After 1 year ownership review.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Hi everyone,

I would just like to review the Phev after owning it for 1 year.

First I would like to say Happy Birthday Phev you have given me an enjoyable experience. If you were a woman I would take you to bed and rub you in oil and massage you and .... Maybe if I buy a king size bed... Oops did I write that out aloud. :oops:

But seriously the car has been great. The technology still blows me away and I am still learning new things about it all the time. Would I recommend it to others? Well as we say in Australia bloody oath (means yes) and I have.

Is it perfect no but what is? We all have certain things we would like to see implemented or improved (I would like a pure Ev mode) but we might get these on the next model. If it was perfect we would not have anything to complain about and who wants that? :lol:
Even that bloody MMCS that has so many people here annoyed does not even worry me now I have learnt how to pilot it ;)

So I bet you are asking surely something must have gone wrong. You betcha. I had the charge door spring clip pop out when someone bumped into it while charging about 11 months ago but was easily fixed(2 bolts) . My wife scratched (more like a gouge) one of the tyre rims on the kerb when she was boxed in while parked by another car and we have a dent on a door again from another car when they opened their door onto ours but these things happen and I won't get my panties in a knot about them.

Now I would like to give some advice for new owners or even some existing owners if you will let me. If you are having problems with the Phev like the first words in that book in The Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy, DON"T PANIC or chuck a wobbly. There is quite a lot of information out there about the Phev now as it has been out for over 2 years (late January 2013 in Japan) and most likely someone will have a fix.

Now you must excuse me because I am going to take the Phev out to a birthday party and get her drunk and........ Oops did I write that out aloud again? :oops:

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
Hi everyone,

I would just like to review the Phev after owning it for 1 year.

First I would like to say Happy Birthday Phev you have given me an enjoyable experience. If you were a woman I would take you to bed and rub you in oil and massage you and .... Maybe if I buy a king size bed... Oops did I write that out aloud. :oops:

But seriously the car has been great. The technology still blows me away and I am still learning new things about it all the time. Would I recommend it to others? Well as we say in Australia bloody oath (means yes) and I have.

Is it perfect no but what is? We all have certain things we would like to see implemented or improved (I would like a pure Ev mode) but we might get these on the next model. If it was perfect we would not have anything to complain about and who wants that? :lol:
Even that bloody MMCS that has so many people here annoyed does not even worry me now I have learnt how to pilot it ;)

So I bet you are asking surely something must have gone wrong. You betcha. I had the charge door spring clip pop out when someone bumped into it while charging about 11 months ago but was easily fixed(2 bolts) . My wife scratched (more like a gouge) one of the tyre rims on the kerb when she was boxed in while parked by another car and we have a dent on a door again from another car when they opened their door onto ours but these things happen and I won't get my panties in a knot about them.

Now I would like to give some advice for new owners or even some existing owners if you will let me. If you are having problems with the Phev like the first words in that book in The Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy, DON"T PANIC or chuck a wobbly. There is quite a lot of information out there about the Phev now as it has been out for over 2 years (late January 2013 in Japan) and most likely someone will have a fix.

Now you must excuse me because I am going to take the Phev out to a birthday party and get her drunk and........ Oops did I write that out aloud again? :oops:

Regards Trex.

Another very happy Aussie owner here. My charge door spring clip popped out too but don't know when and how :?: and it is lost. Took it to the dealer and they are happy to install another one under warranty at no cost but part is not in stock, they have to order it from Japan and it will take 3 months to get here :shock:
But major disappointment is the built quality, since day one, everything in the back of PHEV squeals-squeaks running on Sydney's not so good roads, I think biggest culprit is the back door. Also interior could have been more classy (We don't have the luxury top of the line model with red interior here in AU, and also premium stereo, and also auto mirrors :( )
But I am in love with the technology and rest of the vehicle, and proud to own it, would recommend it without thinking a slip second.

