What would make you upgrade?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On your figures Maby this could be my first and last Mitsy :shock:

2013 I lost £13k over 3 years on a MY10 Range Rover Sport HSE lemon which I thought was bad enough but it cost me another £21k to upgrade to a fully loaded MY13 HSE Black Edition even with a £6k discount - I lost £18k on this when I downsized to a MY16 Discovery Sport HSE after 2 years - I then lost £4k over 9 months (helped by £2.5k discount and waiting list) swapping for the PHEV but it cost me nothing to change thanks to a big discount

I'm tired of losing money on vehicles hence the 3-5 year plan if it's reliable - depreciation appears to be getting worse IMHO because new prices are now too high thanks to finance assistance and then corrected on used vehicles - I don't plan to buy new again unless there is a big discount incentive like this time :?

Ours is a relatively high mileage by PHEV standards - two and a half years old and approaching 30,000 miles - you may get a better second hand value if you are more moderate....

Depreciation is pretty steep on any new car. According to 'What Car?' this month (Feb 2017), the Nissan LEAF is the fastest depreciating car in the UK (over three years), although I doubt their figures are completely accurate.
I paid full price for my PHEV as it was one of the first in the UK, so I will have lost around £16-17K if I sell it after three years. But I plan to hang on to it quite a bit longer. I was hoping it would see me through to a new Model 3 (Tesla), but I reckon that's likely to be late 2019 into 2020 now (I haven't put a deposit down yet), and so I'm not sure if I can wait that long!
I saw the MY17 PHEV in the showroom the other day (mine was having a handbrake issue sorted under warranty) - looked good and the EV button should make a big difference. Wouldn't go back to a ICE-only car now under any circumstances. Getting in to a warm car this morning after a bit of snow overnight makes a huge difference to me. Might be tempted by an Ioniq PHEV when it comes out later this year though....

ChrisMiller said:
Obviously because if it was 2400W, you could then plug the car charger in and get perpetual motion :)

Lol :D

Everyone assumes a powerpoint in their EV is superfluous until they are in the middle of a natural (or not so natural) disaster. I had power out for 4 days only a year ago after a massive storm, and I gather the tsunami & meltdown in Japan was a wake up call for EV manufacturers to open up access to their batteries. Fortunately I had a petrol generator could drive the PHEV on petrol as my iMiEV was no use during the extended outage.
Unfortunately you can't just put a 1500W inverter on the 12V battery in the PHEV as the PHEV only charges the 12V once a day, so if you are drawing 1500W the 12V PHEV battery will be long dead before it gets recharged from the drive battery.

zzcoopej said:
ChrisMiller said:
Obviously because if it was 2400W, you could then plug the car charger in and get perpetual motion :)

Everyone assumes a powerpoint in their EV is superfluous until they are in the middle of a natural (or not so natural) disaster. I had power out for 4 days only a year ago after a massive storm, and I gather the tsunami & meltdown in Japan was a wake up call for EV manufacturers to open up access to their batteries. Fortunately I had a petrol generator could drive the PHEV on petrol as my iMiEV was no use during the extended outage.
Unfortunately you can't just put a 1500W inverter on the 12V battery in the PHEV as the PHEV only charges the 12V once a day, so if you are drawing 1500W the 12V PHEV battery will be long dead before it gets recharged from the drive battery.

Why not ?

Just keep the car "on" with gear "P" ,,, and it will continuously charge the 12V battery from the 300V battery pack.

Question is only how much is powerful the 12V LeadAcid battery "charger" on PHEV ... but I think somebody was testing this out already ... so possibly 1500w are sustainable ..

I don't believe the new PHEV does generate 240V 1500W from the 300V battery pack ... most probably it is a standard 12V inverter (which are very cheap and easy to source), with the only modification to have more frequent check and recharge of the 12V battery

zzcoopej said:
ChrisMiller said:

1500W at 12v is over 100A - your problem will be smoke from the wiring loom long before the 12v battery is flat!

zzcoopej said:
My money is on the PHEV 1500W power outlet being based on this - http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/corporate/2012/news/detail0834.html
which specifically says "is capable of supplying up to 1500 watts of AC electricity from the power stored in the vehicle's drive battery."

At a 2nd thought ... I guess you may be right.

So .. it is looking a device to be plug on the chademo port ... so potentially can work on current PHEV too ... unless some firmware is needed for allow reverse current on the fast charging port.

Per the photo, it is looking more "bulky"/"fat" then a normal 12V 1500W inverter

Anyhow something useless for my house and for my usage even on exceptional event.

I don't see how I could plug in my home fridge and freezer in case of black out (I would need to dissemble some kitchen panel, and ran cables over windows to the garden :? ) ... that is actually the only issue that I have in these type of event ... which are extremely rare in the "old" Europe (I have been living in 4 different countries and power outage can happen .. but most of the time is few seconds .. only once every few years few hours)

maby said:
1500W at 12v is over 100A - your problem will be smoke from the wiring loom long before the 12v battery is flat!

LOL

Can be used short fat cables directly connected on the 12V battery on the trunk ... not a big issue ;)

Only question is if the 12V charge in the PHEV is capable to provide 100A .... but if I recall right somebody in this forum was trying this already on his own PHEV ... and the result was that 1kw or 1.5kw are feasible with a 12v inverter ...

Back