Rust

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Hi
Am I the only one with an phev 2014 that Rust alot...

I didnt think a new car would rust in 2 years. It's not only where there has been damage done from smal Stones and likewise, it's from the inside as well. Under the Doors and on the Hatch.

Do you guys know if this is something that should be coverd by the dealer or mitsubishi or if Im on my own...

I just have my cell at the moment but i will try to post Pictures.

The cars is sold and driven in Sweden.

/Joel

Not a problem here - late 2014 Titanium Grey one, but it seems that white ones have considerably more paint and rust problems. What colour is yours?

jaapv said:
Not a problem here - late 2014 Titanium Grey one, but it seems that white ones have considerably more paint and rust problems. What colour is yours?

White...

IMG_20160803_130551.jpg

IMG_20160803_130640.jpg

IMG_20160803_130605.jpg

IMG_20160803_130652.jpg

IMG_20160803_130652.jpg

Joel said:
Hi
Am I the only one with an phev 2014 that Rust alot...

I didnt think a new car would rust in 2 years. It's not only where there has been damage done from smal Stones and likewise, it's from the inside as well. Under the Doors and on the Hatch.

Do you guys know if this is something that should be coverd by the dealer or mitsubishi or if Im on my own...

I just have my cell at the moment but i will try to post Pictures.

The cars is sold and driven in Sweden.

/Joel

Do you drive anywhere that is near salt water or areas that may have roads that are salted in the Winter time?

Shouldn't make a difference, I live 1 km from the sea and our roads are salted in winter. Still no rust...

I don't think you should be worried. Most likely it is "flygrost" (Swedish), flying rust, which are metal particles from the studs in our winter tires. These stick to the lacquer surface and start to rust. Remove it with clay. Google "flygrost" and you will find an Audi owner with rust on a 3 months old car. Also you will find ways to get rid of it. Hope this helps.

I'll have to agree with ClasseClas. From the images it seems your car is in desperate need of a proper cleaning. "flygrost" appears on most cars if you don't wash them regularly and will disappear with a good clean, I use Turtle Super Wash and a microfiber sponge to remove tar spots and "flygrost".

Fragge said:
I'll have to agree with ClasseClas. From the images it seems your car is in desperate need of a proper cleaning. "flygrost" appears on most cars if you don't wash them regularly and will disappear with a good clean, I use Turtle Super Wash and a microfiber sponge to remove tar spots and "flygrost".

Agree - a clean will remove this I am sure. it looks like some metal fall out stuck to the paintwork and not the car itself thats gone rusty. I have seen this before particularly on L200 where options have been fitted, drilled swarf not cleaned off can cause this.

Hi all,

Interesting topic rust.
Sorry to go off a bit, but I’m originally from Durban – South Africa. I lived 2km from the beach and had high humidity which they say added to the factor of rust. So you can imagine allot of the cars get rust, one of mine did but it was at least 5 – 10 years old. It was only to the exterior of the car and not the interior.

I own a MY2015 GX4h and I have found rust on the locking loop which the boot lock clips on when locking. I have also found rust on the metal part of the rear seat which allows the seat to fold down/up. I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

Is any of this covered by warranty? Any ideas on the best way to get rid of the rust? I have smeared some grease on it for now which I use on my motorbike parts during the winter.

I did read on the 'Thin paint' post about adding some rust-eater on the areas. But not sure if this is really the only option and how nice it would actually look.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

jdearauj said:
Hi all,

Interesting topic rust.
Sorry to go off a bit, but I’m originally from Durban – South Africa. I lived 2km from the beach and had high humidity which they say added to the factor of rust. So you can imagine allot of the cars get rust, one of mine did but it was at least 5 – 10 years old. It was only to the exterior of the car and not the interior.

I own a MY2015 GX4h and I have found rust on the locking loop which the boot lock clips on when locking. I have also found rust on the metal part of the rear seat which allows the seat to fold down/up. I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

Is any of this covered by warranty? Any ideas on the best way to get rid of the rust? I have smeared some grease on it for now which I use on my motorbike parts during the winter.

I did read on the 'Thin paint' post about adding some rust-eater on the areas. But not sure if this is really the only option and how nice it would actually look.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
The rust warranty on any car is constructed in a way that it's pretty much impossible to claim it. Valid only on frame parts that have been rusted through. Doors, bonnet, trunk lid, etc. is not considered frame parts(since they are not part of the frame). Surface rust isn't covered.

Had a Passat with a trunk lid that had pretty severe rust around the window, it was 7 years old (10 year rust warranty). No go on the warranty, the lid could have rusted to the point that it disappeared and it still wouldn't be covered.

Fragge said:
The rust warranty on any car is constructed in a way that it's pretty much impossible to claim it. Valid only on frame parts that have been rusted through. Doors, bonnet, trunk lid, etc. is not considered frame parts(since they are not part of the frame). Surface rust isn't covered.

Had a Passat with a trunk lid that had pretty severe rust around the window, it was 7 years old (10 year rust warranty). No go on the warranty, the lid could have rusted to the point that it disappeared and it still wouldn't be covered.

Thanks very much for the prompt response. Not great news for me.

Back