Anyone going for another one?!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our lease vehicle has gone back now - can't say I'm disappointed.

Nice big car good for lugging stuff, but we had all sorts of problems with ours - wafer thin paint, tin foil panels, not to mention the multiple brake failures and poor economy at only 58mpg over the 3 years, even before you factor in the leccy costs.

It just wasn't the car for us in the end and clearly not suited to our driving pattern

I see Kia have added another PHEV model to their range, the Niro. From the spec sheet, it looks a bit like a plug-in ASX. So that could be an option in 15 months' time (the Optima is a 4-door saloon, and I really want a 5-door for trips to the tip etc.) The list price is around a third less than the Outlander.

The dealer mine came from in Oxford has now switched from Mitsubishi to Kia (but they're still doing the maintenance), so I might ask for a test drive when the next service is due.

ChrisMiller said:
I see Kia have added another PHEV model to their range, the Niro. From the spec sheet, it looks a bit like a plug-in ASX. So that could be an option in 15 months' time (the Optima is a 4-door saloon, and I really want a 5-door for trips to the tip etc.) The list price is around a third less than the Outlander.

The dealer mine came from in Oxford has now switched from Mitsubishi to Kia (but they're still doing the maintenance), so I might ask for a test drive when the next service is due.

Problem with the Niro is the non-PHEV hybrid has a pretty modest boot, the PHEV version eats into that even more, really very small.

The non-PHEV is a good alternative to something like a diesel Qashqai with similar dimensions and real world economy but the advantage of a smooth petrol engine, short EV mode periods and lower CO2 for company car drivers so less tax.

Well the time has come to choose the new company car, although I won't be actually changing until early November. It's been a toss up between another Outlander 4HS and a VW Passat GTE Advance Estate. My only real requirements are low BIK, no pure electric range issues, large family/estate. I've read just about every review and watched every video going on the Passat. Will be taking one for a spin next week.

As much as I've enjoyed the Outlander for the last 4 yrs, right now (before driving the VW) I'm marginally leaning towards the VW. although last week I was solidly in the Outlander camp. BIK is similar for each. Here are my considerations:

VW has built in decent satnav.....I live in N Wales and often venture out around the Snowdonia wilderness; don't fancy relying on a phone signal via CarPlay!
VW has better performance.
VW in Advance spec has slightly better standard equipment.
VW generally gets better reviews, although I've never had a problem with my 14 plate 4HS.
VW comes in at just over £40k.

But:
Outlander has 4WD (I mentioned I live in N Wales!).
Outlander is slightly more spacious.
I enjoy higher seats of the Outlander, although this is counteracted by the needs of my ageing labrador which would prefer a lower boot to jump into!
Outlander 4HS comes in at just under £40k.

I expect I'm not the only one changing company car, and I expect others have considered the VW......hopefully my points will help some others......I'm also hoping others may point out some pros or cons for either which I may have overlooked!

Regarding CarPlay:
You might install a map on your phone as backup, when being offline. I am happy with Osmand which is using Open Street Maps. All data is on your phone, no connection needed. Disadvantage: You dont have the map on the 7" screen, but on your phone in such a case. Voice via the loud speaker of the PHEV should be possible via bluetooth. Quality of the maps in very rural Italy and in Austria was fine or close to perfect. Might be you check the available map quality for your region(s) on www.openstreetmap.org in advance.

High hurdle for your dog:
In case that he really has problems, you can train him now to walk over a wood plank or similar. Being trained can also help when he is getting more sick than today.
If you should (also) fear for scratches in the paint of the car, you can protect it with (transparent) protective foil. I did so with my previous car as I don't like to be over-cautious in everyday live.

Best regards, Harald

I have less than a year to go.

Really don't know what, except it has to be SUV or SUV'ish, I don't do cars anymore.

Another PHEV is a strong possibility as they have had a few upgrades since my 2015 one. But its not as comfortable as it could be to me.

Also I would be gutted as part way into my lease the new 2019/20 model would launch which has better everything and a 2.4L Atkinson engine. It would be a radical game-changer on the way my companies fuel policy (advisory rates).

Non hybrid 1.5L Petrol Skoda Karok appeals. Non plug-in hybrids, new models of Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V might be interesting but there are no figures yet and I don't think will be around for test drives or to order in time. Diesel BMW X1 or VolvoXC40 a possibility.

Or I might have a midlife crisis and say to hell with it and go for an Alfa Romeo Stelvio for the fun!

