WiFi Kills Apps

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phevourite

When I first came across this I thought that everyone would know about it but I have searched and found no refernce to the issue. We have both Apple and Android phones. When using the Chargemaster Polar Instant app on either (in the UK) near the car it does not work. This is because when we are near the car then the phone connects to the Outlander's WiFi. As far as I can see it attempts to route all communication through that WiFi - expecting it to be connected to the Internet. Of course the car is not connected and so the apps fail to link to the Polar system. The only solution I have found is to turn WiFi off on the phone, use the app, then remember to turn WiFi back on again afterwards. Does anyone know a better work-around?

All phones tend to connect to the strongest known wi-fi point, that is the what they are designed to do although you can normally indicate a preference by not setting some to 'connect autoatically'

On apple phones if you are not in reach of an internet enabled wi-fi then if you switch on wi-fi assist it will also use mobile data without needing you to disconnect when it fails to get a route through the car's wi-fi point but you need to watch as it will do the same when connected to any slow broadband as well

raymie said:
All phones tend to connect to the strongest known wi-fi point, that is the what they are designed to do although you can normally indicate a preference by not setting some to 'connect autoatically'

On apple phones if you are not in reach of an internet enabled wi-fi then if you switch on wi-fi assist it will also use mobile data without needing you to disconnect when it fails to get a route through the car's wi-fi point but you need to watch as it will do the same when connected to any slow broadband as well

That is useful to know Raymie. I will give it a try.

Phevourite said:
raymie said:

That is useful to know Raymie. I will give it a try.

Oh dear couldn't I have guessed that... WiFi assist is not available on all Apple phones and guess what; it is not available on the one I am trying to get to work - which is an iPhone 4s. So huge thanks for the suggestion Raymie but I'm afraid I can't test it and if it does work at all then it certainly won't in this case. Darn.

Easily fixed for iPhone:

Connect to the REMOTE network
Go to WiFi settings and lookup info for the connection.
Write down IP address and subnet mask.
Then change the connection type from DHCP to manual.
Enter there IP address and the subnet mask, but leave Router and DNS empty.

For Android:

I believe there is a setting somewhere, that tells the phone to use mobile data whenever the WiFi is connected but does not provide proper internet access. Anybody to clarify?

BTW: I am very interested in the exact details of Android solution myself, as I have a similar issue with Torque Pro running on an Android device and talking to a WiFi OBDII adapter.

It works okay, but more or less frequent a DNS Standard Query is sent by (an app running on) the phone to the OBDII Adapter. This DNS request cannot be resolved by the OBDII adapter (as it also could also not be resolved by the REMOTE network) and blocks further communication between the phone and the adapter for 1000 mscec. This causes Torque Pro to become inpatient and send reminders to the adpater. The adapter doesn't understand why it receives reminders and returns a "don't understand" message and Torque Pro then believes the adapter is faulty.

Although it is a somewhat different scenario than the one Phevourite describes, I think it may have the same solution. Making the phone understand it should not use the WiFi channel for connections to the internet. So any suggestions are appreciated.

anko said:
Easily fixed for iPhone:

For Android:

I believe there is a setting somewhere, that tells the phone to use mobile data whenever the WiFi is connected but does not provide proper internet access. Anybody to clarify?

Thanks for the advice Anko. I am going to have to try this method now and get back to you.

For Android

Possibly not what you want, but if you want to keep off the cars wi-fi totally then this app is meant to do that (switched off wi-fi when no route to internet)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nLabs.internetconnectivity&hl=en

anko said:
Easily fixed for iPhone:

For Android:

I have Android 5.1, and you need to go into:

Settings
Wi-Fi
tap the 3 dots menu icon
Advanced
And you should see an option for ‘Auto Switch to Mobile Network’.
Bear in mind though that this will only switch to mobile data when the Wi-Fi signal itself is weak – if you are connected to a strong Wi-Fi point, but that access point does not provide internet connectivity, then I don’t think this setting will be of any help.

raymie said:
For Android

Possibly not what you want, but if you want to keep off the cars wi-fi totally then this app is meant to do that (switched off wi-fi when no route to internet)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nLabs.internetconnectivity&hl=en

I havent got my PHEV yet, but that app is tremendous, thanks for the suggestion. I use Wi-FI at work, but every few hours it needs my username and password to be re-entered which means that internet connectivity drops even though I am still connected to the W-Fi. That app is exactly what I needed to solve the problem, and I can see why it would work with the PHEV as well.

However, if you do want to to connect to the PHEV's Wi-Fi (eg to pre-heat) presume you'd need to deactivate that app, otherwise it will detect no internet connectivity on the Wi-Fi connection and will disconnect it ?

On iphone look for 'wifi priority' in the app store. Its free (or was) and lets you disable auto-join for any named wifi network.

Once setup your phone will no longer connect to the phev unless you ask it to.
This also fixes the problem with bluetooth not working when wifi connection is active.

anko said:
Easily fixed for iPhone:

For Android:

If you do this the router is likely to give the address to another device causing one or both devices to lose network connectivity.

You need to use an address that's outside the scope of the routers DHCP server, but on the same network.

Another easy solution i used for Android at one stage.

Get a RFID tag, program it using 'tagger' and stick it in the car. Have it set to turn wi-fi on and off when tapped against the phone. tap when you get in, tap when you get out, problem solved

For Android I use "AutomateIT". Whenever I enter my car and hook up to Bluetooth, wifi is turned off. And then when I leave my car the Bluetooth connection drops and wifi is turned on again. Works like a charm. Thanks "Manor" for the tip.
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19277#p19277

In your house? I thought we were taking about issues with BT in the car :mrgreen:

But seriously, 10 devices connected to your REMOTE network??? No point in asking why, I guess. I actually thought you could only pair 5 devices on the app level.

But if you have issues with 10 devices, I would think the only easier resolve would be to totally remove the REMOTE network.

anko said:
In your house? I thought we were taking about issues with BT in the car :mrgreen:

But seriously, 10 devices connected to your REMOTE network??? No point in asking why, I guess. I actually thought you could only pair 5 devices on the app level.

But if you have issues with 10 devices, I would think the only easier resolve would be to totally remove the REMOTE network.

OOPS, didn't read the whole topic properly. How embarrassing! :oops:

I think only 2 devices can use the app for each car. :)

Back