Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australians down under
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:36 pm 

NAPpy wrote:
I just made up a 15A female and 10A male lead to charge ours with no issue on the not used much circuit in the garage. I also made up a 5 pin 415v 32A to 240V 15A lead for those times when that is all you have to charge from.

Cheers

NAPpy

If I were you, I wouldn't declare this information so openly. It might get you in a lot of trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:32 am 

Nice warning. No idea if it makes sense, but if it does it would be best not to quote NAPpy. If he agrees with you, he can change his contribution, but he cannot remove his statement from you reply :geek:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:40 am 

Nothing wrong in what I have done, house circuit is 16 amp but fitted with 10 amp outlets for some strange reason. 32 amp outlet adapter is just using one phase of the 415 volt plug to give 240 volt but still earthed.

Charger for the PHEV draws just under 10 amps, I think 9.8 as someone has previously posted.

Bring it on!

Cheers

NAPpy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 pm 

Yep, less than 10A.

Hey, if you have a look at the new Outlander (non PHEV) on the Australian website, I note that you can now get the MMCS with DAB digital radio! I wonder if there will be an upgrade option for PHEV owners? That was one of the gripes that I had when buying the Outlander PHEV as the top end Prius and Camry Hybrid models have it.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:28 pm 

zzcoopej wrote:
Just thought I'd say hi.
I have a 2010 iMiEV and 2015 PHEV.
Couldn't resist the cheap prices for EV's in Oz at the moment, I guess due to the lower fuel price and the new Outlander coming out later this year.

How is the iMiEV? What are your thoughts? I was driving the PHEV last weekend in Brisbane and passed a blue iMiEV and a blue Leaf all within 100m of each other. (My car is blue as well!). I have half got my wife interested in a Leaf but it may not happen for another year or two. I also agree that prices are cheap here for EVs at the moment. Aussies are such rev heads and stingy.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:47 am 

sawman82 wrote:
Hey, if you have a look at the new Outlander (non PHEV) on the Australian website, I note that you can now get the MMCS with DAB digital radio! I wonder if there will be an upgrade option for PHEV owners? That was one of the gripes that I had when buying the Outlander PHEV as the top end Prius and Camry Hybrid models have it.

My UK spec Phev has DAB as standard, and I thought that would be the norm for all markets? Obviously not.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:24 am 

sawman82 wrote:
How is the iMiEV? What are your thoughts?

The combination of the PHEV & iMiEV are about perfect for our situation (family of 4). One downside is 2 remotes that are almost identical, however I mostly use the door button to lock/unlock so the remote just stays in my pocket. A Leaf might be perfect as it has a bit more range, however we only need >100km every couple of months and it simply involves the occasional top-up charge at home during the day, hardly worth $15k extra in our circumstances. Just means the topup is @22c/kWh rather than 9c off peak.

The iMiEV is very simple compared to the PHEV, both from not having an ICE, and also things like the screen is just radio/nav as it doesn't have any connection to the car's drive computers. Fortunately a OBD dongle and CanIon software allow us to see what's going on inside and get Wh/km etc.

One thing on the iMiEV that should have been transferred onto the PHEV is the ECO mode "lumpy throttle" to stop the ICE kicking in so easily when you are trying to do the trip on EV only.

By the way, my PHEV has a bug calculating kWh/100km, its hopelessly wrong most of the time (eg MMCS reports the manual average is about 7kWh/100km when it should be around 20). Has anyone found that is fixed with an upgrade or something?

Cheers, J.
http://www.EvPositive.com
2010 iMiEV, 2015 Outlander PHEV
PHEV App EvBatMon -
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.EvPositive.EvBatMon
iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evbatmon-for-mitsubishi-outlander/id1143901805

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:44 am 

zzcoopej wrote:
By the way, my PHEV has a bug calculating kWh/100km, its hopelessly wrong most of the time (eg MMCS reports the manual average is about 7kWh/100km when it should be around 20). Has anyone found that is fixed with an upgrade or something?

The MMCS has bugs galore in the calculation department. The ICE operation seems to be a major contributor.

I feel that the attempts to perform calculations with simultaneous data from multiple power systems has screwed things up. The car would be better to only display EV data in pure EV mode. Don't think there is a simple solution to calcs with simultaneous EV and ICE operation.

Make the GRID your friend.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 am 

Unfortunately the Australian government didn't fully commit (or mandate) to a DAB rollout so not many manufacturers jumped on board. Sad really.

Thanks for all the info on the iMiEV. Sounds like a really cool little unit. I hope they are still around by the time my wife will let me buy here one! I totally agree on the bugs in the MMCS. My wife is always asking me what those figures mean and I can't even explain it to her because they keep jumping around too much. I also agree that the unknown variable (ICE kickin) is to blame.

Would be nice if it could display the charging cost graphs properly. A lot of the features are just too hard to get to and I always forget how to find them. Should I push the "Settings", "Nav", etc button...... where the heck is that thing I'm looking for. Then you end up finding it by pushing random things on the map or display. Then by the next time you need it you have forgotten again!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 pm 

The difficulty with navigating the MMCS defeats the purpose of disabling most of it when the car is moving. We humans are inquisitive and will continue to push and prod buttons, even if it means taking our eyes off the road to keep pressing a button that is disabled.. Far better to just provide a logical system that works intuitively so that task does not interfere with driving the car.

Make the GRID your friend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next