VTech box

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea how ma ny. Basically it alters the throttle response to make it easier to keep the car in full electric drive. About the guaranty: my Mitsubishi dealer was happy to fit it.

Anyone know if this affects the ICE cut-in when in cruise control mode, since no direct throttle pedal input is made for this ?

jaapv said:
No, it does not work in (A)CC.
Agreed. When you hit the 'resume' but to get back to the earlier set speed, CC may go about so abruptly that the engine will start. Also, when trying to maintain set speed on a steep incline, the engine may engage.

Understandably, to maintain a set speed on a sufficiently steep incline may require ICE assistance, and there's nothing to be done about that. My minor grumble about the Cruise Control (I don't have ACC) is that (say) I'm approaching a 30 mph zone and travelling at 45 mph. 30 mph is already set in the cruise control memory, so I just click 'resume' and lift off the accelerator, but the car tends to let its speed drop significantly below 30 mph and then 'floor it' to bring the speed back up to the target, and its the 'flooring' that can unintentionally start the ICE. I would have thought it should be possible for this to happen much more smoothly. (AFAICT engaging 'eco' mode doesn't affect this behaviour.)

That's similar to the root of my question, but it relates to CC on and uphills. On several local hills if I drive it I can maintain speed without ICE cut in. Same speed with CC results in ICE cut in as I think it lets speed drop too much then works hard to catch up.
Maybe it needs a bit of pedal input to maintain speed at bottom of hill until it gets to the power level needed for the climb. Time to experiment.

Hi

Note that the CC does not look ahead on how the road inclines or declines, whereas you as a driver normally does. The CC can only react after it senses a decline in speed and I think (speculating) that in the PID regulator (you'll have to look that up:) in the CC you need to changes the PID parameters if you want something that can cope with all varying road conditions. And that requires knowledge of the road caracteristics. I also think that the PID regulutar is not a very advanced regulator in the Mitsu CC. So yes, this annoying behaviour is to be expected.

Steepndeep said:
Hi

Note that the CC does not look ahead on how the road inclines or declines, whereas you as a driver normally does. The CC can only react after it senses a decline in speed and I think (speculating) that in the PID regulator (you'll have to look that up:) in the CC you need to changes the PID parameters if you want something that can cope with all varying road conditions. And that requires knowledge of the road caracteristics. I also think that the PID regulutar is not a very advanced regulator in the Mitsu CC. So yes, this annoying behaviour is to be expected.
Indeed, had to look it up ;-)

My experience is that the PHEV CC manages to maintain a (very) constant maintain speed much better than any CC is have used before. I have contributed this to the e-motors being able to respond to changed input (power demand) much faster than an ICE ever could. In my opinion, it performs better than other cars in parallel mode as well, caused by the fact that it does not maintain speed by varying throttle input but by varying generator output, again an electronically controlled process.

Have to say, this is mainly based on flat road experiences, but I fail to see why it should be any different in a hilly environment. Maybe the fact that a human driver manages without the ICE where the CC does not is caused by the human driver not maintaining a constant speed rather than the CC not maintaining a constant speed :idea:

I'd agree on the CC characteristics being pretty good most of the time. I think like a number of things with this car you have to adapt your driving a bit to get the best out of it.

Still considering the Vtech box....

Back