Tyres

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddywheels

I've been running either all season or alternatively summer and winter tyres on all my LRs

I see the phev comes with summer tyres so would appreciate opinions as to their performance - are they likely to be up to a Yorkshire winter or are all season/winter advisable :?

The only all season I've found appear to be Good Year Eagle LS2 in 97 not 98 load though

In summer Conti Cross Contact UHP, in winter Hankook iCept EVO. More than happy. Not very impressed by the Toyos that I drove on replacement PHEV cars from my dealer, although that was just for a few days in all.

I've always bought premium tyres as it was drummed into me every vehicle is only as good as it's tyres

Had the contis on 2010 rrsport and they feathered before 10k miles - also suffered from aquaplaning. Interesting you've found them good - perhaps more suited to phev

I had winter tyres on spare rims when I had contis too but got fed up of 6 monthly changing - went for pirelli scorpions next time for all year but not available in phev size

I've found the original Toyo R37s OK - although when I replaced the rears due to puncture upgraded (?) to their Proxes CF2 SUV tyres and the setup was fine bombing round Ireland in the mist & rain in July. :)

But as I took the car to the Alps during its first winter (2014/15) I thought I'd bow to the on-line wisdom (having never attempted it before) to invest in these - Bridgestone Blizzak LM80 EVO 225/55 R18 98 V FR - and they proved themselves on a snow bound autoroute hill which defeated most of the locals :lol:

Of course, in tropical Sarf Lundun they were only on a matter of weeks when the temp got down to low single figures last winter but I certainly felt more confident on them. Probably most of the time you would get away with Toyos or, better, a premium "all seasons" but you are more likely to get the extreme weather that will defeat even these in Yorkshire. I would trust your previous experience to guide you. Whilst the low centre of gravity helps in in the dry & even the normal wet. its a heavy car if it does start to slide :eek:

The rrsports were the worst vehicle I've owned in winter - we had to use Swmbos Freelander 1 in 2010 during a bad winter and the sport spent most of it in garage on ctek charger after I realised it had 20" summer tyres from factory - I wasn't impressed :roll:

I found 19" wrangler mud and snow improved it following year. 2013 I bought another rrsport which came with 20" all season but still wasn't great so bought 19" winter set but it never snowed bad or was icy for the years I fitted them to see a benefit

Last winter I found Discovery Sport on 19" all season was incredibly good in bad weather - I'm hoping the 18" phev wheels will be as good or better on all season which is my preferred option

More here and the all season Yokohama tyres I have fitted:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2309

Maybe not an answer to your question but a view from me driving regularly in the Swedish mountains in winter.

In Sweden (and I believe all the Nordic countries except Denmark) there are 4 different legal wintertyres;

Studded tyres which I think are illegal in most countries outside Nordics. These are the best tyres in real winter conditions and superior on ice and "packed snow". Packed snow is very common in the north where snow falls in October and does not melt until May. This "snow" is really the same as ice.

All-season tyres. These are legal in both winter and summer but pretty much rubbish in all conditions. You simply cannot have a rubbercompound which is soft and sticky in both summerheat and wintercold. Hence in summerheat the braking distance is appaling and same on ice in winter. There are numerous test in Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish motormagazines confirming this. Some people use them as the only tyres to save money. However in summer due to the soft compound the wear is terrible so I would stay out of that.

"European or continental" winter tyres. In Nordics also called friction tyres. These are engineered for continental europe and optimized for salted roads which are wet and the occasional Snow. Not engineered for really cold (below -20 C) and ice. They are also engineered for high speed on Autobahn. These are available from all manufacturers, even cheap Asian ones. Here tests in motor magazines show an huge difference between premium brands and low price brands. The best tyres from vendors like Continental, Michelin, Good-Year, Bridgestone and Nokian are really good but the rest are usually totally rubbish. In some tests the best tyre have been almost as good as the best in the next category.

The fourth category is called "Nordic Winter Tyres" and are only available in Norway, Finland and Sweden afaik. Maybe Russia, Ukraine and some more norther Asian countries. These tyres are as good as, if not better, than studded tyres in all conditiones except wet ice. As they have a softer compound they are not suited for high speed Autobahn driving.

So unless you really are going to offroad, and then I would not have bought an Outlander PHEV, I would have good summer tyres in summer and excellent premium brand winter tyres in winter. And I would never run on All-season tyres.

Thanks Steepndeep - you make very valid points - I know Nordic LR owners who have said similar things :cool:

In the past I found Freelander and Discovery models were good enough on all season m&s for British weather and off road use

I then bought a Range Rover Sport with continental summer tyres and found due to wide 20" low profile tyres and higher performance it was useless in winter. I tried them in summer and 19" Goodyear wrangler all season in winter and it helped matters greatly

My next RRS came with 20" pirelli scorpions and tried them all year but not as good as the 19" wrangler in winter which I had by then sold

So in the end I used the 20" scorpions in summer as we had a twin axle caravan and stayed on farm sites and felt in wet fields pulling the van they would be best. I bought second set of smaller 19" Continental winter tyres but never really got a bad winter to test them properly - I did venture off road in them once and found them awful

The Discovery Sport has 19" Goodyear wrangler all season M+S and I've found them good enough for everything the weather has thrown at me since December

I suspected the Toyo summer tyres will not be good enough for my needs although my friend thinks they are on his.

