Will the drive battery discharge to zero if removed from the vehicle or without auy 12V?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello forum,

I am passively looking for a used 2019ff drive battery.

From another of our electric vehicles (the Smart EQ), I read that if the aux 12V bat is removed from the car, the traction pack will discharge completely (rendering it useless) within a few weeks. This may be a safety measure.

Anyone knows if this is also the case with the Mitsubishi?

Greets

Hello forum,

I am passively looking for a used 2019ff drive battery.

From another of our electric vehicles (the Smart EQ), I read that if the aux 12V bat is removed from the car, the traction pack will discharge completely (rendering it useless) within a few weeks. This may be a safety measure.

Anyone knows if this is also the case with the Mitsubishi?

Greets
I don't believe the traction battery will die in a few weeks if the vehicle is disabled. It will stay almost at the left level of charge for year... My old phone keep staying at 40% battery when turned of for more than a year.

But better not be left fully charged or discharged. Keep it at 40%-50% SOC

Without the 12V the main contactor will not engage so the battery pack will be isolated from the rest of the car. There is nothing that can discharge the battery except the monitoring signals from the BMS and those are extreme low currents. The battery level will stay the same for ages.

that sounds promising - a few guys had problems with their Smart EQs - a failing aux battery taking the drive battery with it - although the real cause is still in the dark.​
btw: just found an interesting post-2019 traction pack, few kms... The battery enclosure suffered some damage but seller says the cells were not harmed. We will see...​

Batteries will discharge slowly, though the Lithium batteries have much lower self discharging rate. It's just the way how the batteries work. Energizer or Duracells do discharge to non useable after 3-5years.

Back