When to fill the fuel tank?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollycat

Given that there doesn't seem to be a single reading (that we've found) that tells you how many miles are left in the tank, is there a general concensus on how many miles folks have when they fill up?

As the miles on electric are so variable, I usually bottle out when it says ~ 50 miles left, which is when I used to refill my diesel car. Any idea when the alert comes on?

I generally refill at about half full - because my primary trip of the week is on motorway with few service areas and can use more than half a tank. We are usually travelling with our cat and he gets restless if I stop for fuel! :D

It gives the "low fuel" alarm from the moment that about 7 litres (two gallons?) are left in the fuel tank. So I usually only start looking for a petrol station when I get the alarm. Filling up everytime when the tank is still about half full, will result in an average of 20 kgs extra weight (decreasing mileage), more stops and it will take more time.

Pancake said:
It gives the "low fuel" alarm from the moment that about 7 litres (two gallons?) are left in the fuel tank. So I usually only start looking for a petrol station when I get the alarm. Filling up everytime when the tank is still about half full, will result in an average of 20 kgs extra weight (decreasing mileage), more stops and it will take more time.

Running out takes even longer! :D

Seriously, I am talking about long motorway runs - I will happily let it run lower around town, but I generally try to join the motorway with enough to get to the other end without having to stop.

I performed a drive to empty petrol tank once.took over 45L to refuel. Once the low fuel warning operated my PHEV was driven for over 150km. The battery had emptied prior to the low fuel warning. Made a big difference to my petrol range anxiety.

gwatpe said:
I performed a drive to empty petrol tank once.took over 45L to refuel. Once the low fuel warning operated my PHEV was driven for over 150km. The battery had emptied prior to the low fuel warning. Made a big difference to my petrol range anxiety.
No less than 150 km on 'reserve' with no battery charge? That is amazing. To my knowledge, 'reserve' is 9 liters (first warning) and 5 liters (second warning). This would translate to 1 l / 16.6 km or 6 l /100 km.

anko said:
gwatpe said:
No less than 150 km on 'reserve' with no battery charge? That is amazing. To my knowledge, 'reserve' is 9 liters (first warning) and 5 liters (second warning). This would translate to 1 l / 16.6 km or 6 l /100 km.

I drove 15 miles after my first warning and brimmed the tank with 38.22 litres, so it seems to confirm your assumptions, Anko.

anko said:
gwatpe said:
my car is a bit more panicky than that. I have an impression that it warns well before ten liters.

I normal refill and get 37.5 to 38 litres in because I am nearly always in range of work or home charger. Driven for a week or 2 with it flashing furiously at me to fill up. Sounds like i could be braver though?

I fill it up when I am tired of the messages on the dash appearing. I like a clean look. Stale fuel sloshing around in the tank is a good reason to use a bit up and put some fresh in.

anko said:
gwatpe said:

This was a controlled test, and not a highway speed test. If you are low on fuel, the best way to run out early is to continue at the same pace. The PHEV is quite economical at 60kph.

Ollycat said:
Given that there doesn't seem to be a single reading (that we've found) that tells you how many miles are left in the tank....

Do you not have the touchscreen on your model? On mine there is a screen that shows petrol miles and petrol+EV

I have found that when it gets down to 30-32miles left on the range indicator it then goes to Zero.

Any model can display miles left by simply pressing the Information screen button (located in UK, down on the right side of the dash) until you get to that bit of info.

The dash display shows the same as the MMCS "--.--". My empty petrol tank test achieved the km driven after this was displayed. The tank had a lot more to give when the computer and the gauge showed none.

different settings show different values. Never use miles, but km is OK. If I think I might need all the tank, I reset a trip meter and count up to around 100 and I know the tank is very close to really empty.

When the ICE does not power up anymore than the fuel tank is definitely empty :) I had the experience a week ago, 5 km left on the EV and this horrible SatNav was not able to tell me the closest petrol station! I was always asked to enter a 'City' and a petrol brand :geek: May be I did something wrong, but definitely this Satnav is not UX (user friendliness) compliant...

I reached the petrol station with 1km of EV remaining, scary...

JKL said:
When the ICE does not power up anymore than the fuel tank is definitely empty :) I had the experience a week ago, 5 km left on the EV and this horrible SatNav was not able to tell me the closest petrol station! I was always asked to enter a 'City' and a petrol brand :geek: May be I did something wrong, but definitely this Satnav is not UX (user friendliness) compliant...

I reached the petrol station with 1km of EV remaining, scary...

This is not quite as bad as it seems. The PHEV will only let the ICE continue to empty the petrol to really empty, once the battery has been emptied as well. I have confirmed this twice now with testing. I had thought the petrol tank was lower capacity than specified. When you refilled above, you would have only replaced about 38L, and not the 45+L like when the tank is really empty.

This is how my AUS shipped PHEV works, and others in the EU have posted similar results.

Indeed. At some pont, the ICE will no longer start, not even when you hit Charge. You are forced to use up battery power. When that is doen, the ICE will start again. Until petrol is really empty. Then you are stuck. Two exceptions to this rule are:

- High power demand
- (High) heat demand

For this the ICE will start.

Just a small remark I forgot, I tried 'SAVE' and 'CHARGE' but in both cases the ICE did not fire up... Is this behaviour due to the reason you invoke ?

Edit: Previous post from anko is a reply to my question...

Back