About to buy. Good price? Apple Carplay in G4h?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2347

Hello folks,
I'm in the Midlands of the UK. We were going to get a nearly new Outlander because our experienced mechanic relation advised us that they are a good, reliable choice.
However, the tax breaks mean it's actually significantly cheaper/more advantageous/wiser to buy a new PHEV outlander through our company.
And since the majority of our drives are under 20 miles per day, the wife is a reserved driver and we have solar panels, it suits our needs pretty well.
I tend to gun it, so maybe this will slow me down a bit.

I've had a look round at the options and we're leaning towards a frost white G4h.
Frost white because we prefer white and don't consider an extra £500 for metallic paint to be worth it. Any thoughts there?
We chose the 4 because it hits the right level of luxury vs price.
The safety enhancements of the G4hs are not of particular interest to me since I don't do motorway very often.

I had a test drive yesterday.
I was disappointed with the lack of power at 30-40mph. When I put my foot to the floor, nothing happened for ages. It was worse than sluggish.
We currently have an Audi A4 Avant and pedal to the metal in that gets you reasonable instant acceleration.
Any thoughts on power delivery of the G4h?

Other aspects of the test drive were fine.

A big focus of my decision making is the features and technology in the car.
It's important, for example, that the audio system is good, and it is certainly good enough.
I currently use an iPhone running Waze for navigation. Waze has replaced TomTom because it's so much better at choosing routes based on timely traffic information.
The built-in SatNav in the Outlander isn't as good as Waze and though the wife will prefer to use that rather than her iPhone, I will definitely prefer to use my iPhone.
My local dealer has said it's relatively trivial to route a power cable to the dash on the right of the steering wheel so I can mount my phone there, but while bluetooth is ok (I've tried it) the best solution would be to have Apple Carplay. Now I know this available in the G3, but it's not available in the G4.
Does anyone have any information or experience of whether the G4H model can have Apple CarPlay installed?

I have elected to have the new Kenwood DRV-410 which is dealer installed for £216. (I am a big proponent of dashcams).
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vwc/DRV-410/
Any thoughts on this dashcam? There is very little information and virtually no reviews available online.

My last question is with regard to price.
Best quote I have is
  • Mitsubishi Outlander G4h 2017 Frost White
    Set of mats
    Kenwood dashcam
    Full tank of fuel
£33700 delivered
Is that an excellent price?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give.

Price looks about average to me. The dash cam is overpriced though - you can get just as good cameras for under £110 and fitting is just 15 minutes (max) plus a couple of pounds for the add-a-fuse.

Lance said:
Price looks about average to me. The dash cam is overpriced though - you can get just as good cameras for under £110 and fitting is just 15 minutes (max) plus a couple of pounds for the add-a-fuse.

Thank you. I know a little bit about dashcam prices. What I think *might* be worth it is that there would be a dealer warranty with it.
Installing it would be beyond my ability. Plus I like the fact it has parking mode and therefore needs some battery protection?
What alternative dashcams would you suggest please? As an alternative where I would pay someone to fit it?

Don't worry about battery protection for the Dashcam, the benefit of driving an EV that automatically (on certain specifications) tops up the 12v battery once a day from the drive battery. My dashcam runs 24/7, details how to wire up here --> http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2589&start=31

I have a DDPaiM6 Plus with a 128MB card.

Metallic paint through the lease company for was a no cost option, though raised the taxable amount by a tiny amount. It's a personal decision.

As far as I know the Apple CarPlay can't be installed. The PHEV Juro model I believe has an Android interface, though less gadgets.

I went for the HS as I wanted all the toys. Of course then then brought out the '5' just after my order :)

Have you tried the online portals such as CarWow and Drivethedeal to get a lower price?

SolarBoy said:
Don't worry about battery protection for the Dashcam, the benefit of driving an EV that automatically (on certain specifications) tops up the 12v battery once a day from the drive battery. My dashcam runs 24/7, details how to wire up here --> http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2589&start=31

I have a DDPaiM6 Plus with a 128MB card.

Metallic paint through the lease company for was a no cost option, though raised the taxable amount by a tiny amount. It's a personal decision.

As far as I know the Apple CarPlay can't be installed. The PHEV Juro model I believe has an Android interface, though less gadgets.

I went for the HS as I wanted all the toys. Of course then then brought out the '5' just after my order :)

Have you tried the online portals such as CarWow and Drivethedeal to get a lower price?

Thank you. I've looked up Techmoans's review of the DDPai and it looks pretty good.
I've also put in a request via CarWow but it didn't give me chance to specify that it's a company car and therefore eligible for 10% extra discount. So the quotes are a few grand more than my best. So far.
What is it about the 5 and the S which appeal to you?

Spinball said:
Hello folks,
I'm in the Midlands of the UK. We were going to get a nearly new Outlander because our experienced mechanic relation advised us that they are a good, reliable choice.
However, the tax breaks mean it's actually significantly cheaper/more advantageous/wiser to buy a new PHEV outlander through our company.
And since the majority of our drives are under 20 miles per day, the wife is a reserved driver and we have solar panels, it suits our needs pretty well.
I tend to gun it, so maybe this will slow me down a bit.

I've had a look round at the options and we're leaning towards a frost white G4h.
Frost white because we prefer white and don't consider an extra £500 for metallic paint to be worth it. Any thoughts there?
We chose the 4 because it hits the right level of luxury vs price.
The safety enhancements of the G4hs are not of particular interest to me since I don't do motorway very often.

I had a test drive yesterday.
I was disappointed with the lack of power at 30-40mph. When I put my foot to the floor, nothing happened for ages. It was worse than sluggish.
We currently have an Audi A4 Avant and pedal to the metal in that gets you reasonable instant acceleration.
Any thoughts on power delivery of the G4h?

Other aspects of the test drive were fine.

A big focus of my decision making is the features and technology in the car.
It's important, for example, that the audio system is good, and it is certainly good enough.
I currently use an iPhone running Waze for navigation. Waze has replaced TomTom because it's so much better at choosing routes based on timely traffic information.
The built-in SatNav in the Outlander isn't as good as Waze and though the wife will prefer to use that rather than her iPhone, I will definitely prefer to use my iPhone.
My local dealer has said it's relatively trivial to route a power cable to the dash on the right of the steering wheel so I can mount my phone there, but while bluetooth is ok (I've tried it) the best solution would be to have Apple Carplay. Now I know this available in the G3, but it's not available in the G4.
Does anyone have any information or experience of whether the G4H model can have Apple CarPlay installed?

I have elected to have the new Kenwood DRV-410 which is dealer installed for £216. (I am a big proponent of dashcams).
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vwc/DRV-410/
Any thoughts on this dashcam? There is very little information and virtually no reviews available online.

My last question is with regard to price.
Best quote I have is
  • Mitsubishi Outlander G4h 2017 Frost White
    Set of mats
    Kenwood dashcam
    Full tank of fuel
£33700 delivered
Is that an excellent price?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give.
If you want more-or-less instant acceleration it is helpful to press the charge button beforehand.

Spinball said:
Thank you. I've looked up Techmoans's review of the DDPai and it looks pretty good.
I've also put in a request via CarWow but it didn't give me chance to specify that it's a company car and therefore eligible for 10% extra discount. So the quotes are a few grand more than my best. So far.
What is it about the 5 and the S which appeal to you?

Better audio, the 4HS audio is terrible. Even my wife doesn't like it and doesn't play music. Better leather, spoiler, puddle lights, probably other bits and bobs.

Back