My PHEV will have it's birthday in June BUT I'm not quite so ecstatic as you are about the machine. True, it has some useful points when it comes to load carrying (2 x Rotties or mountain bikes or sacks of feed) but I'm most disappointed with pure EV range; it's nothing like the Manufacturer's hype of 32.5 miles. It's more like 23 miles and that's only after 9 months use with no heater or a/c or going above 50mph in Eco mode.
Add to that software in the MMCS that was written by a Japanese person who must have had an unhappy childhood AND a remote control system that Nissan Leaf owners laugh at, there is much than needs putting right with the dear PHEV. There are definitely a number of missed opportunities with the design which I do hope Mit HQ will put right in the next model???
Cheers

Langepistole said:
My PHEV will have it's birthday in June BUT I'm not quite so ecstatic as you are about the machine. True, it has some useful points when it comes to load carrying (2 x Rotties or mountain bikes or sacks of feed) but I'm most disappointed with pure EV range; it's nothing like the Manufacturer's hype of 32.5 miles. It's more like 23 miles and that's only after 9 months use with no heater or a/c or going above 50mph in Eco mode.
Add to that software in the MMCS that was written by a Japanese person who must have had an unhappy childhood AND a remote control system that Nissan Leaf owners laugh at, there is much than needs putting right with the dear PHEV. There are definitely a number of missed opportunities with the design which I do hope Mit HQ will put right in the next model???
Cheers

The question is : was it 23 miles one year ago ?

Langepistole said:
Cheers

One again ( I mentioned it in one of the other treads), just like Forrest says in the movie Forrest Gump "Life is like box of Chocolates, you never know what you are going to get until you open it". Just replace "Life" with "A new Car"
I have always done app. 55 km after a full charge, touch wood :D

Dear All, Regarding PHEV range after one year. Well, if any reader who is a PHEV owner is getting 32.5 miles after one year then all I can say is that they are extremely lucky or possibly when they make the assessment they are driving so benignly and carefully and perhaps not going above 30mph??? I drive my PHEV 'normally', not hard but just keeping with the traffic flow and it has NEVER done Mitsubishi's quoted mileage of 32.5 miles on a full charge. It has always been in the mid 20's and now approaching one year of ownership it is down to 23.2 miles in pure Eco saving mode, WITHOUT the heater or a/c or fan or radio on and keeping speed down to under 50 mph! So, in my opinion, for 'normal' driving, the PHEV has NOT got a useful range of 32.5 miles in pure EV mode, it's more realistically 25 miles ish.
Therefore, I believe Mitsubishi should review it's claim regarding the pure EV mode and state quite specifically HOW they achieve it? Is it done in a workshop environment on a rolling road with no wind resistance and the vehicle stripped of seats and petrol to make it lighter? Is it on a lovely straight road somewhere in the desert with the tyres pumped up to bursting and never slowing or stopping for traffic lights or a roundabout?
Having said all the foregoing, if Mitsubishi still claim their pure EV range to be 32.5 miles then when my PHEV goes in for it's first service in June this year with approx 5,500 miles on the clock the dealership in Brighton will have to do a thorough diagnostic test and if the battery is kaput they will have to replace it under warranty.
Just so readers do not think I'm being biased here, I also have an EV Lithium powered maxi scooter and it's range has never reached the manufacturer's quoted performance even with very careful riding. I keep in touch with a number of other EV drivers here in the South of England and to a man, they ALL state that they do not achieve the manufacturer's quoted EV range. Here is a quote from an email I received this week from one of them who has had his Nissan Leaf from new:

"The Leaf is supposed to get 125 miles to a charge, this is impossible the most I have ever achieved is 75 miles."

I've also recently test driven a Tesla Model S 85kWh machine which was a phenomenal experience. The range is quoted as well in excess of 220 miles at a stated average mph. I am extremely sceptical that 220+ miles will actually be the range driving it in normal traffic conditions here in the South East of England.
Therefore, it seems to me that where range is concerned, there is a considerable disconnect between driving an EV in the 'real world' gathering empirical information and the theoretical brochure world for EV selling EVs. Cheers, Chris.

