Yippee

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentishSteve

Hi gang I been lurking around for a few weeks now but today I joined to be a member ;) little background I've been a Discovery 4 / RangeRover Sport user for about 5 years but recently I've changed my ways in life I become a vegetarian over the last year and been mindful on energy use so been a led mad householder for the last 2 years and taking note more about my use on energy / fuel etc, so in the last few months the big high diesel use motors have been replaced to more friendly vehicles, 1st is the new C Class AMG Line which is loads less then my previous cars road tax next year is only £30, I gone for this to break me in gently :) now for the other car the gx3h is perfect for all the round the towns activity,the Merc for runs to London and back etc where the mitsubishi will not be as good due to distance from my place in Folkestone, gx3h is perfect because no need for the toys example sat nav etc will not be needed due to its only going to be in and around a 10-25 mile radius when needed on most days and can be charged overnight with ease at my place but I still have a big vehicle for the dog runs / going to the tip / also moving & taking stuff from my stables land located away from my home which is 6 miles away.

I have been really looking into chargers I'm going for a Rolec Charge unit after changing my mind on a charge master 16A unit for the Rolec 32A 7.2KW Type 1 tethered, I been informed by Rolec their units automatically switch from 32A down to 16A so need to worry on that note best bit it's "free of charge" get in :) I like the idea of having the versatility if needed in the future? also I like the look of the units "I'm sad like that" he!he! The company I'm dealing with via Rolec is (the little green energy company) based in Kent, I should get a future fitting date confirmed in the next week or so, hopefully it's before the 28th November but it's not the end of the world if it rolls a little longer, beggars can't be choosers it's Free :lol:

So yeah hello from Steve :D

Hi there and welcome - hope you enjoy the car!

I think the message you are getting from Rolec is a bit misleading - there really isn't a concept of the charging point "switching down from 32A to 16A" - all the charging functionality is in the car. The box on your wall is really just a socket that includes some protection circuitry and some simple electronics that tell the connected vehicle what maximum current it is allowed to draw. Your charging point may offer 32A, but the Outlander will never take more than 16.

Hi
Oops that was my way of seeing it so it's not Rolec's error but mine, so I take that on the chin,the guys actual words is "go for the bigger unit because it may help to future proof yourself and it's free unit now where previously it was not free" I know it's not guaranteed to future proof but you never know, thanks for the welcome as you can see I have lots to learn still :!: Regards Steve :)

I think you'll find that the 32A unit will cost you a few quid. The subsidy was only ever for a 16A unit and even that subsidy has now been reduced. Most of the installers seem to have been willing to cut their profit margin and continue to offer a 16A unit free of charge, but people seem to be paying a premium of between £50 and £100 for the 32A unit. I guess a lot depends on your car purchasing habits - we tend to run a car for upwards of 10 years and will not be buying another electric car in that period, hence we went for the 16A unit - it would be somewhat surprising if it lasted 10 years, so I saw no point in paying a premium for capacity that we would never use. if you expect to change your car in the next three or four years, then the 32A device can be considered future-proofing.

maddogsetc said:
Hi Steve, welcome to the Disco/RR converts club :D

Yay I'm not alone ;) I hope we don't use the same land rover dealer? Where have them two gone he!he! , I'm really looking forward to this PHEV ;)

Regards Steve

maddogsetc said:
Hi Steve, welcome to the Disco/RR converts club :D

Ah, we still have the Landcruiser - just doing fewer miles in it. It is so old now that its secondhand value would be minimal, so we are keeping it for lugging really heavy loads or those times when we need a real off-roader...

We brought it to the boat this weekend to pick up the windsurfer and there is still a certain pleasure in that hungry, throaty slurp!

maby said:
I think you'll find that the 32A unit will cost you a few quid. The subsidy was only ever for a 16A unit and even that subsidy has now been reduced. Most of the installers seem to have been willing to cut their profit margin and continue to offer a 16A unit free of charge, but people seem to be paying a premium of between £50 and £100 for the 32A unit. I guess a lot depends on your car purchasing habits - we tend to run a car for upwards of 10 years and will not be buying another electric car in that period, hence we went for the 16A unit - it would be somewhat surprising if it lasted 10 years, so I saw no point in paying a premium for capacity that we would never use. if you expect to change your car in the next three or four years, then the 32A device can be considered future-proofing.

