Activating TPMS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paule23

I took my new PHEV to my local dealer today (not who I purchased through) as the TMPS warning light was on. They advised me the TMPS had not been activated, which should have been done on the PDI. They would not turn it on unless I paid as they did not supply the car and said I would have to go back to the lease firm who supplied it.

Does anyone know how complex this is to turn on? How much would you expect to pay for this?

I'm not sure how much work is involved, but it's not a very nice welcome to your nearest dealer. I assume you are/were planning to use them for servicing.

Paule23 said:
I took my new PHEV to my local dealer today (not who I purchased through) as the TMPS warning light was on. They advised me the TMPS had not been activated, which should have been done on the PDI. They would not turn it on unless I paid as they did not supply the car and said I would have to go back to the lease firm who supplied it.

Does anyone know how complex this is to turn on? How much would you expect to pay for this?

Regardless of how complex it is to turn it on, your vehicle is under warranty and this is a defect which should be rectified by ANY Mitsubishi dealer.

Name and shame them and let Mitsubishi UK know about their attitude

I had to argue pretty strenuously on the phone to even get them to agree to look at it. They said it was an issue with the tyre pressures (despite what the manual says) and suggested I go to Kwik Fit as it would be a problem with the tyres.

To name and shame, it was Pheonix Mitsubishi in Paisley. I was planning on using them for servicing (I can stop at Ikea on the way back for a rapid charge) but will definitely use a different dealer/service centre now. There is a Park Mitsubishi in Coatbridge and a Western Mitsubishi servicing centre which will get my business going forward.

It's such a shame that some dealers are so short sighted.

We've found Harratts at Barnsley gives great service over the last 11 years. It's a bit of a trek though from North of the border!!

Unfortunately I don't think I can make it to Barnsley and back on the battery, a key requirement when I've got to go to the dealers at my own expense!

I agree about going back to Mitsubishi as they have supplied you with a brand new car that doesn't conform to the European standards for TPMS.

Apologies for slight thickness, but I have just ordered a G3 and didn't realise there was a tyre pressure monitoring system! How does it work for those that have it, please? Thanks.

It basically does what it's title suggests. There are sensors embedded in the wheels which monitor the tyre pressure and wirelessly transmit data to the ECU. If the pressures drop too far (I'm not sure what the exact trigger pressure is) you will get a low pressure warning light, prompting you to check your tyre pressures at a garage.

All in response to aeuropean legislation requiring such monitors.

DavidWolfy said:
Apologies for slight thickness, but I have just ordered a G3 and didn't realise there was a tyre pressure monitoring system! How does it work for those that have it, please? Thanks.

Just checked the spec sheet and cannot see a TMPS mentioned anywhere. Is this not on UK spec cars?

Paule23 said:
It basically does what it's title suggests. There are sensors embedded in the wheels which monitor the tyre pressure and wirelessly transmit data to the ECU. If the pressures drop too far (I'm not sure what the exact trigger pressure is) you will get a low pressure warning light, prompting you to check your tyre pressures at a garage.

All in response to aeuropean legislation requiring such monitors.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn't very clear on what I meant. It was more about how it is implemented on the PHEV. I have seen some with a display showing each tyre and the pressure. Is this just a warning light type of thing? Thanks.

On the Gx3h it is just a warning light thing. I'm not sure if you get more information on the 4h or 4hs with all their extra screens and electronic gizmos.

Hi

I think this is only a requirement for UK cars first registered after November 2014.

I have a June registered Gx3, no tpms.

It maybe the abs sensors send a signal which lights up the litte tyre! symbol at the bottom right of the speedo dial, you can see this when the car is first switched on if it's activated.

I have the symbol on mine, but no light on start up.

I haven't tried running with a soft tyre yet to see if it does work.

There's alaso a thread undet TPMS.

Regards

Chris

Well, the plot thickens. It trend out the reason the TPMS was missed off the PDI is that there was no PDI. That explains why the tyre pressures were nearly 50 psi when I checked them.

Off to a local dealer shortly then for a somewhat delayed PDI.

At my company we now have several phevs myself included, yesterday, my colleague had a tpms warning, sure enough 1 slow puncture, he proceeded to refil the air and check other, and without hardly trying snapped the valve off with sensor, now 1 poorly phev, tow truck to dealer. Mine is without issue :lol:

We've recently purchased a second hand PHEV from a Toyota dealer in Carlisle (~100 miles from Glasgow)

We had a few issues and went to Park Mitsubishi in Coatbridge.

The issues were possible missing handbook, how to do some basic operations like operating the tailgate, changing the display etc.

They were all extremely helpful and spent a lot of time with us, showing us how to do things and finding things out, they even discovered we had a pre-paid three year service plan!

Like Paule23 we were considering Phoenix Mitsubishi in Paisley for service, but will definitely be going to Park Coatbridge for all our service and accessory needs.

Back