The EV button

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonPaul

I've had an Outlander PHEV (2018) for a couple of months now and am pleased with it, but I'm still puzzled about the ECO button underneath the display screen. I've routinely turned it on whether I'm driving in EV mode or going on a longer journey with the "save charge" option using the full hybrid mode because it's supposed to help economy, but recently I've tried leaving it off - and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the speed at which the battery drains, or indeed anything else!

Are there any views out there? Yes I've read the relevant bit of the manual.

My understanding is that it reduces the power to the air-conditioner, and re-maps the accelerator pedal so that full power is further travel.

I'm pretty sure that you can over ride the accelerator just by pushing it further, so it's very easy to not get any benefit.

I've noticed that my car feels slower off the line when in eco mode.

For long trips at constant speed, I'm not sure that it's possible to see a difference.

AndyInOz said:
My understanding is that it reduces the power to the air-conditioner, and re-maps the accelerator pedal so that full power is further travel.

I'm pretty sure that you can over ride the accelerator just by pushing it further, so it's very easy to not get any benefit.

I've noticed that my car feels slower off the line when in eco mode.

For long trips at constant speed, I'm not sure that it's possible to see a difference.
I noticed the same.
Also, the air conditioning seemed to cycle on and off when in ECO. So you would notice the vent air temperature not staying constant.

What AndyInOz said.

ECO reduces AC power and remap the accelerator. If one is gentle with the accelerator anyway there is no difference in using ECO beside the AC power reduction.

I have used eco for about three months, and I'm now experimenting without it.
And I'm not really sure if it's worth using it, but I will continue experimenting.

The only real changes I can see are on the aircon and the pedal. And I guess that's all.

Whether or not the Eco button reduces the Air Conditioning power is selectable in the vehicle setup. The only thing it really does is remap the accelerator pedal to make it easier to stay within the Eco zone of power delivery, i.e. it gives you a longer travel for the same power output so it's easier to graduate in between. But then at some point it has to get steeper again to get to full power in the smaller portion of travel that is left, so if you accidentally stray there you may end up worse off than with the normal pedal map.

Back