Winter Tyres on PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
greendwarf said:
... this is a Japanese car and they live in cities and have a VERY efficient inter-city rail system. I'd put money on the design specification being for a city car with occasional other use :eek:
So, in your opinion every Japanese car is a city car? :shock:

It can safely tow my 1500 kg caravan to the South of France while comfortably carrying my family of four. Indeed, I cannot see it as a city car.

So can lots of ICE cars, more economically (as endlessly recounted here) - what distinguishes the PHEV is combining this ability with a significant EV only (longer than most hybrids) range, which is of little benefit at high speed (also endlessly recounted here) but ideal and/or compulsory for city driving. What we do know about the design brief is that the car was designed for this from the start (even though first launched as a diesel) - that is what makes this a city car. QED :lol:

The fact that non-city users (encouraged by governments ;) ) find it also meets their needs, is why it is the best selling hybrid and one reason why they delayed launch in the US because demand outstripped supply. Car makers often get their plans wrong - the Ford Capri was designed to echo the Mustang and aimed at the niche sports coupe market. Sales far outstripped forecasts as the style created its own market and unexpectedly killed off demand for the Corsair. :oops:

Just about to put my winter set on for their third winter.

I use Vredestein Wintrak 4 Xtremes in exactly the same size as the Toyos. I just go to my local tyre dealer and get them to swap them over onto the existing rims. This is the same I did (with the same tyre) on my Range Rovers before. I think for the Outlander they are about £150 each or thereabouts (can't remember as it will be two years since I bought them!) I store the set I am not using in my garage.

This winter set have done 10,808 miles on my car (I use a logging app called Road Trip) and they have between 6.5mm and 7mm of tread on them (they come with about 9), so will see me through this winter no problem. (For reference, the original Toyos have done 13,359 miles and still have about 6mm on them). The car has just over 24,000 miles on it and will most likely go back to the lease company in January with the winters on when my new car arrives, in which case I'll have a set of part-worn Toyos to sell...

So you could buy a set knowing you will get a good 20,000 miles out of them, add that onto about 20,000 from the Toyos and you have about 40,000 miles out of two sets of tyres.

Not sure why people are obsessed with having a complete set of separate wheels - it costs my £40 a time to get them swapped.

The Vredesteins have amazing grip in UK winter conditions and I would never go through a winter without them.

I agree if I fit winter tyres it will probably be easier put them on existing rims now

I had seperate rims on RR Sports because I could get them cheap used, save cost of swapping, fit smaller rims and keep my bigger summer set in top condition

Concerned how the diamond turned will look after a couple of winters salt exposure

greendwarf said:
anko said:
So, in your opinion every Japanese car is a city car? :shock:

It can safely tow my 1500 kg caravan to the South of France while comfortably carrying my family of four. Indeed, I cannot see it as a city car.

So can lots of ICE cars, more economically (as endlessly recounted here) - what distinguishes the PHEV is combining this ability with a significant EV only (longer than most hybrids) range, which is of little benefit at high speed (also endlessly recounted here) but ideal and/or compulsory for city driving. What we do know about the design brief is that the car was designed for this from the start (even though first launched as a diesel) - that is what makes this a city car. QED :lol:
Almost every car can drive within city limits either. So, the fact the PHEV can do so doesn't mean a whole lot, I understand.

According to the design sheet I have seen the PHEV has a towing capacity of 1500 kg, a feature that works best while towing. It also has 4WD, a feature working best while off-roading. Now, is it the best tow car ever? Surely not. Is it the best of-roader ever? Surely not. But at the same time, is it the best city car ever? Surely not. So, it is as much city car as it is off-roader and tow car. I would say it is a great compromise between various purposes.

To me, all you have proven is that once you have decided to call it a city car, nothing is going to stop you ;) . But the opposite applies to me as well, I guess :lol:

BTW: Have you tried towing economy yourself? You might be surprised.

Hi All,

Just wondering......has anyone used snow socks for cars?.....and are they legal?????....

I'm looking for some 225 55 18 winter tyres for the Phev.
Have spotted some Cooper Weather-Master WSC tyres today. I've never seen them before.
Anyone tried them?

Never tried snow socks btw.
I have always used mud terrain tyres on the Landrovers & loved the Goodyear Duratracs on the Discovery.

Hi.
I have used Snow Socks on my last car, a Honda CRV and I was impressed with them.
The only problem I had was that I stopped at a roundabout nice and easily and the lady behind didn't!!! She slid into the back of me! :eek: They are legal as long as you adhere to the maximum speed given on the Snow Socks information. I have not used any on the Outlander yet.

anko said:
BTW: Have you tried towing economy yourself? You might be surprised.

Unfortunately not - although I have a trailer tent, I don't have a tow bar on mine :? :lol: :roll:

billa said:
Hi All,

Just wondering......has anyone used snow socks for cars?.....and are they legal?????....
If you have winter tyres chances are that you will never need them on the PHEV.

Depends where you use them; they are illegal in areas where carrying snowchains and using winter tyres is mandatory.
Anyway, they are better than summer tyres (over short distances), but not as good as winter tyres.

Just an update - I've given up on second set of wheels and bought a set of Continental TS-850 winter tyres which I'm having fitted on the existing alloys as soon as they arrive

Not sure if I will refit Toyo again for summer or buy a set of premium tyres instead - If I don't refit there may be a set of Toyo available with around 1600 miles use in the near future

These Cooper Weathermaster WSC's have been on the car for about six weeks.
They don't seem to be any noisier than the Toyo's.

Not seen snow yet..................

20161112_140437SMALL.jpg

20161112_140408SMALL.jpg

20161112_140400SMALL.jpg

jaapv said:
I can assure you you haven't ;)

Not least because winter tyres are designed to deal with all road conditions below 7c not just snow & ice - I feel more confident on them in the wet at this time of year. :p

Back