TMC

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uptodat

After one month of ownership and 1200 or so miles, very happy with the car, and glad to have traded in a diesel Xtrail, especially given all the current anti diesel publicity. Most recent re-fill showed 104 mpg which included 2 x 120 mile runs, though I do charge almost every night.
However the MMCS remains my only gripe. I still haven't mastered it and the manual, but keep trying to explore the functionality. My latest go was around TMC after meeting roadworks on the A14 at Cambridge, where the satnav gave wrong directions and failed to indicate congestion on set route ahead.
Roadside variable message signs warned of the hold up but nothing showed on MMCS and I heard no traffic messages on FM. So, at the end of the journey (impossible to do on the move) I checked settings.
Radio was tuned to BBC 2 on FM with TP on.
TMC setting showed DRG on and "show all icons".
The current station was shown as Heart. Presumably the dealer set this as I haven't. Thinking that this related to my local Heart radio station or the one local to the dealer - both well out of range - I tried the select a station, then search station options but just got the never ending searching icon with no alternatives appearing. Is it possible to alter this?
What about the registering of TMC surveillance maps? The Nissan system gave traffic info about the route to a destination or within a radius of current location. How big can the MMCS registered surveillance maps be? Counties? Countries? Continents? Do I not get traffic info outside any map I've registered?
Hopefully this is operator error and someone here will restore my faith in the navi system......

I have seen the TMC congestion ICON on my route but it didn't advise me to detour and it should have done as it was a long tailback with a perfect alternative route available.

If you click the TMC button, when zoomed out, it will display a full screen map with ICONS displayed that (I think) you can click on. If there are no TMC alerts on the visible screen with the current zoom then it pops up some sort of error and asks if you want to scan. Zoom out though and it works.

As for TMC surveillance maps, I am totally clueless.

I (mostly) trust my TomTom for live traffic but don't tend to bother using it for shortish trips.

Kind regards,
Mark

I had the congestion symbol showing on the satnav, and sure enough there was congestion. There was no message or option to divert, and no recalculation of route to miss the congestion. But then you're always left wondering how much the car knows that you don't; maybe an alternate route you think it should have suggested may also be clogged up!

On Sunday we were travelling back from the Lake District to Hertfordshire, and there was a hold up on the M6. The signs on the motorway were warning of significant delays covering several junctions. As we approached the first junction we saw the conjestion symbol come up .....and the satnav took us off the motorway to avoid the conjested section of the motorway. I do not recall it saying it was recalculating at any point. I have not reset any of the settings on the car in relation to this since collecting it.

Woolaco, that's encouraging. It could well be that the motorway congestion I hit didn't make a diversion necessary; to be fair it didn't last too long.

I have now seen some of the traffic icons and accessed the detailed info. On the basis of posts here I will hope that DRG will divert as necessary.
I would still appreciate any guidance on the issue of TMC "current station", and changing it if necessary, and how to register and make use of TMC surveillance maps.

hi, proud new owner of a PHEV (black, of course!). Done lots of miles this week (1200!) so not really here to talk about the wonders of electricity, but have had lots of practice with the Navi...
some comments:
it's not the best system in the world, is it? Still, the unit looks good, feels quality and does have some nice features.

biggest gripe on the forum here seems to be getting the TMC (Traffic Management) to work. I also cant seem to access all features, and cant seem to tune to a new station to search for messages, however the following works for me -

make map quite large (i.e scale of 6m or 10m). This will then show 'blackspots' on the map. Pressing the TMC touch (sometimes touch the screen first to get the cross hairs) will then show a blow-up of the area. Then press on each individual traffic icon, and a status/message will be displayed. You can also scroll 'next' thru the messages/blackspots, if there are more than one.

This seems to work where there actually IS an accident/delay etc, if your map is 'clear' then the TMC button just goes to the 'search for new station' b*ll*cks...

Cant help feeling the software lets things down, others have mentioned upgrades, I would be interested in feedback/advice/how to do etc.
ps. r.e. the heavy mileage - I am company car man, so main benefit is the BIK tax, the mileage will calm down and i have been plugging it into the office 2/3 times a week, which always makes me grin in a self-righteous look-at-me-and-my-free-fuel way. For those interested mpg so far (80% non elec miles) is about 34.
cheers and happy plugging!

Back