Side Steps

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazMan

Having just got delivery of my Gx4h confirmed (just a couple of weeks now :) ) I was looking around for a few accessories to make it 'mine' if you know what I mean.
My first choice was a set of side steps and although ebay offers a load of different choices, I really like the OEM ones on the 'conventional' Outlander. These, I am told by MM, will not fit the PHEV without modification to one side due to exhaust clearance issues. So in the hope of just doing some basic fabrication (how hard can it be?) I have ordered a set and hope to get them fitted soon.

On the off chance, has anyone had a go at this already?

Very nice and pretty much what I want, although if I am not mistaken they are aftermarket steps aren't they? (I think the oem's will not fit with front mudflaps) I had a feeling it was possible - are there any pictures of the mods needed to the brackets?

Having fitted some genuine MM sidesteps I can confirm that they do fit - but with a bit of surgery ;)
The left side is no problem at all and they fit exactly like the diesel car they are designed for. The right side however is not so straightforward. The front two brackets need to be modified to clear the exhaust system which runs along that side. This is not too tricky if you are DIY minded but might need the use of an angle grinder and MIG welder.

I love the subtle look :D

IMG_0515_zps8e898b2a.jpg
IMG_0514_zps9319007e.jpg

RazMan said:
Having fitted some genuine MM sidesteps I can confirm that they do fit - but with a bit of surgery ;)
The left side is no problem at all and they fit exactly like the diesel car they are designed for. The right side however is not so straightforward. The front two brackets need to be modified to clear the exhaust system which runs along that side. This is not too tricky if you are DIY minded but might need the use of an angle grinder and MIG welder.

Not what I'd expected - they are not really "steps" at all merely a side bar. It doesn't look as though they are wide enough to stand on and also don't seem to project further than the mid-line moulding so won't prevent people opening their doors against your car :eek:

Jaapv's look bigger :oops:

greendwarf said:
RazMan said:

Not what I'd expected - they are not really "steps" at all merely a side bar. It doesn't look as though they are wide enough to stand on and also don't seem to project further than the mid-line moulding so won't prevent people opening their doors against your car :eek:

Jaapv's look bigger :oops:

I have to say that I thought exactly the same - they don't seem to serve much purpose.

I have to agree that they are more of a cosmetic addition but they do stop a lot of road muck going up the sides. However they are a functional step an you can use them to reach the roof rails or wash the roof for example. The pictures don't really do them justice and are at the only angle that I could manage due to lack of space on my drive.

Back