The blasted luggage cover

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plugger

In general I love my car, but the luggage blind is the one detail that is driving me insane!!!
On every other car I owned or hired, recently, the luggage blind lifts when you open the boot. With this one, hands full, you have to put everything down and fiddle with the cover in order to pack the boot. Such a simple thing, but it really gets me before and after every trip as every time, I have to load and unload the boot.

Anyone thought of a fix? I cannot leave the cover open as I carry valuable kit in the boot and cannot leave it on view.

Plugger said:
In general I love my car, but the luggage blind is the one detail that is driving me insane!!!
On every other car I owned or hired, recently, the luggage blind lifts when you open the boot. With this one, hands full, you have to put everything down and fiddle with the cover in order to pack the boot. Such a simple thing, but it really gets me before and after every trip as every time, I have to load and unload the boot.

Anyone thought of a fix? I cannot leave the cover open as I carry valuable kit in the boot and cannot leave it on view.

Funny. I absolutely loath those hard covers that lift when you open the boot. I carry a lot of kit too, odd shaped bags and boxes are in and out all the time. The flexible cover tolerates things sticking up or bouncing around. In my experience those hard covers make the space totally rigid so I end up spending ages trying pack stuff in so it will fit, then if they are too loaded and you go over a bump the cargo hits and dislodges the cover so its rattling around.

What does annoy me about the PHEV cover is the mount position. They are too low below the window line. They could easily be a 2-3 of inches higher which would probably add another 50 litres space.

This style of luggage cover is pretty standard on any estate car or large MPV/SUV. The lift-up style is generally fitted to hatchback cars. That's my experience, but I could be wrong.
The thing that annoys me about the luggage cover is that it is rattles a little over bumps - it's the only noise in the cabin!

DazzyB said:
This style of luggage cover is pretty standard on any estate car or large MPV/SUV. The lift-up style is generally fitted to hatchback cars. That's my experience, but I could be wrong.
The thing that annoys me about the luggage cover is that it is rattles a little over bumps - it's the only noise in the cabin!

I get absolutely no rattle from my cover. I find it fits extremely well and is taut enough not to provide any movement.

There are two slot where it can be fitted and I have mine fitted to the slot closest to the rear seats, I then recline the rear seats back so they are tight against the cover holder end.

Ozukus said:
DazzyB said:

I get absolutely no rattle from my cover. I find it fits extremely well and is taut enough not to provide any movement.

There are two slot where it can be fitted and I have mine fitted to the slot closest to the rear seats, I then recline the rear seats back so they are tight against the cover holder end.

Thanks, I'll try that. Only had the car a few days so sorting this out hasn't been top priority. It's only noticeable over speed bumps and if I don't have any music playing.

Ozukus said:
DazzyB said:

Same here regarding position and I had the same cover on my Avensis estate. The flexible cover also discourages you from putting any heavy objects on top which could kill you in a front shunt :eek:

Another endorsement for the flexible roll away cover. Had the same type in our previous SAAB. We have dogs and have fitted a dog guard, so the roll away cover is great as we can use when the dogs are not in the car and then roll it away when they are! Have not found it to be noisy at all. We previously used a dog crate, but gave up on it a couple of weeks after getting the PHEV because of the awful noise it made, which we heard above everything - hence the dog guard!

Back