Anyone else who wouldn't have a PHEV again?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
It certainly is capable of over 40mpg on petrol, but that is very dependent on your driving style. I stick to speed limits and cruise the motorway at around 65mph - I would be disappointed to not get over 40mpg on a run of a hundred miles. That drops off quite quickly as you go beyond 70mph - but you would not do that, would you???

I've never had it on a motorway.

All "A" class roads, so catching up with folk doing 45 mph, over taking them, back to 60, slowing down for the windy bits, back to 30 for the little villages, back up to 45 or 60. There's not a lot of constant speeds.

onlynik said:
Not really, since a 4hs is £42000 and a Tesla is £50000.
Top of the range Evoque £39000, base model 911 £74000.
OK, if you want to play pedantry, let's say a Boxster (£44,000) rather than a 911. But the point is that they're different beasts in nearly every way. Almost no-one for whom one would be an attractive solution is likely to be looking at the other.

maby said:
ChrisMiller said:
onlynik said:
I really like the Tesla
I'd also like a Tesla, if someone wants to give me one, but isn't that a bit like saying "I don't like my Evoque, I'd rather have a 911". It's really a completely different beast, I doubt many Outlander owners sat there agonising about whether to buy a Tesla instead.

Certainly not me - I would not have a pure EV under any circumstances at least until the technology improves by a couple of orders of magnitude.

And a reliable charging network where and when you need it :? Can you charge a Tesla via a standard 3 pin?

greendwarf said:
Can you charge a Tesla via a standard 3 pin?
You can, but it takes about a day from empty to full (depending on whether you pay the extra for the larger capacity battery).

ChrisMiller said:
onlynik said:
OK, if you want to play pedantry, let's say a Boxster (£44,000) rather than a 911. But the point is that they're different beasts in nearly every way. Almost no-one for whom one would be an attractive solution is likely to be looking at the other.

Without incurring your wrath and being called a pedant again, you're comparing apples with oranges.

Have a look at this thread http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1970

There are many people who have bought the Outlander because of the low BIK.

So it's fair to assume people are buying the cars for tax efficient reasons, a Tesla brings the same BIK as a PHEV, a Boxster isn't

Any way, why else would someone buy a PHEV? Boot space?

Well the Tesla has 864 compared with 436 in the PHEV.

Maybe it's a family vehicle.

PHEV has 5 seats, as does the Tesla, however a Tesla has an option for 7 seats. (I'll be a little pedantic and mention that a Boxster only has two seats.)

Maybe it is for cold climates, icy roads.

Well the PHEV has 4wd, but then again so does the Tesla.

I'm not saying that there aren't differences, the major one is the lack of the ICE, but as for a "normal" car it's more than £10,000 better.

onlynik said:
ChrisMiller said:
onlynik said:

Without incurring your wrath and being called a pedant again, you're comparing apples with oranges.

Have a look at this thread http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1970

There are many people who have bought the Outlander because of the low BIK.

So it's fair to assume people are buying the cars for tax efficient reasons, a Tesla brings the same BIK as a PHEV, a Boxster isn't

Any way, why else would someone buy a PHEV? Boot space?

Well the Tesla has 864 compared with 436 in the PHEV.

Maybe it's a family vehicle.

PHEV has 5 seats, as does the Tesla, however a Tesla has an option for 7 seats. (I'll be a little pedantic and mention that a Boxster only has two seats.)

Maybe it is for cold climates, icy roads.

Well the PHEV has 4wd, but then again so does the Tesla.

I'm not saying that there aren't differences, the major one is the lack of the ICE, but as for a "normal" car it's more than £10,000 better.

I would have thought that the presence of the petrol engine in the PHEV was the overwhelming reason for buying it

OK, I give up. A Tesla is exactly the same as a PHEV only more than £10,000* better. Which raises the obvious question - why would anyone buy a an Outlander? Yet many (including you, apparently) do.

* Actually, you can only reach this figure by comparing the cheapest Tesla with the most expensive Outlander, which is a ludicrous comparison - a like for like figure would be more than £20,000, a top end Tesla leaves little change from £80k.

ChrisMiller said:
OK, I give up. A Tesla is exactly the same as a PHEV only more than £10,000* better. Which raises the obvious question - why would anyone buy a an Outlander? Yet many (including you, apparently) do.

* Actually, you can only reach this figure by comparing the cheapest Tesla with the most expensive Outlander, which is a ludicrous comparison - a like for like figure would be more than £20,000, a top end Tesla leaves little change from £80k.
Tell me this when you are stranded without power, and the Outlander just drives on on petrol...

jaapv said:
ChrisMiller said:

Tell me this when you are stranded without power, and the Outlander just drives on on petrol...

Quite true - but you are about 16 months late with this comment! :D

Phever said:
On balance, I wouldn't have another PHEV for various reasons. Is there anyone else who has come to the same conclusion? If so, why?

So, just going back to the original question...

I am happy with the way the car functions.
I am less happy with the way the car is put together and the service from the dealership.

Build quality is very low: my driver's seat has cracked badly and in many places (and a couple of other issues)
The dealership has ZERO interest in customer service

This is why I will NOT buy another Mitsubishi, but I wouldn't rule out another plug-in hybrid.

Serves them right, I say.

I gave up my PHEV almost a year ago as I had stopped enjoying journeys and got fed up plugging it in to go 25 miles on electric.

I bought a one year old Mtsubishi Shogun Barbarian SWB with tow bar etc etc at £10k less than list with 5k miles on the clock. It is noisier and thirstier than the PHEV but much more fun to drive and own. It feels more solidly build and tows a heavy glider trailer with ease.

On long journeys, I fill up before I go and forget about fuel for three hundred odd miles. I just enjoy the drive!!

However, if they built a Shogun SWB PHEV with a 100 mile plus battery and a 200bhp petrol V6, I would have one straight away!

Bilbo59 said:
I gave up my PHEV almost a year ago as I had stopped enjoying journeys and got fed up plugging it in to go 25 miles on electric.

I'm still reasonably happy with the one we have, though not too optimistic about its life expectancy. I like the electric transmission - I have poor experiences of clutches and gearboxes! Most of the time I drive it as a petrol car and it does a decent job of that.

Would I have another? Currently no - the tax incentives that made it viable have largely gone.

Back