18 months in, 50,000 miles up.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick2b

Just had the 4th service. Came just in the nick of time as the rear wheel bearings were about in meltdown - guess it comes from hauling over 2 tonnes up and down mountain passes every day.
Extended the service to a couple of days (dealer has been exceptional as usual).
So after 18 months, not including servicing, the car has been off the road for about 9 weeks (most of the time for a battery pack replacement). For hard miles on a new model, with new technology, I don't think that is too bad.

I will be doing a similar mileage to you (5300 miles in 8 weeks) and if my car is as poor as yours has been Mitsubishi will be getting a demand for a replacement.

New technology, or not, there is no excuse for your car being off the road for 9 weeks. What level of financial compensation did you demand / receive?

Equally, the service intervals are so regular, why did you allow your dealer take two days to complete a set of standard tasks. I've already had a run in with mine as they feel open hours of 9 to 5 are acceptable. My previous 2 dealers (Ford and Vauxhall) allowed drop off from 7am and collection up until 6.30pm and I see no reason why my Mitsubishi dealer can't do the same, after all it is a company car and they need to accept this - we shall see!

I don't quite follow Mitsubishi being liable for a dealer's behaviour. If you are unhappy, there are plenty of other dealers around.

jaapv said:
I don't quite follow Mitsubishi being liable for a dealer's behaviour. If you are unhappy, there are plenty of other dealers around.

I wish it was that simple as to go to another dealer. How many km would you go to another dealer?

Jaapv, I didn't say that Mitsubishi are responsible for my dealer's behaviour. What I'm saying generally is that the dealership needs to accept the reality of having high mileage business user customers, and this appears to be the problem. I live in the middle of a dealership tri-angle, but all three are around 20 miles from home

jaapv said:

Not in the UK - I have a choice of 2 from Sarf Lundun. :cry: Mitsu have always been a niche market here.

:shock: Sorry, but I am a private owner now retired who owns a GX4h first registered on 31 Dec 2014 which to date has done just over 12,000 miles and had its first service at the 12 month point in January with only 8700 miles. So I am “gobsmacked” that there are drivers like yourself, but company car etc etc, I suppose it should be expected. I therefore see you as a preview into the future on the PHEV’s reliability and Drive Battery pack life. So at my driving rate as a retired country gent doing 10,000 miles annually (I do sometimes let my wife take me in her car), I can expect the drive battery to run out on or soon after the car reaches the end of its 5 year Hybrid drive train and battery pack warranty. Not surprised, so the million dollar question is how much did it cost you to replace the pack? Anything else other than rear axle bearings showing signs of wear and tear at the 50K point?

deskry said:
:shock: Sorry, but I am a private owner now retired who owns a GX4h first registered on 31 Dec 2014 which to date has done just over 12,000 miles and had its first service at the 12 month point in January with only 8700 miles. So I am “gobsmacked” that there are drivers like yourself, but company car etc etc, I suppose it should be expected. I therefore see you as a preview into the future on the PHEV’s reliability and Drive Battery pack life. So at my driving rate as a retired country gent doing 10,000 miles annually (I do sometimes let my wife take me in her car), I can expect the drive battery to run out on or soon after the car reaches the end of its 5 year Hybrid drive train and battery pack warranty. Not surprised, so the million dollar question is how much did it cost you to replace the pack? Anything else other than rear axle bearings showing signs of wear and tear at the 50K point?

I would assume (hope) that the battery failure was down to a manufacturing fault. If the life expectancy is 50,000 miles, then it is disastrous! Actually, to have done 50,000 miles in 18 months, that battery has not really been used very much - I would assume that the car has spent most of its time in parallel hybrid mode - effectively running as a petrol car.

Just checked in and there are a few points to follow up on.
I too have 2 dealers in the area (by that I mean within 40 miles). One, based on antics running up to the first service are a complete joke, the other the total opposite and couldn't be more helpful.
I think that it can only be expected that at launch, dealer PHEV capability was limited and this may have led to increased problem diagnosis times.

The major repair time was the battery pack change. For this, for safety and technical reasons apparently, the car had to be returned to Colt Cars in Bristol. Once there, the cause of the problem needed to be diagnosed and the repair authorised from Japan. All this took some time. I was provided with a suitable 4wd hire car for the duration (albeit from Kia!!).
In response to another query, the work was done under warranty. I wouldn't take my case as an indicator of likely battery life (but I would be careful of driving through deep puddles!!).

A large part of my driving is mountain passes. 250kg of battery hung out over the rear axle on twisty roads has taken it's toll on the wheel bearings here methinks.
Again, I suspect a 'normal use car' would be more durable.
It took the dealer 1.5 days to diagnose and fix the problem and carry out the service. During which time I was provided with a courtesy car.
No complaints here from me.

I suspect that there are few PHEV that have covered my mileage and almost certainly none which have had such a hard life (as I have mentioned previously, I am well into my 3rd full set of tyres).
So, all-in-all, from a reliability and dealership point of view, I'm happy.

Yeah, it must be said, I haven't worn them all out. Some were replaced because of damage and I had a lot of problems with electrical issues (intermittent ABS kicking in and dash board warning lights) from tyre matching which has resulting in good, part-worn tyres being replaced to counter wear discrepancies across the other corners. This would have been a bit of a choker if it wasn't a lease car!

Back