2.0L vs 2.4L Electric range and journey cost

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herringfleet

Hi folks,

This is such a useful forum, thanks for all your helpful posts!

I'm in the UK and trying to decide whether to buy a 2017/2018 plate with the 2.0L petrol engine or a 2018/2019 plate with the 2.4L engine (trim level 4h or 4hs).

My primary concern is the electric only range and journey cost for my daily 22 mile (one-way) commute to work, and monthly 284 mile round-trip to see family. At home I'll be charging from a three-pin plug, and at work there are charging points that offer 30p/kWh, which is very similar to my home energy costs. I really want to commute to work and back on battery power alone, hoping that the Outlander has the range to cover 22 miles each way (I understand I'll have to reacharge at work during the day, for the return journey).

I'm trying to understand how the 2.0L and 2.4L Outlanders compare in terms of electric-only range, journey cost and petrol fuel efficiency. I've read that the 2.4L models have a 15% larger battery pack, slightly longer electric-only range, more powerful electric motors, and a more powerful petrol engine that can be run in 'Otto' mode to achieve a similar fuel efficiency to the smaller 2.0L engine. All of which made me think a 2018 2.4L litre model is the one to go for.

My confusion comes when I try to use zap map's journey cost calculator to compare the two, and it tells me the journey cost will be higher for the 2.4L models for the 22 mile journey (15.7p/mile vs 13.3 p/mile). For the longer journey, Looking at the underlying data they have for each, the reason seems to be that the 2.4L models use more electricity per mile, which I guess fits with these models having more powerful electric motors.

But what do you guys think? Which would you buy if running costs were your main concern? Are there other reasons you'd suggest the 2.4L over the 2.0L, or the other way around?

Cheers

I can't comment re the 2.0 as mine's a 2019 4HS so a 2.4L engine, daughter is the same tho a 4H on a 68 plate. Mine shows 22-26 mile range after a full charge according to if I have the AC turned on, which I usually do. Whether you could do your 22 mile trip on electric only will depend on your driving style, speeds etc as if you're keen with the throttle the engine is likely to come in, as it will above a certain speed.

My journeys are either very local so mostly electric or 35-60 miles each way with family trips being 200 mile round trip. Generally with a full battery when I set off I see around 33-36MPG using save when on the motorways so I've some battery when I get into London at the end of the 30 or 60 mile trip. Return leg of course is mostly on petrol since I don't charge at the other end.

Personally I'd say go for the 2.4L model, it's newer in terms of the electronics and entertainment unit. The HS has more features but the 4H has the heated wheel and screen, just not the adaptive cruise, LDW and collision stuff. Perhaps useful to have tho can be annoying with the alerting. Also the SDA will support wired android auto which can be useful for satnav etc.

I have a 2016 4HS - now has 86k miles - I've had the car from new - I have always had between 12 and 18 miles of electric according to the guessometer, reality is probably something similar - depends on whether you have lights and AC on to some extent (I always have these on !) - another point to consider is that the 2016 has zero rated road tax, a 2017 will cost you money, newer ones probably up to £500 a year - the infotainment thingie on the 2016 does not have apple play etc, I have my iPhone on a Brodit holder (check Amazon for these) and use waze on the phone - make sure the Wifi has been updated from 10 digit to 14 digit password, the new app is vastly superior - as always, go for the highest spec you can find - weirdly 2016 had a sunroof, no newer ones have that - hope that helps !

Not sure if the original poster is still here, but I am pretty much in the same boat at the moment and I wondered if you had come to any conclusion?

I have a 2016 4HS - now has 86k miles - I've had the car from new - I have always had between 12 and 18 miles of electric according to the guessometer, reality is probably something similar - depends on whether you have lights and AC on to some extent (I always have these on !) - another point to consider is that the 2016 has zero rated road tax, a 2017 will cost you money, newer ones probably up to £500 a year - the infotainment thingie on the 2016 does not have apple play etc, I have my iPhone on a Brodit holder (check Amazon for these) and use waze on the phone - make sure the Wifi has been updated from 10 digit to 14 digit password, the new app is vastly superior - as always, go for the highest spec you can find - weirdly 2016 had a sunroof, no newer ones have that - hope that helps !
Quite incredible in that I would write exactly the same comments for my 2016 4HS (except 68k miles). The later model I had as a service loan car has heated screen on some models which would save having the engine switch on immediately with the heating on a frosty morning.

As Nick has said, the road tax is something to bear in mind, esp if you opt for the 2.4L 4HS model as that pushes it into the penalty band for the first few years as I found when I got mine. The 4H seems to fall into the regular band as my daughter doesn't pay that excess which I will have to till 2025.

Can't recall if her 4H has the heated windscreen, I think it did, it does have heated steering wheel. Both are very handy when things are frozen over :)

That said testing the car the other day when it was down to freezing after changing the battery, the engine came on as soon as I went Ready, probably because the climate system called for it. I don't really have an issue with that tho, it's good to let the engine run reasonably often so lubrication and static coolant circulate, IMHO.

My last trip across to the Reading area, so circa 200 mile round trip, used a bit under 1/2 tank and according to the car gave 35MPG, which I consider reasonable. Short local trips I can do mostly in EV mode tho the steep hills go better with the engine adding some extra juice for the motors.

In terms of which is best re 2.0/2.4, I wonder what parts support will be like for the 2.0 after 2025/26 given it'll be approaching the 10 year requirement. That was something I considered when opting for the 2.4L models.

As an owner of the 2017 4HS for the last 5 years - I can tell you that 22miles on battery is pushing it - you definitely won’t get that in winter with the AC/Heating on - unless you are driving somewhere very flat and not on any roads over 40mph. But a few miles on petrol isn’t the end of the world - as you want the engine to circulate everything regularly anyway. It doesn’t hurt MPG too much. I imagine the newer larger engine might even be more efficient as it has to work less - but that might be offset by the weight of the bigger battery!

The top trim level will cost you the luxury car road tax levy of an extra £250 or so for the first 5 years - so will be at least £400 a year - the 2016 model is tax free - I imagine the 2018 and newer models are the same?

Either way - they are great cars for short journeys and have loads of load space compared to other PHEV options in the same price bracket.

But a few miles on petrol isn’t the end of the world - as you want the engine to circulate everything regularly anyway. It doesn’t hurt MPG too much.
I would argue against that idea, a little bit anyway. I drive as EV as much as I reasonably can for short trips like most people. However, when I know I cannot complete the trip as an EV, I use save or charge as I deem fit, mostly on motorways, to make sure the engine oil gets up to "operating temperature" for a reasonable time, in order to eliminate water and unburnt fuel accumulation and oil dilution. It does slightly annoy me when I get too agressive with the gas pedal and cause an unecessary engine start if I've neglected to select EV mode. I've seen/heard comments about the oil level appearing to be higher than the FULL mark due to too many short trips in ordinary cars and falling to normal on a long trip.

Recently I changed the oil and filter because it was due for it on a calendar basis even though the actual engine running time for the year was probably equivalent to only 2000km. The oil looked pretty good as you'd expect but there was about 5 litres of it. This is the first time I've done it on this car due to warranty issues but it's now 5 years old and the dealer can go and screw themself as far as I'm concerned. I kind of suspect they overfilled it, like maybe they never actually changed the filter at oil change time, and then added oil as though they had done the filter. Impossible to prove of course, but there was definitely too much in there.

Back