Spare wheel / space saver … a Maverick alternative?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulu67MP

A recent eBay search found that pre-owned Outlander spacesavers in the UK seem to be very expensive - typically £150+! Why?

Those for other cars with the same size tyres were being offered for much less - such as a CR-V wheel at around £40 to £80. The only trouble is that the Outlander hub diameter is 67.1mm, whereas most marques' hubs tend to be smaller so their spacesavers can't be fitted to our PHEV's without adding spacers, which is fine except that the wheel can’t self-centre and it leaves a little less stud length available for the nuts.

But then I saw a couple of ads for unused 155/90/17 spacesavers for 2001 Ford Maverick’s at only £20-25 ... so I bought one … and it fits. Okay, so it's 20+years old, but the holes are all correct and it looks good as new, with no evident rubber deterioration, so I reckon it'll do nicely for the rare-hopefully-never occasion when I might need to use it.

That all said, there's the question of offset to take into account too. The PHEV is ET +33-40, whilst the Maverick spare is +45mm (as per my measurement), so the latter sits slightly more inboard than out, though still well-within the volume of the normal wheel. It fits on the back or front hubs with no rubbing or steering restriction (though I'd personally swap the wheels around to use it on the back, for safety’s sake).

What I don't know is the offset figure for an 'official' Outlander spacesaver and whether the Maverick's 45mm might present potential problems, so if anyone can advise please, I'd be much obliged.

Attachments

• Maverick Spacesaver diagram.png
    Maverick Spacesaver diagram.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Maverick spacesaver for PHEV.jpg
    Maverick spacesaver for PHEV.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Maverick wheel - PHEV front.jpg
    Maverick wheel - PHEV front.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 25
Did you figure out the issue? I'm asking because I am also looking for a space saver though my wheels are 18" .....

Did you figure out the issue? I'm asking because I am also looking for a space saver though my wheels are 18" .....
I've not received any further info regarding the offset, though looking at the WILLTHEYFIT.com graphic I posted I'm not too concerned. If someone who has a genuine Outlander spare can post a similar graphic, that could prove useful. Pretty please?

Interesting. Can you confirm that the Outlander rims are designed to be run-flat compatible, please?

这很好,除非在冬季条件下驾驶。那你会怎么做?
这很好,除非在冬季条件下驾驶。那你会怎么做?
CINTURATO™ ALL SEASON SF 2 225/55R18 102V XL:全年安静且安全

新款 CINTURATO™ ALL SEASON SF 2 225/55R18 102V XL 是寻求创新移动解决方案的个人的完美选择。这款新一代全季节产品以冬季象形图 (3PMSF) 为特色,旨在在城市和高速公路环境中提供最佳性能,特别强调所有天气条件和里程下的安全性。3PMSF 标记保证了冬季和夏季的完美可用性,始终符合法规,无需季节性更换轮胎。全新 CINTURATO™ ALL SEASON SF 2 225/55R18 102V XL 全年为您提供高品质、舒适且安全的体验。它采用选定尺寸的扩展移动技术 Seal Inside™ 和 RUN FLAT。

The Pirelli SF2 has the 3-peak snowflake symbol, it should be fine in the winter.
According to moderntiredealer.com "An all-season tire that meets 3PMS is still a remarkable tire in the balance of performance it can deliver and for that reason, they represent the top 10% of the all-season tire market. But the best dedicated winter tires out there can deliver up to 50% more traction and control on snow and ice."
In most parts of Canada the increased traction makes a big difference for several months of the year, so I swap over to winter tires seasonally (and watch that they don't wear too much). I got to say my Michelin-Xs and mud mode got me through some pretty deep snow no problem, when some other cars on my street couldn't move. I also really notice the difference on ice (where I use snow mode).

Back