Anyone else who wouldn't have a PHEV again?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pancake nails it, although I don't have parking sensors (GX4H) so that's not an issue.

EV button and increased range would be killer. I don't understand why the former wasn't put on the car, that and the better interior were the only advantages of the eTron when I test drove that. I dare say, had I spent longer with the PHEV and realised how keen it would be to fire up the ICE, I may have wound up choosing the eTron, if that was the binary choice, despite the fact I don't like the marque and it looks very dated.

TC1978 said:
Pancake nails it, although I don't have parking sensors (GX4H) so that's not an issue.

EV button and increased range would be killer. I don't understand why the former wasn't put on the car, that and the better interior were the only advantages of the eTron when I test drove that. I dare say, had I spent longer with the PHEV and realised how keen it would be to fire up the ICE, I may have wound up choosing the eTron, if that was the binary choice, despite the fact I don't like the marque and it looks very dated.

So you didn't need the extra carrying capacity & soft-road capability of an SUV but still took the PHEV on looks and marque preference alone :?: However, I admit with a similar EV range and looks that I like I might have considered the eTron myself but it was not available in 2014. Despite this I don't regret getting the PHEV as the extra space has been well utilised in 18 months. :p

greendwarf said:
TC1978 said:

So you didn't need the extra carrying capacity & soft-road capability of an SUV but still took the PHEV on looks and marque preference alone :?: However, I admit with a similar EV range and looks that I like I might have considered the eTron myself but it was not available in 2014. Despite this I don't regret getting the PHEV as the extra space has been well utilised in 18 months. :p

Extra carrying capacity & soft-road capability? No, I don't. I did want a plug-in hybrid (I'm a company car driver), and the availability, price point and spec of the Outlander was why I bought one, plus I liked the looks. I can't deny that the space is useful, but only for very occasional trips to the recycling centre.

I'd have bought an i3 if the range was longer and/or fuel tank was bigger - I can just about squeeze the 350 mile each way trip I do every few weeks out of one tank in the Outlander.

Don't get me wrong - I love the car, despite its flaws. I just think some of those flaws are a little strange - the lack of an EV button being one of them!

We have loved (and still love) our PHEV - high driving position, comfort, AWD, size, cheap running costs. We are in 2 minds whether to buy it at the end of the lease or not. Having never kept a car longer than 3.5 years the odds are probably against it - you only live once and we like to experience as many different things (including cars) in the limited time we have on this planet :)

i think on balance, the most annoying thing has been that if I want to drain the battery in 10 miles because it's cold/ i want to max out the battery drain with a heavy right foot/ i actually want to be warm and have the windows free of mist, then i want that choice. obviously within certain sensible parameters (eg not -15C)

Why do you want to drain the battery? To start the ICE? to get the heater working?
Either turn the heat up to 80f-ish or push the save button and the ICE will run most of the time.
If you push the charge button your petrol mpg will suffer badly.

Carnut said:
Why do you want to drain the battery? To start the ICE? to get the heater working?
Either turn the heat up to 80f-ish or push the save button and the ICE will run most of the time.

I think it was a rather roundabout way of saying that he would like an EV button...

Carnut said:
Care to explain why you think it does? There is a lot of things that can be said about the use of the Charge button, but I don't think this is necessarily one of them. A lot of people use the Charge button in their attempts to reduce overall MPG.

anko said:
Carnut said:
Care to explain why you think it does? There is a lot of things that can be said about the use of the Charge button, but I don't think this is necessarily one of them. A lot of people use the Charge button in their attempts to reduce overall MPG.

I think you mean "increase overall MPG" - difference between the continental and British way of looking at fuel consumption! :)

maby said:
anko said:
Carnut said:

I think you mean "increase overall MPG" - difference between the continental and British way of looking at fuel consumption! :)
Uh, what, me, where .. uh ..... Yes, that :p

That must say something interesting about the psychology of the British in comparison with the psychology of you continentals - we like to get more for a fixed price - you like to pay less for a fixed amount! :)

maby said:
That must say something interesting about the psychology of the British in comparison with the psychology of you continentals - we like to get more for a fixed price - you like to pay less for a fixed amount! :)
I guess 'our' approach makes more sense. You guys need to drive further before you get more miles out of a gallon ;)

maby said:
Carnut said:

I think it was a rather roundabout way of saying that he would like an EV button...

bingo!

I must say I wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi PHEV again, however I'd buy a better make.

I really like the Tesla, and the base mode is only slightly more that the top of the range PHEV.

So I’ll start with the negatives.

If you want to run on pure batteries you can’t have the heater on above 15.5 degrees until it heats up a bit then you can put it up slowly .5 of a degree at a time. I have a big jacket, so that’s not a problem for me.
It feels really underpowered. It has 200 bhp, but weighs in at 2 tonnes so 100 bhp per tonne is not a lot.
Plastic – there is plastic everywhere, especially in the rear of the cabin, and it scratches really easily.
Passenger seat isn’t electric. (I can’t remember the last car I owned that didn’t have power seats for the passenger)
The MMCS – there are too many heading and sub menus. I’m sure I’ll get a nice setup eventually, but it’s a it cluttered.
The supplied Toyo tyres are worse than useless in the snow. I had no grip on Saturday night when it snowed, my Jag was better in the snow.

Positives
The app – you can remotely power on the car heater to defrost it on winter mornings (this uses the battery unless it’s plugged in), you can also set other items like unlock procedure, wipers, light options from there.
Heated seats are nice, but not unusal on a £40k car.
Controllable heated steering wheel (the Porsche was automatic and sometime I’d have liked it on and it wasn’t)
Electric running – costs me nothing to charge at a Rapid Charger.
There seems to be plenty space in the cabin.
The media centre integration with iPhone is good, bluetooth works well and will stream Apple music. Receiving calls works well, making a call is however more difficult.

onlynik said:
I really like the Tesla
I'd also like a Tesla, if someone wants to give me one, but isn't that a bit like saying "I don't like my Evoque, I'd rather have a 911". It's really a completely different beast, I doubt many Outlander owners sat there agonising about whether to buy a Tesla instead.

ChrisMiller said:
onlynik said:
I really like the Tesla
I'd also like a Tesla, if someone wants to give me one, but isn't that a bit like saying "I don't like my Evoque, I'd rather have a 911". It's really a completely different beast, I doubt many Outlander owners sat there agonising about whether to buy a Tesla instead.

Certainly not me - I would not have a pure EV under any circumstances at least until the technology improves by a couple of orders of magnitude.

ChrisMiller said:
onlynik said:
I really like the Tesla

Not really, since a 4hs is £42000 and a Tesla is £50000.
Top of the range Evoque £39000, base model 911 £74000.

And FWIW, I did agonise about it, the only issue would be charging it at home, due to some current issues.

I'll report back tomorrow after my test drive and tell you how it compares to a 911, if you want.

However, I'm finding that many people on this forum eulogise about the PHEV. The car is a tool, and not a great one at that, I bought it for a number of reasons, one of which was to save money, and I am doing that. I like the free motoring. I like the ability to remotely demist the car, but that is about all, however when the battery goes, and you're reliant on the petrol motor, it's very poor. I've seen people on here say they get 45mpg on petrol, best I've got is 34. Once the car is paid off, it'll be sold and I'll never buy another Mitsubishi.

It certainly is capable of over 40mpg on petrol, but that is very dependent on your driving style. I stick to speed limits and cruise the motorway at around 65mph - I would be disappointed to not get over 40mpg on a run of a hundred miles. That drops off quite quickly as you go beyond 70mph - but you would not do that, would you???

Back