Part Wanted Space saver wheel wanted in the UK

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part Wanted
No longer required as I bought one from eBay. I won't carry it in a daily basis, but will if we go on a long journey.

No longer required as I bought one from eBay. I won't carry it in a daily basis, but will if we go on a long journey.
Is it the same circumference as the tires you have currently? That's the problem with space saver wheel for our PHEV

It's supposed to be an 18" ...not tried it yet as it only came yesterday
Diameter of the rim is one thing but what is important is the total tire circumference to match the main tires.
225/60/18 is not the same as 225/40/18 although both are 18"

I believe that's one of the reasons it doesn't have an spare

Diameter of the rim is one thing but what is important is the total tire circumference to match the main tires.
225/60/18 is not the same as 225/40/18 although both are 18"

I believe that's one of the reasons it doesn't have an spare
Thanks, to be honest it's only for real emergencies with no intent to drive hundreds of miles. Just to get out of a bad situation and enable us to get to the nearest tyre place. If it gets us there then it's done it's job.
It was bought as a Mitsubishi Outlander space saver so I will check size when I undo it later, but thanks for the heads up!

More, or at least as important would be the load rating of the tyres, since the PHEV is heavier.

Thanks, to be honest it's only for real emergencies with no intent to drive hundreds of miles. Just to get out of a bad situation and enable us to get to the nearest tyre place. If it gets us there then it's done it's job.
It was bought as a Mitsubishi Outlander space saver so I will check size when I undo it later, but thanks for the heads up!
Yea I figure that out, just as warning not to use it for long distance and high speed.
Just to know if you don't already, if the wheel has significant different circumference the vehicle will throw an error.

Yea I figure that out, just as warning not to use it for long distance and high speed.
Just to know if you don't already, if the wheel has significant different circumference the vehicle will throw an error.
Would the error be able to reset itself when the correct tyre and wheel were back on the car? Would it be similar to a tyre pressure error?

I'm sorry, I haven't been able to find the post, but I recall a member saying that the car wasn't drive-able with a space saver on, because it kept triggering ABS and Traction Control. (I think)

I haven't been able to find the right combination of search terms, because there has been a huge amount of discussion about space-savers in the past.

I have used one, its fine, no alerts or problems.

The reason full size wheels were dropped was because the EU Emissions Legislation forced weight saving.
In desperation to hit weight thresholds (for Tax incentives) we even have smaller capacity screen wash bottles.

If your tyre picks up a nail, the liquid gunk will probably work.
When you rip the side wall on a pot hole, as happened to me you are in a mess and a spacesaver is a god send.

The TPMS will reset just as it does with normal wheels.
One on bay with a Circumference Comparison.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256440089215

The reason full size wheels were dropped was because the EU Emissions Legislation forced weight saving.
In desperation to hit weight thresholds (for Tax incentives) we even have smaller capacity screen wash bottles.

When you rip the side wall on a pot hole, as happened to me you are in a mess and a spacesaver is a god send.

It's not a TPMS error that is a problem. The different diameter tyres can cause an "EV system error" that doesn't just reset, although IIRC it can be reset by disconnecting the Aux battery for a period.

Looking for a space saver wheel in the UK. Preferably in good condition and compatible with [insert car make and model if applicable]. Willing to negotiate on price and arrange pickup/delivery within reasonable distance. Please reach out if you have one available or know where I can find one. Thanks!
i got mine off ebay UK, i watched it for a while, then received an offer .... though India is along way from the UK ...

How does TPMS reset unless you are putting a spacesaver tyre on a existing wheel - which rather defeats the purpose. AFAIK the car can only store 4 TPMS codes at a time and they have to be programmed in by a dealer. So if you are talking about a spacesaver tyre and wheel combo, how does the car know about the "spare" TPMS code?

How does TPMS reset unless you are putting a spacesaver tyre on a existing wheel - which rather defeats the purpose. AFAIK the car can only store 4 TPMS codes at a time and they have to be programmed in by a dealer. So if you are talking about a spacesaver tyre and wheel combo, how does the car know about the "spare" TPMS code?
I am assuming the reference to resetting the toms is for when the original wheel and repaired/replaced tyre is added, not whilst the space saver wheel is in use

Back