Tyres

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muddywheels said:
Most UK insurers will accept genuine oem wheels and winter tyres without charging additional fees and manufacturers can't deny warranty claims if you fit genuine accessories hence why I don't fit non oem

If I fit non oem my insurer will want at least £25-30 every 6 months to amend my insurance for summer and winter tyres and if like LR then Mitsubishi may say any fault suspension, steering etc related is caused by non oem wheels - basically easier to fit genuine but not at UK prices new

I used to buy smaller used wheels for LR but can't find any for phev in UK and Mitsubishi said I can't fit smaller despite selling them in Europe

Oem or not shouldn't matter...see the ABI guidelines....

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/File...nter tyres The motor insurance commitment.pdf

I have used the ABI guidelines when fitting winter tyres and it's important to note -

As can be seen, often motor insurers will not charge an additional premium when their insured
customers use winter tyres, provided that they meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the
vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition.

This refers to the tyres fitted to existing alloys - it doesn't mention wheels :?

When I contacted my insurer about changing wheels they advised me as long as I fitted genuine wheels available as standard or optional extras there was no issue - if I fitted anything else this didn't satisfy the
meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the
vehicle manufacturers’ specifications
criteria so would be treated as a modification

I also know owners who bought wheels for off road use on LRs and had problems with warranty claims due to modification - no such issue fitting genuine accessories

For my peace of mind and to avoid jobsworths I now only fit genuine accessories where possible

I contacted Mitsubishi NL but they wouldn't help despite UK still being part of EU - I also emailed dealer nr ferry terminal with a view to catching Hull ferry and collecting but they ignored my email

Mitsubishi UK wouldn't help either and advised fitting winter tyres was not recommended despite the handbook saying opposite

In the end I just bought a set of winter tyres and fitted them to original alloys

I will swap tyres in spring for the Toyos unless I buy some premium summer tyres and fit them instead

You should have asked on the forum. My dealer -45 minutes from Hoek van Holland- would have been more than happy to assist.

These have been mentioned earlier in this thread - Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/55 R18 98 V - but no conclusion seemed to be reached.

I'm looking for a single tyre for all seasons and wet/muddy fields and the reviews for this tyre seem pretty good.

Has anyone got any experience of them, or know someone who uses them on Outlander PHEV?

My preference would be Michelin Cross Climate but doesn't look as if they'll ever get round to this size.

JimB

EDIT: Maxxis Escapade CUV CV01 also get very good reviews but can't seem to find them at all in the UK.

I came close to fitting the Quatrac 5 for all season use and saving the hassle of swapping but was put off by some of the negative comments in reviews regarding aquaplaning and weakness in wet

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-5.htm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92867/vredestein-quatrac-5-tyre-review

In the end I decided to go for a set of winter and set of summer which all articles agree is best - cost is a factor but as I've saved some money leaving the LR brand and I figure with a £600 insurance excess if it saves me 1 claim it's money well spent - also I need to be mobile whatever the weather throws at me

Hi Muddywheels. I know you've been investigating tyres since you took ownership of your PHEV. I'm thinking of following your lead by buying a set of winter tyres, so wondered which ones you finally settled on and why? Were any of the all-weather tyres even close in performance in your opinion?

I went for these http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89347/continental-contiwintercontact-ts-850-tyre-review as they appear to be the best available for the phev - there were others with excellent reviews but not available in our size

I had these on previous RR Sport but never fully tested them in severe weather as we had mild winters the 2 years I fitted them

I couldn't find an all season which was as good in summer and winter as separate tyres for each according to reviews

Goodyear wrangler were great on previous LRs but not available in phev size

Thanks Muddywheels. I've just asked my friendly neighbourhood tyre dealer for a quote. Can I ask what price you got for comparison? If my guys competitive I'll post his details here for others to use as well.

Cheers

JSC

Gosh that sounds a lot - think I got alloys with my vredsteins for not much more than that...
But I have a June 2014 car so not got tpms issues to worry about which makes life a bit easier.
H

Having just bought a 2015 PHEV from a Mitsubishi dealer, I had the original Toyo's replaced. They seem to be having a problem getting hold of Toyo's (probably a good thing?) and they have fitted Riken 701 tyres, this is a brand that I have never heard of before, so has anyone got any previous experience or info on them? - edit - They are a budget tyre from Asia made by Michelin, which seem to have been around for a few decades (Riken that is, not Michelin :shock: ), the few reviews that I have found are mostly from the US and a few saying woeful, avoid but some saying that it is an excellent tyre, so anyone's guess.
They are a summer tyre but I will leave some feedback after a few months of winter driving( UK, bit of slush and the occasional frost!) as to grip and wear etc. my initial impression is that they give the same ride and noise level as the Toyo's.

Thank's for the quick reply. :( indeed.
I have been dealing with Nissan UK for my last few cars (not a good experience) and was hoping for a better service from Mitsubishi. They told me that they only fit Toyo's to the PHEV so that is what I was expecting to be fitted :roll: , but I will give the Riken's a chance and see how they go.

To me it appears to be a cheapskate's (not you, the dealer ;)) choice. Personally I refused the car on Toyo's when new and paid a small supplement have it delivered on A-brand tyres. I've never regretted the decision after reading forum discussions on the PHEV Dutch forum about Toyo tyres.

Back