What to expect when i get home?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g0rsq

I am currently on holiday in the philippines :cool: , but that's not the problem :mrgreen:

I parked my 2016 phev at the airport, but forgot to turn off pre-heating!

It will be parked for three weeks.

I presume the main battery will be flat, but what should I expect from the smaller 12v battery? Will my car start?

If I need to jump start it I note it is in the boot area, but only the +ve terminal is visible. What should I use for -ve connection?

Thanks

Only 10days of 35+ (95) deg temps to endure on the beach :mrgreen:

Peter

Well, it would not be going anywhere with a flat main battery and jumping the 12v battery will do nothing to help. The main battery is hundreds of volts and not jumpable - it would need to be charged for a couple of hours from a 240v mains socket.

In practice, I think it will probably have protected itself and cancelled the pre-heating as soon as the main battery dropped below a safe threshold, so I think you will get going, but run on Charge for a while to bring it back up above minimum.

g0rsq said:
............................what should I expect from the smaller 12v battery? Will my car start?

If I need to jump start it I note it is in the boot area, but only the +ve terminal is visible. What should I use for -ve connection?

Peter

Some reading for the beach;

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2411

Snowing in Derbyshire!

JimB

I assumed that the pre-heating would automatically cancel itself if it detected that there was insufficient power in the main battery ? In the app, if you select 20 minutes of pre-heating, I’m sure it warns you that you might not actually get 20 minutes if the battery capacity is not sufficient ?

Even if both the main traction battery and the 12v battery were to go flat, can’t you still jump start the car and use that power to start the ICE ? Appreciate you will still have no power in the main battery, but surely that’s the advantage of having a traditional ICE as well, unlike a full EV car which really would be stuck until the main battery can be recharged ?

g0rsq said:
I am currently on holiday in the philippines :cool: , but that's not the problem :mrgreen:

I parked my 2016 phev at the airport, but forgot to turn off pre-heating!

It will be parked for three weeks.

I presume the main battery will be flat, but what should I expect from the smaller 12v battery? Will my car start?

Thanks

Peter

I think you will find it will be fine. I have had a few that have had to be jump started and it can be done by pressing start button and charge at same time, might take a couple of attempts but have done it this way. We use a jump pack straight into the fuse board though and need to know what your doing so recommend the breakdown services first. :roll:

geoffshep69 said:
I assumed that the pre-heating would automatically cancel itself if it detected that there was insufficient power in the main battery ? In the app, if you select 20 minutes of pre-heating, I’m sure it warns you that you might not actually get 20 minutes if the battery capacity is not sufficient ?

Even if both the main traction battery and the 12v battery were to go flat, can’t you still jump start the car and use that power to start the ICE ? Appreciate you will still have no power in the main battery, but surely that’s the advantage of having a traditional ICE as well, unlike a full EV car which really would be stuck until the main battery can be recharged ?

Trouble is that the PHEV does not have a starter motor in the conventional sense - it uses the generator as the starter motor and that is a high voltage unit - jumping the 12v battery will not turn it. If you genuinely flatten the traction battery, there is no choice other than applying 240v mains through the charging cable for half an hour or more. That said, flattening the traction battery to that extent is a bad idea and could do permanent damage.

I thought the main battery never fell below about 30% charge to protect itself, so there should be enough in the battery to start the engine.
However, if the aux battery has gone flat then it will need to be jumped to be able to start the control systems that initiate starting the engine by using the jump lead connections under the bonnet.

Mine was fine when we returned from two weeks in St Lucia but I don't and never have used preheat at all! :lol:

Snowing in Derbyshire....... that makes me feel much better knowing my PHEV will possibly be dead when I get home!

Thanks for the information, at least I am prepared for the problem now.

Peter

Well

I am back home now to the freezing cold 24 degC weather!

Happy to report absolutely no problems when picking up the PHEV after 3 weeks and 1 day parked (after parking with low charge and leaving pre-heaters turned on and active!).

Charge indicator showed no bars, but everything started as it should. Straight into "Charge Mode" for a few minutes, then drove in normal mode.

Regards

Peter

Back