Time zone

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipper

Does anybody know if it is possible to get my time zone showing on my forum pages here to show 'good ole GMT'? All I can find is UTC (whatever that is?) and various time zones within.

It's not that I mind being a bit antipodean now and again and not wishing to offend in any way, but it does make life confusing! :lol:

Tipper said:
Does anybody know if it is possible to get my time zone showing on my forum pages here to show 'good ole GMT'? All I can find is UTC (whatever that is?) and various time zones within.

It's not that I mind being a bit antipodean now and again and not wishing to offend in any way, but it does make life confusing! :lol:

UTC is the same as GMT, it is just that non Brits like to refer to UTC. It stands for Universal Time Coordinate.

:geek:

b45 said:
Tipper said:

UTC is the same as GMT, it is just that non Brits like to refer to UTC. It stands for Universal Time Coordinate.

:geek:

Nearly B45 - Universal Time Co-ordinated

I take it you know about Drivers hours and tachographs?

Oficially:

◾GMT is a time zone officially used in some European and African countries. The time can be displayed using both the 24-hour format (0 - 24) or the 12-hour format (1 - 12 am/pm).
◾UTC is not a time zone, but a time standard that is the basis for civil time and time zones worldwide. This means that no country or territory officially uses UTC as a local time.
(frome timeanddate.com)

Hi Jaapv,

While UTC may not be a time zone per say, it is equal to GMT. UTC is used in many different types of data recording equipment that may be used cross border, so that changes do not have to be made due to local time differences. I even have a setting for it on my watch :)

Most spacecraft use one of two time conventions, or more likely, both of these

Universal Time Coordinated / Universal Coordinated Time / Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) - all expressions are used.
GPS Time

The difference between these two is slight, but changes periodically. The difference is currently 16 seconds, as can be seen on this clock.

http://leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm

The reason for the difference is the failure for GPS time to keep track of leap seconds (This is deliberate, to not have to worry about missing seconds). We do have "leap second" adjustments, the previous leap second occured in Sunnyvale on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 4:59:60 PM. UTC time was June 30, 2015 at 23:59:60. A leap second is added to UTC in order to synchronize atomic clocks with the Earth's ever slowing rotation.

UTC is an international standard, established for things where a common time metric is needed across the world. Some satellites move through 24 time zones in a very short period of time (non-geostationary), the ISS orbits in about 100 minutes, so it makes sense to have a common anchor point. Typically, navigation systems use GPS time, while other systems use UTC time (also called "Zulu").

One Astronaut has commented : "First off, we live on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) - which is a time zone roughly halfway between Houston and Moscow, where our two main control centers are located. So when we wake up (at around 7:00 GMT), it is 2 in the morning in Houston and 11 in the morning in Moscow."

Jeff

I'm not so sure . . . . :geek:

rocket science
noun humorous

"something very difficult to understand"

"we want you to get out and vote—it's not exactly rocket science"

jthspace said:
"we want you to get out and vote—it's not exactly rocket science"
Where do you live? - politics over here are so messed up that I am utterly confused each time I should vote...

Ah! Voting. Touchy subject. My comments may be seen as a bit political, so admin can delete . . .

I always vote; I am of an age where uncles fought in WWII and people died so that I have the opportunity to vote. Therefore I vote otherwise it is an insult to those that died if I don't. I have my freedom, thanks to their sacrifices.

Now, personally, I believe it should be compulsory that people vote - BUT the voting slip should have a "none of the above" or the ability to make the voting slip invalid - "spoilt". One can always spoil a voting slip in the U.K. by simply putting more than one "X" on the form or not marking it at all, but it would be good to have a "none of the above" :) At least then they would have a better idea (or would they?) of what we think of them.

Or, more likely, we would get someone setting up a political party called "none of the above" and we would get a weirdo elected - well a weirdo that is more weird than the weirdos we have got at the moment. . . . . . :shock:

I won't delete ;) I don't believe voting should be compulsory - but I do believe that everybody has a moral obligation to vote. I have not missed once in my life.

Back