Tailgate speed

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMiller

I've noticed that compared to other cars with powered tailgates (Jag XF, E-class Merc) the PHEV operates really s-l-o-w-l-y (several seconds to open/close rather than about one second). I assume this isn't just my vehicle? I don't suppose anyone's found an option buried deep in the settings menu to vary the speed??

#firstworldproblems :)

Agreed, the tailgate is too slow.

Opening isn't so bad, generally done from inside the car or with the remote.

Closing and locking via the 'nipple' button (actually I have another body part word for it, lets just say it's difficult to find button) and you're standing there like a loon feeling for it.

Then after pressing the nipple button, one can't see the indicators answerback or see the wing mirrors so fold in so the only way to confirm is to listen to the wing mirror motors.

It's a great car but it has so many irritating and poorly thought out niggles.

Bah!

ChrisMiller said:
You're lucky to live in the Netherlands, where it never rains, jaapv.

No, I'm not entirely serious. :)
It means you stand watching it close? :eek: Me, I get inside and leave the car to do its thing.

SolarBoy said:
Agreed, the tailgate is too slow.

Opening isn't so bad, generally done from inside the car or with the remote.

Closing and locking via the 'nipple' button (actually I have another body part word for it, lets just say it's difficult to find button) and you're standing there like a loon feeling for it.

Then after pressing the nipple button, one can't see the indicators answerback or see the wing mirrors so fold in so the only way to confirm is to listen to the wing mirror motors.

It's a great car but it has so many irritating and poorly thought out niggles.

Bah!
Wat happened to your key fob?

Good question, keyfob's zipped away in somewhere my raincoat's pocket, I am holding my children's school bags/bottles, not enough hands!

As an aiside, with the keyless operation it really annoys me I can't get in my house front door without getting the keys out. First world problems!

SolarBoy said:
As an aiside, with the keyless operation it really annoys me I can't get in my house front door without getting the keys out. First world problems!

I have seen house locks that open with a proximity detector; perhaps have a chip, same as we have to chip dogs with, inserted under the skin of you hand, door unlocks as you wave your hand at the door. First World Problem solved!

I beep the horn when I arrive and Jeeves has the door open by the time I swing around the drive.

I have my Man trained better than that. He is supposed to recognize the crunch of the gravel in the Drive to my house. He lines up the staff to greet me, takes my coat and hat and the Groom will deploy the Umbrella.

Really - the tailgate is too slow?!!

Yesterday I went shopping and I popped the tailgate on my approach to the car and by the time I reached it with a trolley load of shopping, in the rain, it was open and ready to load. Loaded up, pressed to close tailgate, walked to the trolley station to return the trolley and the tailgate was all closed up ready to go! Simples.

My previous car had a 'faster acting' tailgate I admit, but I have just adapted to suit and still find it to a benefit. If I want to lock the car after closing the tailgate from outside, I just head away from the car and then lock it using the key fob and as most often this is needed when getting home and my house keys are on the same keyring, I need to have them to hand anyway - again, simples!

lg1726 said:
Really - the tailgate is too slow?!!

Yesterday I went shopping and I popped the tailgate on my approach to the car and by the time I reached it with a trolley load of shopping, in the rain, it was open and ready to load. Loaded up, pressed to close tailgate, walked to the trolley station to return the trolley and the tailgate was all closed up ready to go! Simples.

My previous car had a 'faster acting' tailgate I admit, but I have just adapted to suit and still find it to a benefit. If I want to lock the car after closing the tailgate from outside, I just head away from the car and then lock it using the key fob and as most often this is needed when getting home and my house keys are on the same keyring, I need to have them to hand anyway - again, simples!

But you walked away from the car to return your trolley leaving the car unlocked ... round here if I did that it'd be emptied complete with the shopping in seconds :D

My only problem with the tailgate is that you can't lock the car until it's finished closing. On my last two cars they both let you lock the car whilst the boot was closing which meant you didn't have to hang around and wait for it.

Saying that I locked the car once whilst walking away and the boot hit something in the mechanism and opened up again, a kind passer by followed me into the shops to tell me my boot was open! :eek:

First post...but...

Our remote will not open the tailgate of our 2016 (facelift) PHEV. Is there a setting somewhere?

If it's the same as the 2014 models, there's two possible problems.
1) There's a "tailgate disconnect" button on the centre console, near the 12volt socket - make sure it's not pressed.
2) The remote needs to be pressed twice in quick succession to work. (That was my problem!).

Sorry for not replying before - hadn't turned on email notifications of new posts to the thread.

Double press works! I actually did check the manual before posting and I'm sure it didn't say this.

Thanks for the help :D

Here it is in the 2014 manual:
33dggur.jpg

Back