I wouldn't go back to a non-electric model (of some kind). I'm still amazed there isn't much else around after nearly four years.... The recent bad weather made me appreciate how good the AWD system is (with winter tyres obvs). Don't think I'd go for a Passat GTE now - I'd miss the paddles!! I'd still consider a Tesla model 3 AWD but it probably won't get to the UK till at least 2020 (I'd only consider it then if the current incumbent of the White House has gone by then as well :lol: )

I've been considering another one, theres a few improvements since my 2015. However, there are a few niggles. No satnav, somewhat old fashioned interior and thinnish panels etc. Plus theres a new model at the end of the year, and it would be annoying to have a new car thats already out of date :lol: I'm looking closely at a Skoda Kodiaq, but might come back when I've had that for 3 or 4 years if I'm still alive :D

westdevon said:
... and it would be annoying to have a new car thats already out of date

Seems to me that that is equally likely to happen irrespective of the make and model you buy!

I have decided to jump ship - mainly due to the price :cry: :cry: :cry: Lease cost for me increased by £100/month, mainly due to upping my contracted milage.

I have opted for a Kia Optima Sportswagon PHEV, with the increased milage, for about the same as I am currently paying :D :D

Not much on the Optima forum though - have learned a lot from this forum over the last 3 years.

I will ceratinly remain active (although more of a lurker) in the relevant forum.

Will be sad to see HIM go - love the driving position :D

Glenn

maby said:
westdevon said:
... and it would be annoying to have a new car thats already out of date

Seems to me that that is equally likely to happen irrespective of the make and model you buy!

True, but this is quite a big update by all reports and as far as I can find its 'due towards end of 2018' so in this case I could miss it by a very narrow margin and then be locked into another 4 year lease on an old one.

Imagine coming on here and hearing stories of lots of new owners getting much better MPG or range for 4 years from the new model... agony!

Living in London with no congestion charge & cheap parking in Westminster but needing longer range & carrying space on occasion - would be difficult to justify buying anything else, even without air quality concerns. :mrgreen:

With the 5yr warranty and 8yr battery guarantee I'll be keeping it for a while.

IMO the plug-in is the only hybrid, those that have and ICE that charges their battery are not hybrid because the only fuel they use is petrol. So, in my opinion they are petrol engine!

So for the plug-in capability space etc its Hobson's choice!

I probably won't buy another Outlander PHEV for several reasons, the first being doubts I have about the Renault/Nissan alliance, but the main reason being that I am very happy with the car and I am looking at keeping it for around five to eight years, by which time my next purchase will/should be fully EV (still hoping for hover cars, damn "Tomorrows World" for planting that idea in my head). As good as this car is, for me it is only a stop-gap while the batteries and the charging infrastructure are developed to a sufficient level to comfortably sustain 100% EV. As far as my introduction to electric/hybrid cars goes the Outlander has done a fantastic job and has won me over.

I have a 2014 which will be 4 years old in June. Just done my periodic, "should I upgrade" debate with myself, partly prompted by a neighbour getting a smart Passat GTE.
Same conclusion again - the cost is simply not justified by any meaningful improvement in the 2019 PHEV or any of the competition.
Although the small incremental improvements to the PHEV are welcome(slightly better range, trim etc), it is still basically the same car as my 2014.
The Passat looks nice but the performance is not much better.
As for the premium offerings (BMW,Volvo, RR etc), they are hideously expensive for what are undoubtedly nicer cars but , again, no real improvement in performance.
My conclusion is that I think the PHEV back in 2014 was at least 3 years ahead of the competition and pleased I bought it. Probably another couple of years before anything comes along to tempt me - Tesla 3 maybe?

I'm with you Sumpy. I expect to keep for 10 years at least. I can imagine having it with 200K miles on the clock as the traditional car-killer degradation doesn't apply in the same way ( the ICE does so little actual work in my usage). Overall the car is considerably better than I expected and tough enough to last. Better cars, technically, will emerge (though I can offer no obvious candidates yet) but not at a the same price point I am sure. Retro fitting an existing model as a PHEV was a brilliant master stoke - who else has done that? All that said I shall be keeping a close eye on Volvo in particular.

Same here, mine is going in for the next annual service next week.

The car is four years old, has done just under 19,000 km, and probably the engine is only running for about 10 hours per year. :lol:

I expect my car to outlast me under these circumstances.

Don’t know if its bs or not but one car salesman told that they have had ”some problems” with used phev Volvos but nothing with Mitsus. And they had both at yard.

EssexBoy said:
Retro fitting an existing model as a PHEV was a brilliant master stoke - who else has done that? All that said I shall be keeping a close eye on Volvo in particular.
This is NOT what they did. The Outlander used for the PHEV was a completely new car, designed specifically with the PHEV in mind. This is why our battery is in the floor, and not in the trunk it would take up a lot of cargo space. It IS what Volvo did with the V60 hybrid. This is why that car has a much smaller trunk than any other V60.

BTW: the previous Outlander was build together with PSA. It was also available as Citroen C-Crosser and Peugeot 4007. The current Outlander is pure Mitsubishi. I have owned both and there's quite a difference between the two. Weight saving takes it's toll.

Back