As has been posted ad finitem the mpg etc. are derived from an EU test which must be strictly followed and are for COMPARISON purposes only. As last post illustrates, no EV vehicle normally delivers these figures in the real world but the comparison between models still survives.

I have to disagree, I left home yesterday with only 44km (27mi) indicated on the gauge but actually achieved 53km (33mi), same with actual fuel consumption. I go away for nearly seven weeks and when I get home the wife has managed, with normal driving 1.6l/100km (176.66MPG).

The car suits the wife's commute and general usage, that is why we bought it, if we were traveling sales people it would be the wrong choice IMHO.

Cheers

NAPpy

To be fair, when quoting numbers, we really need to add the number of km driven and even say a time period. I can quote 0.1L/100km for about 240km driving in a week using basically only electricity when I have only driven locally with suburban type speeds of up to 60kph. This is meaningless, as 1 trip to the city, 250km, will return say 6.7L/100km in a single day. Quite normal driving in both instances. The point is with a PHEV, the one car will do both functions. I am coming up to a years ownership of PHEV's next month, and the PHEV gives me a spare spot in the garage. Like any car, longterm reliability of the componentry will be my concern, since I had been dealt a bad egg once.

Tax plans (in Europe) are based on co2 emissions at the exhaust pipe. For this, a plain mpg number matters. A combination of car technology and driver usage profile / driving style determines how close you get.

Cheers

I agree, I'm getting very much the same range after squeezing it out like a rag (paddles, coasting, aircon off, eco). I've just bought mine with about 5k on the clock. I must say at this stage I'm quite disappointed in the range. I expected to achieve a bit more than 37 k's. And in summer (currently Australian autumn) it will be worse because the aircon will be blasting. I'm quietly hoping we'll be able to retrofit a lighter, long lasting battery pack when battery technology improves.

phevhead said:
Cheers

I agree, I'm getting very much the same range after squeezing it out like a rag (paddles, coasting, aircon off, eco). I've just bought mine with about 5k on the clock. I must say at this stage I'm quite disappointed in the range. I expected to achieve a bit more than 37 k's. And in summer (currently Australian autumn) it will be worse because the aircon will be blasting. I'm quietly hoping we'll be able to retrofit a lighter, long lasting battery pack when battery technology improves.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes but you guys are generalising your experience. There are plenty of owners who are able to obtain the declared range more or less. I am one of them, driven sensibly it will definitely give a range over 50 km. I always get around 55 km after full charge by driving within speed limits. :D

phevhead said:
Cheers

My experience is that the car is more frugal if I don't try to outsmart it with paddles and button. Just telling it we are on the Motorway by pushing Save and that there are mountains ahead by using Charge suffices to get a decent economy and in summer over 45 KM of EV running on average. No Eco button, normal use of aircon, normal calm driving, nothing special.

My experience is that the car is more frugal if I don't try to outsmart it with paddles and button. Just telling it we are on the Motorway by pushing Save and that there are mountains ahead by using Charge suffices to get a decent economy and in summer over 45 KM of EV running on average. No Eco button, normal use of aircon, normal calm driving, nothing special.

Could you please explain the thinking behind using Save on the motorway, and Charge before mountains? Thanks.

Save on the motorway as the car is as economical on electricity as on petrol at motorway speeds, so it is better to preserve charge for local traffic coming off the motorway, charge before the mountains as you want as much reserve power as possible for a long climb ahead.
Charge can also be handy if you know you will need as much electricity as possible ahead, eg having an emission controlled zone at your end destination, for instance.

jaapv said:
Save on the motorway as the car is as economical on electricity as on petrol at motorway speeds, so it is better to preserve charge for local traffic coming off the motorway, charge before the mountains as you want as much reserve power as possible for a long climb ahead.
Charge can also be handy if you know you will need as much electricity as possible ahead, eg having an emission controlled zone at your end destination, for instance.

Can you tell me how you came to this conclusion? ( ie that it is just as economic at higher speeds to run the engine and save the charge, as to allow the car to alternate between engine and battery )

Back