2018 Outlander Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagan15

Hello to everyone in this forum. Just bought a 2018 Phev Outlander this past month and my family and I like the car. Dealing with the dealership is another story. There is only 1 concern I am hoping I can get help with in this forum. When the EV battery is depleted and the cars engine turns on, it seems to really vibrate and there is a lot of smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The car runs fine and is smooth when there is battery but only when it is raining and battery is dead there seems to a lot of smoke. I have asked the dealer and they stated it is normal and it is condensation. For Phev oulander owners is it normal to have excessive smoke and noise from the engine whe the battery is depleted.

Well, my vehicle is much older than yours, and I've never noticed any vibration or smoke.

However, it's quite possible that I've never driven in conditions that you describe as 'rain', where I live we typically only have 'light showers'.

The main difference between the engine running with and without the battery being fully charged is that the engine runs at higher revs when charging. To see if it is just 'condensation' you could try putting the car into charge mode, in your driveway, and check the exhaust on a dry day vs a wet day.

Similarly, if the engine sounds weird, you should probably grab some footage of the engine while it is running in charge mode.

Put a bit of kitchen roll in the 'smoke' stream and see if it really is condensation (clean-ish water) or smoke (black burning oil).

The engine is not particularly refined, and does run at quite high speed in those circumstances to recover battery charge, and startup from cold condensation is pretty normal. In all likelihood you are worrying about nothing and it's just how they all operate (which is different to other vehicles due to the unique architecture and control methods employed).

I hope you are correct and its just normal. The weather has got a lot better this past few weeks and havent seen smoke or any other issue with the outlanderphev. The KM on a full charge are around 45 now and my family and I are enjoying the vehicle.

Mine 2018 PHEV never had smoke during engine started. This is new to me and your dealer must be smoking.

Hello to everyone in this forum. Just bought a 2018 Phev Outlander this past month and my family and I like the car. Dealing with the dealership is another story. There is only 1 concern I am hoping I can get help with in this forum. When the EV battery is depleted and the cars engine turns on, it seems to really vibrate and there is a lot of smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The car runs fine and is smooth when there is battery but only when it is raining and battery is dead there seems to a lot of smoke. I have asked the dealer and they stated it is normal and it is condensation. For Phev oulander owners is it normal to have excessive smoke and noise from the engine whe the battery is depleted.
The "noise" when running the ICE is normally just something to get used to. As there are no gears as such, road speed is dependent on engine revs, so the harder it works e.g. at speed or uphill, the noisier it is. The perception is also made worse because is is so noticeable, after the quiet of EV driving.

The "smoke" may just be condensation. As we no longer know where posters are since they "upgraded" the Forum (Admin please note!) it is difficult to offer advice on such things but if in the UK, we have apparently just had the wettest start to the year on record - so there is a lot of moisture about.

However, if the "smoke" is accompanied by a burning smell then it may well be just road crap and paint burning off the exhaust. If the car has been mainly used in EV since new (or in the period before you bought it) then it will take time to get rid of it all. This was a very common complaint in the early years until we got used to it.

Well, my vehicle is much older than yours, and I've never noticed any vibration or smoke.

However, it's quite possible that I've never driven in conditions that you describe as 'rain', where I live we typically only have 'light showers'.

The main difference between the engine running with and without the battery being fully charged is that the engine runs at higher revs when charging. To see if it is just 'condensation' you could try putting the car into charge mode, in your driveway, and check the exhaust on a dry day vs a wet day.

Similarly, if the engine sounds weird, you should probably grab some footage of the engine while it is running in charge mode.
G'day, Andy - whilst we know you are "down under" and long time users know I am in the UK, it seems difficult offering advice now that the location has disappeared from the poster's profile. Do you know why this changed?

Ian

Sorry mate, I don't.

I only have moderator access rather than admin access.

I'll look around and also ask the admins.

G'day, Andy - whilst we know you are "down under" and long time users know I am in the UK, it seems difficult offering advice now that the location has disappeared from the poster's profile. Do you know why this changed?

Ian

Hiya,

The Tech Admin is looking in to this for you/us.

I can see more 'locations' for users now, previously, I could only see my own.

If you go to your 'Account Details' page, you should be able to see the field where you set location.

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/account/

In this thread I can now see a 'Location' for myself and Yardbird.

:D

Back