TPMS Service Required

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nernm

This yellow warning appeared on the dashboard. Checked tyre pressures. All okay.
I had been in hospital for a long period and my wife reckoned it came on after it's MOT at our dealership.
When we went back to the dealership, they asked if we'd had a puncture repaired as it was not an original Mitsubishi valve.
I had been to Halfords before admission to hospital with a slow puncture, which turned out to be a leaky valve - which they replaced.
However the warning definitely did not come on, it only appeared after the MOT. And the car had never been near a garage since then!
Cost circa £100 to have new valve and sensor fitted! The reception showed me the old valve along side the mitsubishi one and explained the difference.
The Mitsubishi valve makes a noticeable click when inserted into the sensor and cannot be pulled out (apart from pressing the release button)
The non-Mitsu one does not click when inserted and be pulled straight back out!
Here is the key to the 'mystery': It doesn't fall off immediately, but through time and gradually slips off due to bumps in road, normal driving etc!
The reception said the first thing they ask people who come in with TPMS problems is have they been to a tyre fitters? (KwikFit, Halfords etc.)
Apparently most tyre fitters break the seal anywhere, which might impinge on the TPMS sensor.
This begs the question, should I ever go back to a tyre fitters? I've just remembered this is our second OutlanderPHEV which we had for eight years and had several tyre changes at tyre fitters with no problems. Perhaps its the indivual fitter you must trust!

Attachments

• ValveTPMS.jpg
    ValveTPMS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • ValveTPMS.jpg
    ValveTPMS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Here's the TPMS sensors OEM reference if anyone is looking.
I find most tyre fitters have the knowhow to handle TPMS equiped vehicules correctly, suppose you must have been unlucky.

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_122556.jpg
    IMG_20231021_122556.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Video now attached. In retrospect it was the non-Mitsu VALVE that was the problem, not the tyre fitter (apologies to tyrefitters)
Please watch video.

Attachments

• valveTPMSedit.mp4
    6.1 MB
In my case, the (inside tyre) TPMS is after market, here in Oz.

So I'd reinforce the idea that tyre fitters know about them and can deal with them accordingly.

As a general rule though, I try to avoid the really low price, super budget places (for servicing or tyres), because they have to keep costs down somehow.

Back