Timed heating - does it work?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy123

I've had my PHEV for just over a year, and I'm not sure if my timed heating works or not!

I have it set to come on at 0530 on a Monday so it's warm when I leave for work at 6am. I used the app to set it for 30mins (it's plugged in). But it never seems to be warm - and on checking an old thread on here suggests it'll only run the climate control for ten mins.

So what does the 30minute option in the app mean? Is my car warming up from 0530 for ten minutes then cooling down again? Or is there some other fault?

I seem to recall i have got into a warm car - but I guess that could be leaving early as it's still running occasionally?

I've set the timers from the app and from the screen.

Thanks

Is your car firmware up to date? The original app+firmware could only run the preheat for 10 minutes, but an update was released. I have the updated app, but never updated the firmware - my app offers timings of up to 30 minutes, but the car cannot act upon them.

I lurve my timed heater!

Have you chec ked then when you set the time, you ahve the option set to heat - I think there is cool, heat, windscreen and off - set the time, and set it to heat.

Mine is set from 06.20 - 06.30 on heat, which is enough to get the cabin warm enough, and also defrost the windscreen too.

Pretty sure I've updated the car's firmware - but it's in for service soon so they can check.

And yes, I've checked all sorts of different times - but not just the ten minute option.

Andy123 said:
Pretty sure I've updated the car's firmware - but it's in for service soon so they can check.

And yes, I've checked all sorts of different times - but not just the ten minute option.
The fact that you have the 30 minutes option means you have new enough firmware to preheat for 30 minutes. And it should work.

Indeed make sure you have set it defrost (or heat), not cool.
Also, be aware that a car cools down quite rapidly. If you leave 10 past 6, instead of 6, the effect of preheating will be far less noticeable.

anko said:
Andy123 said:

The fact that you have the 30 minutes option means you have new enough firmware to preheat for 30 minutes. And it should work.

Only if it does actually work - I have the latest version of the app loaded on my phone, but have not updated the firmware - the app offers me up to 30 minutes pre-heat, but the car does not implement it.

I deleted the Mitsi app as it is useless. Fed up with the wifi app blocking my iPhone functionality.

I set the heat for 20 mins each morning by the onboard settings - it is a doddle and extremely toasty when I get in.

Do you really need 30 mins heating?

I've set it by the app and by the screen - by rights it should still be on when I get in (which is why i set it for 30 mins to allow for variation in leaving time).

I checked this morning by setting it to work in a couple of minutes - and it came on. So i wonder if the issue is mine only does ten mins.

What version is the latest firmware in the car?

The latest update added the crumb trail to the GPS navigation. I have never used the pre heating options and the app was a novelty for the first week and I don't use it any more. If the app worked through phone data and not WiFi, I would possibly pre-cool the car when parked out on the street. This would be useful when shopping in the city, to get back to a cool car in summer. Usually would take at least 10mins to get back to the car.

Right - definitely something amiss.

Updated the software over the weekend - it's 1.0.2.00 or something. Set it to heat at 0540 for 20 mins. Got in the car at 0558 - stone cold.

Going for a service next weekend, but unfortunately they may not be able to reproduce the issue - I set it to come on as a trial with me sat in the car and it worked. So no idea - maybe it doesn't like Mondays?

Sounds strange.

I have been using pre-heating all workdays during autumn and winter season without problems.

1) You need to set a starting time (Obviously)
2) Activation time is set to 10 min as default. You could increase to 20 or 30 mins depending on situation. I use 30 mins given the climate we have in Sweden.
3) You need to set mode to HEAT or "defroster" icon.
4) To activate you need to "send" the info to the MMCS.

My example here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6-hbziTmnSQX3FBU0tTZzZfT2FfTWhLUEdra2tncFlKQnRj

I believe that there are some problems with using the charging timer and the climate timer at the same time. Please turn off the charging timer to start with.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev/app/remote/timer.html

By the way. You could verify the preheating functionality by sitting in your car and observing how it works. Make sure all doors are closed. Do not turn on the ignition, but rather turn on the preheating manually via your app. You will soon notice whether or not the fan turns on and later the cabin heat increases. Preheating is turned off easily by just opening the door. Hope you get some understanding about possible problems with your car.

Back