Part Wanted Space saver wheel wanted in the UK

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part Wanted
Yes of course it can only detect a wheel with a sensor fitted and the spacesaver doesnt have one.
I did read the system can recognise 5 wheel sensors, and it can also have a separate set of winter tyres.
As well as pressure the sensors also transmit tyre temperature, this can be read with the Torque App.
Its noticeable when a tyre loses pressure the temperature rises.
I set this up maybe 5yrs ago so you will have google to find the plugin.

Attachments

• Torque App TPMS Plugin.jpg
    Torque App TPMS Plugin.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
I've ignored this thread until now, so here goes. Space savers are a joke. Never mind any nonsense about TPMS etc. Consider this, and it applies to all cars that came with that nasty little skinny tyre but probably more so for cars that did not.
If you load your car with all your junk for a holiday, then get a puncture and swap your NORMAL wheel for that nasty peice of garbage that limits your speed and distance to next failure, where are you going to put your normal wheel? There is no built in space for it! So you're going to have to rearrange all your stuff. Then consider your environmentally friendly EV/PHEV with no 'spare' at all let alone space for one.

You better be prepared for that and be able to carry out an emergency repair of a basic puncture with a sticky cord type plug kit and make sure your cheap nasty compressor actually works when needed (mine crapped out when I needed it after letting some air out on all 4 tyres for a beach driving test, turned out the switch was cheap garbage). I carry a somewhat better compressor(tested several times) now, and tyre plugs which I have used when after market TPMS indicated a problem (no alarm, just me being observant)

Well... Here in Oz. If you're in the middle of nowhere, you tow a trailer with many spare wheels and tires, or have them on your roof rack.

Everywhere else, places that sell tyres also offer roadside repair/replacement and it's a significant part of their business.

You don't destroy your tyre when you get a flat because you have TPMS that warns you that the tyre is going/has gone flat.

Hard to see it as an issue on any modern car, with modern tyres.

I've ignored this thread until now, so here goes. Space savers are a joke. Never mind any nonsense about TPMS etc. Consider this, and it applies to all cars that came with that nasty little skinny tyre but probably more so for cars that did not.
If you load your car with all your junk for a holiday, then get a puncture and swap your NORMAL wheel for that nasty peice of garbage that limits your speed and distance to next failure, where are you going to put your normal wheel? There is no built in space for it! So you're going to have to rearrange all your stuff. Then consider your environmentally friendly EV/PHEV with no 'spare' at all let alone space for one.

You better be prepared for that and be able to carry out an emergency repair of a basic puncture with a sticky cord type plug kit and make sure your cheap nasty compressor actually works when needed (mine crapped out when I needed it after letting some air out on all 4 tyres for a beach driving test, turned out the switch was cheap garbage). I carry a somewhat better compressor(tested several times) now, and tyre plugs which I have used when after market TPMS indicated a problem (no alarm, just me being observant)
I agree re the potential use of a plug repair kit, BUT that doesn't always work does it? A tear for instance?
But the other part of your answer is strange to say the least .... to suggest someone is incapable of finding space for their wheel because their car is so loaded is quite ludicrous!
I started this thread asking where I could get a space saver, I didn't ask for opinions as to their suitability, which as usual in a forum are contradictory to say the least!

While I didn't say it directly I was thinking that if you want a spare, get a proper one rather than a space saver.

That way you can carry on as normal, and if you are fully loaded then at least you know where the dead one can be put. I cannot believe that available space is so limited that a space saver is of much benefit, and if it was a problem then you must have the wrong car.

BTW, last year on ANZAC Day (25th April) I noticed my aftermarket TPMS indicated one tyre was about 4psi low. I found a screw was imbedded and had punctured it. One tyre plug and nearly a year later it is still good without any leakage.

I agree re the potential use of a plug repair kit, BUT that doesn't always work does it? A tear for instance?
But the other part of your answer is strange to say the least .... to suggest someone is incapable of finding space for their wheel because their car is so loaded is quite ludicrous!
I started this thread asking where I could get a space saver, I didn't ask for opinions as to their suitability, which as usual in a forum are contradictory to say the least!
Ludicrous? Really? In your own words in your second post on this you said you had bought one but only going to carry on long trips. It kind of suggested space was going to be an issue. So I stand by my remark about finding space to put it. Otherwise why did you want a space saver in the first place?

Ludicrous? Really? In your own words in your second post on this you said you had bought one but only going to carry on long trips. It kind of suggested space was going to be an issue. So I stand by my remark about finding space to put it. Otherwise why did you want a space saver in the first place?
There you go again, making your own interpretations when there is nothing to interpret, other than to fit your narrative.
FYI, the car is driven by my wife, she only drives local. Her max journey is 15 miles from our home address. We are both retired (early) so when she is out shopping, I am at home 99% of the time. So I can (almost) always be there within twenty mins or so to fit ANY spare, whether it be space saver or spare full size.
Last week we drove 250 miles to see her mum, and we carried the space saver, lots of room ......!!
I appreciate that you were trying to help BUT I didn't ask you to waste your time by offering your own interpretation on what you thought I 'wanted' and now I have wasted my time having to explain or justify my reasons.......

There you go again, making your own interpretations when there is nothing to interpret, other than to fit your narrative.
FYI, the car is driven by my wife, she only drives local. Her max journey is 15 miles from our home address. We are both retired (early) so when she is out shopping, I am at home 99% of the time. So I can (almost) always be there within twenty mins or so to fit ANY spare, whether it be space saver or spare full size.
Last week we drove 250 miles to see her mum, and we carried the space saver, lots of room ......!!
I appreciate that you were trying to help BUT I didn't ask you to waste your time by offering your own interpretation on what you thought I 'wanted' and now I have wasted my time having to explain or justify my reasons.......
You didn't have to waste your time explaining, but that's often the outcome in a forum, and it's completely voluntary. So don't blame me for it.

Another consideration is I really don't care what you do or think, but maybe someone elso could find my suggestion useful.

And since you have stated space isn't a problem, what convinced you a space saver is a good idea? Given that it instantly compromises driveability.

Feel free to ignore me

And since you have stated space isn't a problem, what convinced you a space saver is a good idea? Given that it instantly compromises driveability.

Feel free to ignore me
I find that a flat with no replacement compromises driveability even more...

Martin

Back