Test drive day 1

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeds

I've got a shiny white gx4hs on a 3 day test drive. We've just been out for a short family drive to get everyone's feedback, but I've left the manual at work so can't answer our basic questions.

Is there lumbar adjustment for the driver and passenger seats? Has anyone else felt it in their lower back, as both my wife and I noticed it?

Is there a ski flap in the back seat? It didn't look like it, but it was too dark to have a good look. Not a deal breaker, but handy for carrying sails.

The middle seatbelt looked like the end could be disconnected and stored in the roof, but we couldn't work out how. Any hints?

All in all I am very impressed. Just need to decide if the whistles and bells on the gx4hs are worth the extra £100 a month over the gx3.

Tweeds said:
All in all I am very impressed. Just need to decide if the whistles and bells on the gx4hs are worth the extra £100 a month over the gx3.
Forget about the bells. Instead, consider the advantages of having an electric heater in winter time. If you aim at reducing your fuel consumption, the electric heater is almost a must have.

I agree about the heater but also the HID headlights you get with the 4H don't get mentioned, our other car has HID's but the ones on the PHEV are amazing! seriously after my test drive when I jumped back into my normal bulb company car I got out to see what was up with them! (nothing of course just rubbish compared)

Hi Tweeds and welcome.

there is no lumbar support, I did feel it at first but not now.
The middle seat belt can be disconnected by pushing a key into the side of the anchor (you'll see a white clip) it will release and you can secure both clips into the roof so they don't rattle.

There is no ski hatch!

Personally the GH4 has a good balance of bells, the GH4S adds 3 expensive features that I'd like but not pay for.

Harry

BobEngineer said:
I agree about the heater but also the HID headlights you get with the 4H don't get mentioned, our other car has HID's but the ones on the PHEV are amazing! seriously after my test drive when I jumped back into my normal bulb company car I got out to see what was up with them! (nothing of course just rubbish compared)

The PHEV HIDs are impressive, but also embarrassing - other drivers hate them and I'm always getting flashed.

anko said:
Tweeds said:
Forget about the bells. Instead, consider the advantages of having an electric heater in winter time. If you aim at reducing your fuel consumption, the electric heater is almost a must have.
1200 pounds buys a lot of fuel for the 3-4 months this is a major issue.

As a matter of fact, due to expensive public charging and low gas prices, currently it is cheaper for me to drive home on petrol than it is on electricity :evil: . But some people that aim at reducing their fuel consumption may have the environment in mind and not necessarily their wallets.

If you are one of those people ... ;)

I did pay extra for LDW, ACC and FCM, but would not do so if I had to decide now. Secondary roads are too narrow for LDM, and I have to switch it off every trip.

It is a matter of training, Anko. In my case LDW has turned me into a more precise driver. FCM only functions properly once a week - and when I complain about it at the dealer...

On a straight road? Sure. But on a narrow winding road you may not want to stay between the lines at all times, as the layout of the road is not in all cases 'fluent'. Cutting corners every now and then results in a much more comfortable ride. Especially for your passengers.

It is a great tool for motorways, but not so much for secondary roads. And also, imho the tool has little added value on secondary roads as you will be more alert anyway. It would be great if it could detect motorways.

maby said:
The PHEV HIDs are impressive, but also embarrassing - other drivers hate them and I'm always getting flashed.

:arrow: All of the 3 PHEV's I have driven, Aspire model here in AUS, have had poorly adjusted HID low beams. The self leveling system needs to be disabled or at least be a manual adjustment system. Very tired of being flashed by other drivers, so found an 8mm ratchet spanner and lowered the beams of each cars HID lamps. Self leveling system is still a problem but still to find a workable solution.

gwatpe said:
maby said:

:arrow: All of the 3 PHEV's I have driven, Aspire model here in AUS, have had poorly adjusted HID low beams. The self leveling system needs to be disabled or at least be a manual adjustment system. Very tired of being flashed by other drivers, so found an 8mm ratchet spanner and lowered the beams of each cars HID lamps. Self leveling system is still a problem but still to find a workable solution.

I don't think it is only poor alignment - I think it is down to the characteristics of the HID beam. No matter how low you set it, there will always be times when it angles up to a level where it will dazzle an oncoming driver - going over the brow of a hill, bouncing in a deep pot hole. The trouble (as well as benefit) of the HID beam is that it extends right across the front of the car - conventional headlights dip at an angle, away from oncoming traffic, so those variations in the angle of the car may dazzle pedestrians on the pavement, but will not impact oncoming drivers.

Back