Add a Tachometer

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chency

Did anyone sucessfully add a tachometer to the PHEV? I believe this will provide a good visual information about when and how hard the ICE is working. The issue is, where is the location to connect the green wire of tachometer to the ignition wire? Thanks a lot.

Isn't it easier to plug a Bluetooth adaptor into the CAN bus and run one of the many suitable apps on a smartphone or cheap tablet? No need to disrupt your vehicle electrics, cut holes in dashboard or anything like that - and it will give you far more information.

maby said:
Isn't it easier to plug a Bluetooth adaptor into the CAN bus and run one of the many suitable apps on a smartphone or cheap tablet? No need to disrupt your vehicle electrics, cut holes in dashboard or anything like that - and it will give you far more information.
Thanks for the great idea. I suddenly realize the dial tachometer is an old fasion since decades ago. Will try to adapt to the OBD II bluetooth connection.

I haven't done it myself yet, but there are several people here that use such setups and will, I'm sure, recommend the best hardware and software.

Hi,
I just use a cheap ELM237 (or something similar) bluetooth adapter (from Ebay) which was roughly £15 and an Android app called Torque which also has a free version and the full version is something like £3.
Tells you the engine rpm fine along with lots of other interesting stuff.
kind regards,
Mark

anko said:
Indeed. What to think of instanteneous fuel consumption and coolant temperature?
I don't bother with instanteneous fuel consumption at all. Coolent temperature is interesting as far as knowing at what point to turn the heater on without using the electric heater. I don't really use it much now.
Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
I don't bother with instanteneous fuel consumption at all.
Makes sense, as it is meaningless for a PHEV when it comes to assessing overall fuel consumption. But it did help me work out that Save and Charge mode don't differ that much when it comes to how it uses the engine.

avensys said:
Coolent temperature is interesting as far as knowing at what point to turn the heater on without using the electric heater.
exactly :lol:

avensys said:
Hi,
I just use a cheap ELM237 (or something similar) bluetooth adapter (from Ebay) which was roughly £15 and an Android app called Torque which also has a free version and the full version is something like £3.
kind regards,
Mark

Excellent... Thank you for that. Being entrenched in the iOS camp I assume there's a app that similar...

Hi
Am I right in thinking that the obd port is on the right just by the driver's knee, rhd car?

Thinking of a bluetooth adaptor and a 7" tablet in the middle where glasses normaly go. Any thoughts?

Cheers Chris

Lyra252 said:
Hi
Am I right in thinking that the obd port is on the right just by the driver's knee, rhd car?

Thinking of a bluetooth adaptor and a 7" tablet in the middle where glasses normaly go. Any thoughts?

Cheers Chris
Correct about the location. Sounds like a lot of messing about with the tablet unless you use it for navigation as well?
Kind regards,
Mark

thegurio said:
avensys said:
Hi,
kind regards,
Mark

Excellent... Thank you for that. Being entrenched in the iOS camp I assume there's a app that similar...
But make sure you get a ELM 237 WiFi dongle, not a Bluetooth one. As iPhone doesn't support ODBII over Bluetooth.

This looks like a very simple way of getting a lot more than a tachometer.

I'm considering getting a cheap Bluetooth or Wifi OBD22 ELM327 adapter (about £7.50) and using it with the iPhone App DashCommand £7.99 (DashCommand - OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics by Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
https://appsto.re/gb/_TOjt.i )

Bluetooth or Wifi ? Will Bluetooth mean I can't connect my phone with the MMCS at the same time?

Is it this simple?

Yes, it is that simple. But go for the WiFi dingle, as DashCommand has no access to BT on an iPhone.

It will give you:

RPM
Instanteneous fuel consumption
Estimated kW and Nm based on the above
Calculated average fuel consumption over various intervals ranging from 30 seconds to 3 hrs or so
Coolant temperature
Amount of fuel in fuel tank (not yet been able if this includes or excludes reserve)

I play with it a lot ... :mrgreen:

thanks for the tips, my ELM327 wifi dongle arrived (I spent £10 on a UK stock one including 1st class delivery, got it in under 2 days), tested with the free version of dash command and then bought full version. Works a treat.
HJB

fozziebear40 said:
Will this work on the GX3 or is that something else missing from the GX4 :lol:

It should work on any vehicle with an accessible diagnostic port - virtually anything built in recent years

Back