Various PHEV full power modes EV, series, parallel

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

I am trying to figure out the various "full power" modes available to the PHEV. Are the following statements correct?

1. Pure EV - 60kW max (battery limit)
2. Series mode - 120kW max (limit of electric motor front and rear limit)
3. Parallel mode - 147kW max (petrol motor front and electric motor rear)

Thoughts?

whynot said:
I am trying to figure out the various "full power" modes available to the PHEV. Are the following statements correct?

Thoughts?

The Mitsubishi website says 149kw at 4500rpm from the ICE (2 up from pre 2016 model), so if the rear motor is pushing as well full power should be more than that? :shock:

westdevon said:
whynot said:

Thoughts?

The Mitsubishi website says 149kw at 4500rpm from the ICE (2 up from pre 2016 model), so if the rear motor is pushing as well full power should be more than that? :shock:
No, the ICE is 89 kW. At least is was in the original models. So, 89 + 60 leads to 149 kW in total.

The difference between 147 and 149 might be caused by the fact that little power is used to eliminate E-drag in the front E-motor.

You mean:

Max. output kw (bhp) at rpm 149 (200) at 4500 rpm
Yes. That is indeed confusing. The max systemoutput is 149 kW. At those moments, the ICE will be running at 4500 RPM. The max of 120 kW in serial mode is achieve at 4100 RPM, BTW.

From my limited knowledge that's low for a 2 litre. Is it optimised for a wide power band? I've seen mention of "atkinsonised" engines in the Outlander, is that correct?

If you want to understand more how the PHEV works and the various actual power modes/outputs, I think you need to read through the Technical Highlights Manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106981165/PHEV/PHEV%20Outlander%20Technical%20Highlights%20for%20MMAL.pdf

The answer is not a simple addition of what could be possible max output.

The website is wrong to quote 200bhp as it does as ic engine output. The engine is indeed an Atkinson Cycle, modified from the 'normal' 2ltr Mitsubishi petrol engine, with steadily rising torque and low peak power revs, which I take will give the best efficiency to drive the generator.

The Brouchers have a better list of the various outputs under Technical Specifications.

Engine
Engine type 2.0-litre in-line 4-cylinder 16-valve DOHC MIVEC petrol engine
Fuel system Electronically controlled multi-point injection
Fuel type Unleaded
Displacement cc 1998
Bore/stroke mm 86.0 x 86.0
Compression ratio 10.5
Max. output kw (bhp) at rpm 89 (119) / 4500 rpm
Max. torque Nm (lb.ft) at rpm 190 (140) / 4500 rpm
Motors / Battery
Front motor rated output1 kW (bhp) 25 (34)
maximum output2 kW (bhp) 60 (80)
maximum torque Nm (lb.ft) 137 (101)
Rear motor rated output1 kW (bhp) 25 (34)
maximum output2 kW (bhp) 60 (80)
maximum torque Nm (lb.ft) 195 (144)
Battery (main traction) type Lithium-ion
volts 300
Capacity kWh 12
Charging time3 13 Amp supply 5 hours
(approx) 16 Amp supply 3.5 hours
rapid charge to 80% 30 minutes

This is the 2016 model

ian4x4 said:
If you want to understand more how the PHEV works and the various actual power modes/outputs, I think you need to read through the Technical Highlights Manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106981165/PHEV/PHEV%20Outlander%20Technical%20Highlights%20for%20MMAL.pdf

Thanks for that ian4x4. Much clearer now.

Back