 miles/kwh according to mmcs so approx 3p/mile electric cost in my case

My petrol cost is approx 5p/mile according to fuelly

This gives me a total of 8p/mile combining both

Using this my equivelant mpg is approximately 65 mpg based on cost of petrol

3 miles per kWh translates to about 30 miles per charge which is very optimistic in the winter. There is a tendency amongst owners to exaggerate the economy of the PHEV but, in this case, you want to be pessimistic - in order to get the maximum tax refund! Don't assume better than 20 miles from a charge in the winter, at least - 5 pence per mile if you can get your electricity at 10p per kWh.

I've been accused of exaggerating about the phev on LR forums after posting my findings but this is my experience -

The approx 3p/kwh I gave was the figure displayed in my mmcs computer over 1900 miles since purchased in September - I spent approx £45 on electric according to mmcs over 1600 miles which gives 2.8p a mile

If you programme your kwh cost in your mmcs you can monitor cost per mile to get a more accurate figure for you - I can get under 2 miles/kwh or over 3 daily depending on temp etc but used the average above

It has dropped with the cold weather now I'm preheating, using heated seats/steering wheel cold mornings - some days I get 20 miles - Tuesday I did 28 miles as EV - this isn't even the whole picture though as on longer journeys with regeneration and recharging while driving the EV range increases as it switches between petrol and electric at junctions etc so you can exceed the claimed 32 miles as EV

I appreciate the phev being dual fuel will give vastly different figures depending on owners driving style and journey profile - if you never did over say 20 miles you could potentially see infinite mpg and if you used free charge points pay nothing per mile - if you did 100s of miles regularly you will be using loads of petrol and using very little electric - there is no exact answer so all you can do is use your mmcs figures and look at others with similar journey profile

This is my first winter with phev and mpg used to drop on all my previous fuel guzzlers so expected this on phev - 5p a mile in colder months will probably be right and as I've seen 3p in warmer months :cool:

I work for my own company. I asked my accountant what to do regarding the electricity to charge. He told me to claim for what it costs me. I simply put the rate of 14p/kw (as per my electricity company charge) into the PHEV computer and it tells me on a daily/monthly basis the cost.

My average is £30 a month in electricity.

Back