Hi Maby it's 100% free here is some info below its only come free in the last few weeks

http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/product/free-ev-home-charging-points

FREE EV HOME CHARGING POINTS
STILL FREE*
Rolec EV is still offering - in association with the OLEV domestic chargepoint grant scheme- FREE home charging points until March 2015 or funds run out.
• 16A 5m Type 1 (J1772) Tethered Lead : FREE
• 16A 5m Type 2 (IEC62196) Tethered Lead : FREE
• 16A Type 2 (IEC62196) Charging Socket : FREE
And now, for the first time:
• 32A 5m Type 1 (J1772) Tethered Lead : FREE
• 32A 5m Type 2 (IEC62196) Tethered Lead : FREE
• 32A Type 2 (IEC62196) Charging Socket : FREE
This Offer Includes:
• Rolec WallPod EV : HomeCharge unit
• GPRS modem data package (3 years)
• Full installation including materials**
• Test and certification

Ah, that is good - don't think the other suppliers are offering 32A free.

maby said:
Ah, that is good - don't think the other suppliers are offering 32A free.
Hi Maby makes you wonder if other manufacturers will respond to this and do the same? One thing to note chargemasters 16A units cable run is 20 metres max to consumer unit before excess cable charge applys where Rolec is 10 metres max before excess charge applys on 16A + 32A units,lucky for me mine should be less then 8 metres

Ah, we still have the Landcruiser - just doing fewer miles in it. It is so old now that its secondhand value would be minimal, so we are keeping it for lugging really heavy loads or those times when we need a real off-roader...
I'd have given serious thought to keeping my Disco but for the £500 / a year road tax (and the likelihood that it's going to get steeper still in future years). But TBH I was offered 25% of my original purchase price after 8 years and 110k miles so it made no sense to keep it.

Hi Steve and welcome from another newbie. I was researching home chargers this weekend and also spotted the Rolec offer of free install on the 32Amp unit and put my call in today. Just waiting for their local fitter to contact me but not sure who that will be in Hampshire.

Also waiting for dealer to confirm delivery of my Atlantic Grey 3h that seems to be sitting at Portbury Docks but they're in no hurry to get it down to me. Still hoping for this week ;)

Dave

Hi all, hope you get your car soon Davec. I picked mine up today :) ...it's worth the wait! Great car to drive. I've also gone for the Rolec 32Amp (un-tethered) unit, being fitted tomorrow. I'm sure I'll miss a few of the extras not on the 3h but not enough to take away from drifting along in this lump of tech. Nice and easy to pop a usb stick in and get the sounds going. The speakers sound great, big plus for me :p Just did my first sneaky charge on a normal 3 pin socket, worked fine so full charge for tomorrow!!

Great to get all the info on here, helped a lot.

maddogsetc said:
I'd have given serious thought to keeping my Disco but for the £500 / a year road tax (and the likelihood that it's going to get steeper still in future years). But TBH I was offered 25% of my original purchase price after 8 years and 110k miles so it made no sense to keep it.

Ah, our Landcruiser predates the big road tax hikes - there are two classes of gas guzzler - those first registered before about 2000 and those registered after that date - the former are still taxed on the old regime.

davec said:
Hi Steve and welcome from another newbie. I was researching home chargers this weekend and also spotted the Rolec offer of free install on the 32Amp unit and put my call in today. Just waiting for their local fitter to contact me but not sure who that will be in Hampshire.

Also waiting for dealer to confirm delivery of my Atlantic Grey 3h that seems to be sitting at Portbury Docks but they're in no hurry to get it down to me. Still hoping for this week ;)

Dave

Hi Dave I'm like you getting upbeat trying out my new PHEV, I know mine is next month but it's still exciting ;)

Steve

Paddlepower said:
Hi all, hope you get your car soon Davec. I picked mine up today :) ...it's worth the wait! Great car to drive. I've also gone for the Rolec 32Amp (un-tethered) unit, being fitted tomorrow. I'm sure I'll miss a few of the extras not on the 3h but not enough to take away from drifting along in this lump of tech. Nice and easy to pop a usb stick in and get the sounds going. The speakers sound great, big plus for me :p Just did my first sneaky charge on a normal 3 pin socket, worked fine so full charge for tomorrow!!

Great to get all the info on here, helped a lot.

Hi
vey nice! Please let us know how your install goes I be very intrigued ;)

Steve

Apart from the wind nearly blowing the garage door off while talking to the installer I have decided to upgrade our fuse box in the garage. As there is an extra cost to install an ad-on to the existing setup it seemed silly not to replace the very old setup here.

So that's put off the install for a few days but gives me time to work out why the cars electric range showed 27miles after a full charge :?

oh and thanks for the welcome chindley :D

27 miles from a full charge is pretty good - are you complaining or happy?

I just got back from taking my wife to the station - headlights and heating on - I was pleased to see an estimate of 19 miles...

Back