Average total range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettMRC

I'm sure this already been covered, but the search feature won't help me as there are too many results for 'range'! ;)

What sort of range can I expect from a full tank and a full charge, mostly motorway with some rural/town driving at the start/end?

Only asking because we are picking ours up a week today and want to know if I can reasonably expect to get 400miles out of it on a long run? (Doing motorway averages so 70-80)

(most of its life will be spent on short runs, but typically its a 180mile trip each way to collect followed by a 300mile round trip the day after - I want to know how many times I'll have to stop!)

Many thanks! :D

400 miles is right up at the top end of the range - the car has a 10 gallon tank and can achieve 40mpg if driven reasonably gently. EV range is 30 miles max - so you can expect to run out soon after your 400 miles.

BrettMRC said:
I'm sure this already been covered, but the search feature won't help me as there are too many results for 'range'! ;)

What sort of range can I expect from a full tank and a full charge, mostly motorway with some rural/town driving at the start/end?

Only asking because we are picking ours up a week today and want to know if I can reasonably expect to get 400miles out of it on a long run? (Doing motorway averages so 70-80)

(most of its life will be spent on short runs, but typically its a 180mile trip each way to collect followed by a 300mile round trip the day after - I want to know how many times I'll have to stop!)

400 hahaha I wish! you know I am not sure of the range I get as I do a lot of long runs and fill up every other day! and towards the end it goes goes down pretty quick and then gives quite annoying warnings.

I tend to top up often so I can fill with local cheap supermarket fuel instead of franchise stations or worse still motorway stops so making sure I get there and back on my tank. But its more like 300 miles really, its about 10 gallons but it shows an uncomfortably short range after about 8 so you will want to fuel soon 8 x 37mpg - 296 miles

Thanks for that :)

At least I know it will get home and probably one leg of the following journey before it needs more :)

BobEngineer said:
BrettMRC said:

400 hahaha I wish! you know I am not sure of the range I get as I do a lot of long runs and fill up every other day! and towards the end it goes goes down pretty quick and then gives quite annoying warnings.

I tend to top up often so I can fill with local cheap supermarket fuel instead of franchise stations or worse still motorway stops so making sure I get there and back on my tank. But its more like 300 miles really, its about 10 gallons but it shows an uncomfortably short range after about 8 so you will want to fuel soon 8 x 37mpg - 296 miles

That's what we see on a trip up the motorway. :( Just a little larger fuel tank would have helped...and stopping at the services for an 'Ecotricity' fast charge is pretty pointless in my opinion as you only gain about 15 miles at this time of year due the low ambient temperatures.

Tipper said:
BobEngineer said:
BrettMRC said:

That's what we see on a trip up the motorway. :( Just a little larger fuel tank would have helped...and stopping at the services for an 'Ecotricity' fast charge is pretty pointless in my opinion as you only gain about 15 miles at this time of year due the low ambient temperatures.

Yup, but as I have said before, if you do need a stop it is only 20 minutes to charge and whilst you may have to get it on a motorway you don't have to use it there thanks to the Save button, if you have 10 to 20 miles off motorway the other end it will go a lot further, it can raise your average mpg by often 5mpg for me, and I was stopping anyway, and you get the best parking spots whilst charging. Getting home from an 80 mile run reading 47mpg feels good!

I typically refuel after about 370 miles, and usually have a combination of some local driving, but with at least 200 miles of motorways included. I do try to stop for the motorway top-ups for the reason described above - it's nice to be able complete the non-motorway part of the journey on battery power. My overall MPG is a gnat's whisker under 50 mpg

All this sounds great, I'm picking up a 4h on Friday to replace my current vehicle.

Currently I get around 290 miles from a 22 gallon tank.

onlynik said:
All this sounds great, I'm picking up a 4h on Friday to replace my current vehicle.

Well, you may not get a significantly higher range, but the refill will certainly cost less!

maby said:
onlynik said:

Well, you may not get a significantly higher range, but the refill will certainly cost less!

My refills are rapidly getting more expensive and weighty!

I used to have a 'fuel only' fuel card for many years which eliminated temptation. Now I am on business mileage reimbursement so took out a specific credit card to put fuel on.. unfortunately this card works for wine gums, crisps, Cadburys Boost bars, even sausage rolls as well as petrol of course... not good with temptations.... going to end up weighting as much as my PHEV :shock:

I rarely get more than 200 miles from a full tank. That is either fast motorway, or rural country. This includes liberal use of 'charge' button top-ups needed to haul me up the mountain passes.
So relieved that I neither pay for the car nor the fuel.

nick2b said:
I rarely get more than 200 miles from a full tank. That is either fast motorway, or rural country. This includes liberal use of 'charge' button top-ups needed to haul me up the mountain passes.
So relieved that I neither pay for the car nor the fuel.

Seriously? Thats terrible!

Hypermiler said:
onlynik said:

Omg. What vehicle do you currently have - a tank? :lol:

Porsche Cayenne Turbo (until tomorrow). Lovely vehicle, but the cost of fuel in a month more than pays for a new PHEV.

Hypermiler said:
onlynik said:

Omg. What vehicle do you currently have - a tank? :lol:

I could get the fuel consumption of my 3.5l V8 Landrover up to that level, but I did have to push it quite hard! The natural fuel consumption was about 16mpg.

Slightly off-topic but today with temp down to 2c and frost on windscreen I unusually decided to use ICE to heat car (Gx3h) this morning. As I set the aircon & temp high I was not surprised by mpg in the mid teens. However, after warming up & clearing screen - so lower temp & aircon - I found that car was in fuel maintenance mode, i.e. running with ICE all the time. In driving around in slow moving traffic in central London all day overall mpg only got as high as 20mpg (inc. periods of coasting with ICE off!)

I assume this is normal urban non-EV performance - so you wouldn't get 200 miles out of a tank at that rate. :cry:

greendwarf said:
Slightly off-topic but today with temp down to 2c and frost on windscreen I unusually decided to use ICE to heat car (Gx3h) this morning. As I set the aircon & temp high I was not surprised by mpg in the mid teens. However, after warming up & clearing screen - so lower temp & aircon - I found that car was in fuel maintenance mode, i.e. running with ICE all the time. In driving around in slow moving traffic in central London all day overall mpg only got as high as 20mpg (inc. periods of coasting with ICE off!)

I assume this is normal urban non-EV performance - so you wouldn't get 200 miles out of a tank at that rate. :cry:
Then again, nobody would drive 200 miles at that rate.

I would be ashamed to admit to such wastage and that someone else was footing the bill as well.

Usual bigotry on here I see. I tell you what, follow me on my daily journey and see what you get.

Back