Winter tyres for snow

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martindale2004

Does any one have any experience of using the 4WD Outlander PHEV in snow? Do you need winter tyres or will normal ones do the job, say for a skiing trip?

Well, in most skiing areas winter tyres are obligatory anyway,
I would not even dream of driving on summer tyres in a skiing area, in fact, even at home in our moderate climate I think winter tyres are essential for safety.
It is not just traction, it is braking and cornering ability. Don't forget you will be trying to control 2000 Kgs on a slippery road, be it from rain, wet leaves, snow or ice.
We had this discussion extensively last year (search this forum). Some think their driving ability can make up for slippery roads. I disagree. If one can control one's car well in bad conditions, one can control it better on proper tyres.

BTW, PHEV on winter tyres on deep snow and a steep slope works perfectly. Mine outperformed some serious 4WDs in those conditions, thanks to the low-speed torque from the electric motors.

Btw. If you get winter tyres, get ones that have been tested and rated highly by an independent institution, like ADAC, AA, etc. There is a similar scandal to VW/Audi coming up regarding the rating of tyres. (or should be coming up, I base this on insider information)

martindale2004 said:
Does any one have any experience of using the 4WD Outlander PHEV in snow? Do you need winter tyres or will normal ones do the job, say for a skiing trip?

Yes I did, in Savoy last year. As jaapv says, PHEV on deep snow and a steep slope works perfectly. And I can add : even with all-seasons tyres (Dunlop ST20 for mine). But I would not recommend it with summer tyres.
Be careful on downhill and curves, of course. The "electric brakes" + 4WD help a lot ;)

Grigou said:
martindale2004 said:

Yes I did, in Savoy last year. As jaapv says, PHEV on deep snow and a steep slope works perfectly. And I can add : even with all-seasons tyres (Dunlop ST20 for mine). But I would not recommend it with summer tyres.
Be careful on downhill and curves, of course. The "electric brakes" + 4WD help a lot ;)

Indeed, downhill and curves needs care, 1800 Kg with 500 Kg of load is a lot of mass to control in slippery conditions ;)
One thing: a longer uphill and snow needs switching off stability control (as per the manual) or you will grind to a stop.
Do your all-season tyres carry a winter rating? The police will check in case of an accident on roads that are limited to winter tyres or chains, and insurance companies use it as an excuse not to pay. (that includes the Autobahn in Southern Germany and Austria, even if it is dry and clean!)

jaapv said:
Grigou said:
martindale2004 said:

Indeed, downhill and curves needs care, 1800 Kg with 500 Kg of load is a lot of mass to control in slippery conditions ;)
One thing: a longer uphill and snow needs switching off stability control (as per the manual) or you will grind to a stop.
Do your all-season tyres carry a winter rating?The police will check in case of an accident on roads that are limited to winter tyres or chains, and insurance companies use it as an excuse not to pay. (that includes the Autobahn in Southern Germany and Austria, even if it is dry and clean!)

No they don't. But in France the law is different, and I don't drive in Germany nor Austria in winter.
In France if you have no winter tyres the police may stop you and ask to put chains, or just verify that you have chains in the car (especially when you drive a SUV ;) ).
It happen generally in the valley (Albertville), thanks God I was already on the top when the snow disturbed the traffic last year.
So for next season I have decided to buy a pair of used snow chains, just to keep them in the car.

Having been stuck for several hours last February in a queue of French drivers (no chains or winter tyres apparently :lol: ) unable to get up a steep incline on the motorway towards Lyon from the mountains. I can confirm that when we finally got to the bottom of the slope ourselves the PHEV with winter tyres went up it without a moment's hesitation weaving round the stranded cars. As I have had neither a 4wd or winter tyres before, I can't comment on which contributed most but I consider the investment in the tyres was paid for in those few minutes :p

This is what I had on:- http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/bridgestone-blizzak-lm80-evo-225-55-r18-98-v-fr#98901325

Go for Dunlop Wintersport 4D.

We have these for our Phev, and couldn't fault them in last winters snow.

Have a look at this video if you any doubts about their ability on snow. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MS-RpTkfgkY

Living in Greenland tires with snow more than half the year, winter tires are important to us:) Thus far I have found that Nokian and Vredestein are the best. For studded tires I have the Hakkapeliitta 8 (https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8/) on my Phev...

KillerBob said:
Living in Greenland tires with snow more than half the year, winter tires are important to us:) Thus far I have found that Nokian and Vredestein are the best. For studded tires I have the Hakkapeliitta 8 (https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8/) on my Phev...

Makes you wish we had real winters in the UK to justify playing with these. :lol:

Visited Greenland this year on a tour of Orkneys. Faroes, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Canada.

I expect you could use the mosquitoes in Greenland as studs on the tyres in winter - they are big and very vicious. We also went out and played with some icebergs - now that was memorable. Chipped the ice off, into a glass, topped up with Vermouth - special.

Rugged and beautiful country . . . . . . in August.

I just changed to the Nokians on Friday, and today we have a few centimeters of snow on the roads. We have always used studded tires as supposed to just winter-tires, mainly because we only clear the roads with bulldozers, and use sand as supposed to salt. Officially the studded tire period is Oct. 1 -> Apr. 30, but this year for instance this period was extended until May 31.

Of course using a Phev here in the cold climate is less effective than elsewhere, but with decent preheating and the short distances in mind, I still managed over 2000km on a tankful of benzine over the fall, but expect that dropping to perhaps 1250km this winter.

If you go with any of the major manufacturers you will be fine.
It all depends on where you live and how you use your car.
Living in Sweden I expect ice on the roads when it is -2 - 0 and go for studded tires. If it is colder studded are not as important.
Winter tires are essential though even if you have 4wd, braking is exactly the same as a 2wd.

Back