My off road/caravan towing days are over for now but I would prefer to have all season set for ease - I don't plan to be pushing the phev to its limits - more interested in economy.

I am looking for an old Series 2 LR as a hobby though :D

So I had decided to fit Good Year Eagle LS2 All season tyres but dealer has informed me against fitting anything but Toyos supplied :shock:

Reading the FAQ on Mitsubishi website -

When replacing tyres, always use tyres of the same brand, tread pattern, size and speed rating. If the vehicle detects a tyre of a different rolling radius (however slight) it will indicate that an EV service is required.

Would appreciate some feedback based on experience before I take the plunge :?

When I first read your post I thought it was complete bullshit as that would be illegal in e.g. Sweden in wintertimes when summertyres are not allowed. But then I think the post is mistranslated from Japanese or whatever. It should probaly read "Always use the exact same tires (blah, blah, blah on all four wheels". I.e. you can step up or down in all parameters (width, profile, diameter, threadpattern etc) if you use the same tyres on all four wheels. The only hinder is that they shall fit the car mechanically, roughly same diameter as original tyres so as not to scratch when turning and also same offset on the wheels. This makes perfect sense as different diameter, especially on same axes, probably would make the "limited slip" function being discussed recently brake or not work. Hence EV failure. Also for the car to sense that all four wheels are of same but "wrong" size would be rather difficult. However sensing that one or more tires are off is easy to meassure.

Yes - I wondered about European owners in colder climates - figured it's another salesman who doesn't know the product - lots of LR dealers are the same :roll:

I've always stuck to recommended sizes in handbook on RRS - usually 20" supplied in summer and smaller 19" alternative for winter - I only ever fitted genuine factory option alloys and premium tyres - never had a problem with insurance or warranty

I haven't got the PHEV yet so no handbook to check recommended sizes but the 18" alloys supplied should suit my needs - never heard of tyre brand restriction - I never mix brands/pattern even if it means replacing all 4 tyres to keep them right though

Interestingly the Toyo is an F on fuel label and the Eagle is a C :?

Fitting a summer tyre on an SUV is a no no for me - I complained to LR when they did it on my brand new RRS (so did many other forum members) and a few years later they all had all season fitted new - I think they listened to the feedback :cool:

Just because there isn't a drive shaft connecting the front and rear axles doesn't mean that there are no issues. It most probably depends on the sensitivity of the software sensing the relative speeds of the axles amongst other parameters.

Muddywheels said:
So I had decided to fit Good Year Eagle LS2 All season tyres but dealer has informed me against fitting anything but Toyos supplied :shock:

Reading the FAQ on Mitsubishi website -

When replacing tyres, always use tyres of the same brand, tread pattern, size and speed rating. If the vehicle detects a tyre of a different rolling radius (however slight) it will indicate that an EV service is required.

Would appreciate some feedback based on experience before I take the plunge :?
Sounds strange to me. I bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV 215/70R16 100T as winter tyres for my car. I really wanted to avoid wide tyres so I went for 215 dimension. I have not had any hickups with EV service or similar. I think you should avoid replacing one single tyre only. Then you may get into this EV service problem.

After much searching the only all season tyre I can find is VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 in correct size but reading reviews it's not great in wet so looks like 2 sets of tyres again. I have bought used alloys in the past for second set and fitted new tyres but can find nothing available for PHEV :(

So I've rang 2 dealers for second set of alloys to avoid swapping tyres/risk of damage and initially told Mitsubishi don't recommend different tyres than fitted until I read the winter tyre advice in the handbook to them - they advised me 16" can't be fitted contrary to handbook and quoted £2674 for second set of 18" alloys without tyres :shock:

After reading 27 pages on another thread I see these on NL website https://shop.mitsubishi-motors.nl/cat/banden?orderby=price&q=%2Fcat%2Fbanden&filter_banden-type=winterbandensets - I prefer the 16" as they are cheaper, less prone to pothole damage and they are listed in the handbook as approved but not sure how I get them :?

My insurer will charge me £25 twice a year to amend my policy unless I fit genuine alloys and tyres recommended in handbook so think this is my best option :cool:

I've had 6 years of this kind of service from LR and hoped for an improved experience - really happy with the PHEV but not the dealer knowledge :evil:

I bought a 2nd set of alloys and some vredstein extreme I think they were called. The wheels were smaller than my factory fitted wheels as listed in handbook. No problem at all and no extra insurance charge.
Cheers
H

Can you share where you got them Hypermiler as I'm struggling in UK and unsure how I get them from NL although it could be a big saving looking at website - maybe a group buy is in order :?

Back