Replacement/Upgraded Batteries BMW

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian4x4

It seems that BMW are forward planning by setting a common battery cell size. This sort of rationalization / standardization is needed along with standardized interfaces for connections if EV/PHEV cars are to have a an economical long life.
Also it will allow retrofitting of more modern higher density batteries which will increase the use and value of older cars.

Klaus Fröhlich, head of development at BMW, was interviewed by Engineering News. This statement, made by Fröhlich, caught our attention:

“We have defined a certain cell standard millimetre height so that we can build new batteries in 50 years that have the same cell standard, even if the chemistry and energy density will be very different. This means that, when your car fails after 15 years and you go to a BMW shop to have a new battery fitted, you can do so.”

Future proofing today’s electric cars!

That newly fitted battery would certainly be more energy dense, which should provide more electric range. This upgrade path has not been formally announced by BMW, but it seems the plan is in place to do so.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-head-development/

Note the advert for a replacement battery.

Autocar reported today that not only is the BMW i3 battery range being increased, but more importantly, existing owners will be able to retro fit (for a price) this upgraded battery to their own cars.

This follows earlier speculation following this announcement by BMW.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/10/bmw-uk-adds-a-sport-package-for-the-i3-electric-car/

Hopefully this type of upgrade/replacement will become the model for all EV/PHEV batteries, thus future proofing the cars and holding long term values.

Whereas I personally welcome this, it's a complete red herring regarding preserving future value. Just as today almost nobody will run to the expense of fitting a new engine to a 15 year old car (worth £1500 tops?) that might otherwise be in perfect condition, this will be the future case with battery replacement/upgrade on EV's in the vast majority of cases.

Although, regarding the way the I3 in particular is built, it can never suffer corrosion, ever! It's also almost completely dent proof against all those annoying small dents steel bodied cars get in car parks all the time. So with an occasional polish and new batteries and a drive-train with almost no parts to wear out, it really will have the ability to last almost forever...

Well, isn't that the whole point? Increasing the sustainability of cars by increasing the future value. If a car is otherwise "as new" it will be rational to give it a longer technical life by ensuring the battery change is cheaper than its value.
We already started on that road by making a car come to the end of its life by technical wear instead of by rusting to pieces. Reducing technical wear is the next step to longevity.

Some further information from BMW CEO

http://bmwi3.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/krueger-bmw-i3-to-get-battery-facelift.html

It looks from this that upgrading of existing batteries are not part of the plan, although yet another updated battery pack (with twice the range) is, by about 2020.

Favguy said:
Whereas I personally welcome this, it's a complete red herring regarding preserving future value. Just as today almost nobody will run to the expense of fitting a new engine to a 15 year old car (worth £1500 tops?) that might otherwise be in perfect condition, this will be the future case with battery replacement/upgrade on EV's in the vast majority of cases.

Isn't this a poor example (or red herring :lol: ) - in my 16 year old Avensis the one thing that DIDN'T need replacing was the engine, it was the constant wearing out of everything else (inc. dents :lol: ) I doubt that BMW are worse than Toyota.

one of the things that non EV drivers say is "what about when the batteries need replacing?"

my company is making the payments to purchase the GX4 which I currently have as a company car,
one day, once the finance is paid off, I'm planning on buying the car from the company, and running it personally for quite a few years.

if the cars that I could choose between had an option of "future proof" or "easy upgrade" or "easy replacement" of batteries, I would probably be more inclined to go that way.
if there is an option to part-ex the battery for a double capacity one in 3 or 4 years, for £2,000 to £3,000, then I would probably get the company to buy it for me!

I have an original Apple iPad, but I don't have any apple products, in part, because I don't like the idea of spending so much money for something that is "disposable"

most company car drivers can "give it back" after 2 or 3 years,
but for people that pay their own money, when it comes to "new technology", I think people would prefer to go for something that has future options which are more than "throw it away and buy the next model", even though that is probably what they will do

Back