Acoustic vehicle alerting system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greendwarf said:
As usual, Douglas Adams had anticipated all of life in "Hitchhiker" -

Mr. Prosser: Do you know how much damage this bulldozer would sustain if I just let it roll over you?
Arthur: How much?
Mr. Prosser: None at all.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't pan out for a PHEV as its made of 1 molecule thick steel, it would be written off...

tonykenny said:
Bump!
Anybody found a way to change the AVAS sound yet?
ta
TK

Yes. Sort off.

You can kill the sound by disconnecting the speaker. Replacing it with another speaker / tune might be a solution. For me driving in absolute silence is just fine, although having the sound of a sheep installed as an option would be funny.

SolarBoy said:
Have only done 150 miles or so, a few peds have already tried to throw themselves in front of me, ACAS was 'off' due to travelling at 30mph ...

Were you driving in a shopping mall? At 30mph tire sound on almost every car is louder than the engine... (which is also why avas turns off)

Pancake said:
SolarBoy said:
Have only done 150 miles or so, a few peds have already tried to throw themselves in front of me, ACAS was 'off' due to travelling at 30mph ...

Were you driving in a shopping mall? At 30mph tire sound on almost every car is louder than the engine... (which is also why avas turns off)

Hi Pancake, it was a main road, specifically a distributor road. Long, flat, no curves, 30mph, good visibility, dry, at ten minutes past noon :roll:

I am at a loss ...

I thought the 2016 had decent stock LED DRL's? which are probably more useful than acoustics.

As has been discussed before, it should have a cooler sound though, perhaps like a Tardis (instead of the current sound that is like something faintly metallic going badly wrong in the engine)

BobEngineer said:
I thought the 2016 had decent stock LED DRL's? which are probably more useful than acoustics.

As has been discussed before, it should have a cooler sound though, perhaps like a Tardis (instead of the current sound that is like something faintly metallic going badly wrong in the engine)

Yes, the DRL's are great, I should have explained that the peds had their back to me.

Perhaps I need to crank up the stereo to '11' :lol: and leave the windows open play some Drum and Bass ...

I had quite a funny moment last week. Picked daughter up from school. 2 mums were stood chatting by my car, almost leaning on the phev by the near side front wing. We took our time getting in, slamming of doors etc yet they were oblivious. I didn't want to give them heart failure by hooting horn and thought shouting out the window would be a bit rude, but it was really funny when I pulled away, they nearly fell over. I crawled out of the space and turned immediately so as not to bump them with the mirror but the lady facing the car pulled the lady with her back to me away. They couldn't believe how quiet it was - must have expected a 4x4 to sound like a tractor... I was chuckling all the way home. And yes, the avas was on.
H

Before anyone jumps in, no one was remotely in danger during this - I was completely aware they were there, even if they were clueless!

It brings to mind the only fools and horses clip - "play it cool" as del leans back on the bar but the flap has been lifted so he falls through - that would make a good phev sketch. Someone goes to lean on a car only to find its just driven away... :lol:

Hypermiler said:
It brings to mind the only fools and horses clip - "play it cool" as del leans back on the bar but the flap has been lifted so he falls through - that would make a good phev sketch. Someone goes to lean on a car only to find its just driven away... :lol:

:lol:

Seriously! Mitsubishi, pay attention! This needs to be in your next Outlander PHEV commercial!

My neighbours's boys are calling my PHEV "the spooky car" because it seems to always be in stealth mode...

greendwarf wrote:
As usual, Douglas Adams had anticipated all of life in "Hitchhiker" -

Mr. Prosser: Do you know how much damage this bulldozer would sustain if I just let it roll over you?
Arthur: How much?
Mr. Prosser: None at all.

I always thought the answer to EVERYTHING was 42!

+ 1, I was once slowly passed by a Chrysler 300c when out on foot on a foggy evening - a real Hollywood film noir moment :eek:

would it be possible to replace the AVAS unit with a small Pc, raspberry pie type setup, program it to play anything you want, even anything from your phone, when the AVAS usually activates, it runs the raspberry pie instead?

Something as complex as a Raspberry Pie would probably be massive overkill for the job...

The AVAS sound is just a chip-in-a-box I think.

Should have a switch, second from left on the lower set to the right of the steering column (In UK).

v4o39h.jpg

Regulo said:
Should have a switch, second from left on the lower set to the right of the steering column (In UK).

v4o39h.jpg

thanks
I thought it was turn to turn off the alarm
haven't read the manual and have no intention to lol

djmoscow said:
Regulo said:

v4o39h.jpg

thanks
I thought it was turn to turn off the alarm
haven't read the manual and have no intention to lol

do you know if it turns itself back on if you restart the car?

Back