Securing your charging cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran

Hi, Just got a G3XH and I'm concerned out my charging cable being stolen whilst charging at public charging points. I've read that the cable is locked into the charging point and can't be removed until you swipe your card to release it, is this correct?

I've also heard of people securing their cable to their car with a bike cable and padlocks, securing the charging cable to their wheel, any thoughts?

Yes, all the public charge points I have used lock the cable into the outlet.

And yes, you can lock the other end (hole for padlock on handle) and nervous types add additional devices.

However, AFAIK there have been no reported cable thefts or even vandalism. :p

I have rarely had occasion to use public chargers in the 6 months of having the car, but have not thought security of the cable to be an issue.

Rapid chargers have tethered cables and with non-rapid public chargers you need to swipe your card to commence and stop the session, so the cable will not release until the card used to commence the session is swiped to conclude. I also have a Rolec unit in the drive with a tethered cable, but I know others have untethered and have employed a range of measures to protect the cable while charing then.

I've only tried 3 different Ecotricity CHAdeMo chargers but none of them required the swipe card to disconnect once the charger had reached 80% and cut out. One of them didn't need a swipe card at all.

I put a padlock on the doors handle and secure the cable. Today i use the type 1 to charge at a regular outlet at the mall and when I arrive someone took the cable out of the outlet, the car didnt charge :oops: , but the cable was still there since my padlock was securing it..

Fran said:
Hi, Just got a G3XH and I'm concerned out my charging cable being stolen whilst charging at public charging points. I've read that the cable is locked into the charging point and can't be removed until you swipe your card to release it, is this correct?

I've also heard of people securing their cable to their car with a bike cable and padlocks, securing the charging cable to their wheel, any thoughts?

Park with one wheel over the cable or make a loop thru the wheel spoke and thread the plug thru the loop, if your cable is long enough.

Jeff

Don't park a wheel on cable, you will damage the insulation. Loop the cable through the wheel and padlock it. If you have a towbar you there will be a hole where you can attach a breakaway cable, I use this to padlock the cable to as it is easier than using the wheel.

Mdejon said:
I put a padlock on the doors handle and secure the cable. Today i use the type 1 to charge at a regular outlet at the mall and when I arrive someone took the cable out of the outlet, the car didn’t charge :oops: , but the cable was still there since my padlock was securing it..
How did they do that? Normally the cable locks in when you swipe your card.

jaapv said:
Mdejon said:
I put a padlock on the doors handle and secure the cable. Today i use the type 1 to charge at a regular outlet at the mall and when I arrive someone took the cable out of the outlet, the car didn’t charge :oops: , but the cable was still there since my padlock was securing it..
How did they do that? Normally the cable locks in when you swipe your card.

I was chaging on a regular 110 outlet..

Back